IGNORED

New arcade in Utah -The Game Grid Arcade

I know that there are a few AA members from Utah here so I would like to let you know about my new arcade business that I opened this week at the Valley Fair Mall in West Valley called The Game Grid Arcade. I am still adding a few more games to the mix - my older games have been having issues but I am trying to get them fixed so I can bring them in.

I would like to do a classic game/Atari get together there sometime but I'd like to see what the interest in such a thing is first.

Here is a list of the games that I currently have. I'm doing 6 tokens per dollar:

Big Buck Safari

Blazing Angels

Crystal Castles

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift

Gauntlet Dark Legacy

House of The Dead 4 Super Deluxe (it's the 62" version)

Indiana Jones Pinball

Namco Classic Collection Vol. 2 (with Pac Man, Dig Dug and Rally X with both old and new versions of each game)

Mars Matrix

Mighty Pang - I will probably change this to Ninja Gaiden

Movie Stop - not a video game but self-redemption

NeoGeo cab - 1 slot but I have Crossed Swords, Blazing Star or KOF98 that can go inside

Shrek Pinball

Superman - may change this to something else

SVC CHAOS: SNK vs. Capcom

The Act (uber-rare FMV game but much better than Dragon's Lair or Space Ace)

Warlords Cocktail

Games I expect to have or have working soon:

Carnevil - the guns don't work and I ordered replacements almost three weeks ago, they are *supposed* to be here today

Chase HQ2 - this is a new version of Chase HQ - in 3D, released last year. I also ordered this three weeks ago but for some reason it is taking forever to arrive.

Oriental Legend 2 - a new beat 'em up released this year in Taiwan that has 10 characters and RPG elements to it. Should arrive next week as it's shipping today.

Air hockey - I'm getting this on Sunday thanks to PackratVG. :)

Aliens: Extermination - the seller offered this and then began waffling, hopefully we can work something out

TMNT - same as Aliens as it's the same guy.

Tetris - I was going to put this into Superman but it has no sound

Balloon and Balloon - I also was going to put this into another cabinet but it comes up with a security error

I also am setting up a PC LAN but we're working out some bugs on this as one of the systems keeps crashing and I'm trying to get the internet setup at the location but that is proving to be a pain for some reason.

If you decide to drop by, we are located north of the Red Robin - it is an OUTSIDE entrance as opposed to one of the many stores inside. I don't have a sign up yet as it was only approved a couple of days ago. I should be getting some vinyl lettering in the door today.

I do have some videos of my progress in putting the palce together on my website: http://gamegridarcade.com. Just go to the "Take a Tour" section

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

:OOOO!!!

Warlords Cocktail!

*drools*

That alone I'm sure will do good for an Atari meeting, 4 player warlords FTW!

I would say replace SVC Chaos with TMNT. Not too many people play fighters anymore, and if they do, they either want KoF, SFA3, or MvC2. TMNT would make a ton more money.

I looked inside of SVCChaos and to my surprise all I see is one board - no cartridge or anything like a daughterboard. That surprised me as I truly expected to see an MVS board inside. SVC did OK this weekend but I keep getting requests for Marvel VS. Capcom so I an going to keep an eye out for that.

As far as TMNT goes, I would really like to get a Turtles In Time instead of the original TMNT. But I would be happy with either one. :)

I just replaced Mighty Pang with Ninja Gaiden yesterday. I'm not sure how it will do though - that game gives new meaning to "ridiculously hard".

My Warlords keeps having issues though. Of course this only starts happening after I take it to the arcade, it looks like problems with the board unfortunately. When it is

working no one has tried to play it though - they don't know what they are missing.

I brought in Asteroids Deluxe yesterday. It was working before I moved it but afterwards I get one scan line in the middle of the screen with moving objects. If it isn't one thing, it's another it seems.

Air hockey is coming tomorrow morning. I'll be quite happy to have that on hand. :)

If SVC was not an MVS then it was a dedicated PCB, the only other game I know of that is like this is KOF 2003, which I own the MVS cart, but I've seen PCB kits as well, and if I'm not mistaken, it was JAMMA. if that is the case, you could turn that SVC Chaos into a multi-jamma cab.

And yeah, Marvel Vs. Capcom kicks the crap out of SVC Chaos, even, Capcom vs. SNK.

KOF 98 should do well, but the problem is, not many people know that 98 is probably the best version of KOF. I'd say you should probably swap it out with a game like Metal Slug X. It would probably attract more to it just because of the game it is. Or get a 2 slot board and put it in and run 98 and a Metal slug.

If SVC was not an MVS then it was a dedicated PCB, the only other game I know of that is like this is KOF 2003, which I own the MVS cart, but I've seen PCB kits as well, and if I'm not mistaken, it was JAMMA. if that is the case, you could turn that SVC Chaos into a multi-jamma cab.

And yeah, Marvel Vs. Capcom kicks the crap out of SVC Chaos, even, Capcom vs. SNK.

KOF 98 should do well, but the problem is, not many people know that 98 is probably the best version of KOF. I'd say you should probably swap it out with a game like Metal Slug X. It would probably attract more to it just because of the game it is. Or get a 2 slot board and put it in and run 98 and a Metal slug.

Get MvC2, that kicks the crap out of everything, is the most popular, and I know when I look for a fighting game in an arcade, it is MvC2.

I agree with KoF '98, you're better off getting a newer version, because it looks better.

And yes, they don't know what they're missing on Warlords.

I agree with the SvC Chaos machine. If I'm not mistaken, SvC Chaos is 4 button JAMMA. You can go from there for 4 button JAMMA games.

I am getting MvC1 today - my distributor didn't have 2 so I'll stick with one for the time being until I can find a board to swap out with. Also Chase HQ2 finally shipped out, even though we ordered it about 4-5 weeks ago so it should be here in the next few days.

I think I mentioned that I have a LAN but it's not up and running yet - I'll post about it in the hardware section as I need some help getting this going now.

I like the website.. I like how it has comments on the games coming in and what's wrong with them.

I would like to see pictures on your website of the games.. but definitely more pictures of the arcade itself.. I see the entrance to the arcade and I see the black walls with the colored design. Looks cool!

Good luck on everything. It seems like you have a nice location next to a Red Robin.

I hate to say redemption games, but what about one of those things where you can grab an iPod or a digital camera or something. Those make crazy cash down the shore by me. This one place charges $1 per play, $2 for 3 plays. The other place charges $3 for one play.

Edited by yuppicide

Thanks Yuppicide. I'm trying to make the site as nice and informative as possible as most arcades if they do have a website they put nothing worth looking at on there. The next phase is creating video reviews of each game which I will be adding to the site. I have already uploaded a video of Big Buck Safari and Indiana Jones to youtube and tomorrow I will record Shrek pinball and Blazing Angels and go from there. I might also get a webcam setup at one point if anyone is interested.

I really need to get my network up and running - I'm losing money every day it isn't online but it is proving to be quite difficult.

I do have hopes to pick up another self-redemption or two as time goes on as Movie Stop has been our best earning game (last I checked - it helped that I had a friend dump $20 worth of tokens into it and it's set at 7 tokens per play, my most expensive game).

You probably already are aware of this but just in case you are not...The sound adjustment for Tetris is on the actual PCB. If it's off you will get no sound, it is just a regular dial looking thing you can turn by hand. Just thought I would mention it :)

BTW - The arcade sounds cool, it's always been my dream to do what you are doing. Good luck man, you are living the dream!

You probably already are aware of this but just in case you are not...The sound adjustment for Tetris is on the actual PCB. If it's off you will get no sound, it is just a regular dial looking thing you can turn by hand. Just thought I would mention it :)

BTW - The arcade sounds cool, it's always been my dream to do what you are doing. Good luck man, you are living the dream!

Yeah I found the dial but no luck. Doesn't it just use a POKEY? If I knew which chip is was exactly I could probably replace it without much trouble.

BTW- I am making reviews of each game in my arcade and I already have a few up. I prefer posting the video to Vimeo for better quality as I'm filming these in HD but Vimeo has an upload limit so in the meantime I put them up on youtube, which has a larger viewing base as it is. Soon I'll be getting Chase HQ2, HOTD4, Tokyo Drift and more up.

The Act - extremely rare FMV game that is light-years ahead of Dragon's Lair in interactivity

Blazing Angels - the console game comes to arcades and it actually works out as the arcade version is much better thanks to the setup and modifications to the gameplay.

Shrek Pinball - it's based on Family Guy pinball but it's still fun.

http://vimeo.com/1278913

Indiana Jones Pinball - excellent pinball game that is earning like crazy. Very addicting and the best part is when you get the Raiders of the Lost Ark multiball, which I managed to get in the video.

http://vimeo.com/1254045

Big Buck Safari - even people that despise hunting have fallen in love with this game. It's a lot of fun.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

You should definitely get together with some "organizers" and hold tournaments. Have cash entry fees and cash prizes. You might even want to consider giving out all the entry fee as prize money.. maybe people will buy other stuff while they are there or play other games.

See if you can find some of them dedemption games you can stick iPods and GPS's and stuff in. Those get crazy attention at the shore near me. One place charges $3 bucks PER play! Another charges $1 per play or $2 for 3 plays.

You should definitely get together with some "organizers" and hold tournaments. Have cash entry fees and cash prizes. You might even want to consider giving out all the entry fee as prize money.. maybe people will buy other stuff while they are there or play other games.

See if you can find some of them dedemption games you can stick iPods and GPS's and stuff in. Those get crazy attention at the shore near me. One place charges $3 bucks PER play! Another charges $1 per play or $2 for 3 plays.

If I lived In Utah, I would be there all the time. :D

Rally X and Superman are some forgotten favorites of mine! I haven't played them in years :(

I do wish you the best with this! Good Luck

It's kind of cool to play the "revision" version of RallyX as well. It's basically the same game but with some interesting enhancements.

I decided to change my contest from Marvel VS. Capcom to KOF98. I've been having people come in every day to play KOF but not so much MVC. I'll start out with a $10 entry fee and a $125 cash prize and see how that works although I like the idea of a pot.

Most of my sisters and I are heading down to Shaggy's arcade this coming Saturday afternoon.

If there are any other Utah AtariAgers around, come on down. We're hopefully going to have a 2-player battlesphere (jaguar) network set up, maybe I'll bring my xbox for some guitar hero or something... and then, of course, the ARCADE GAMES!!

I think we'll try some networked doom, too, as I've never given that a go on the jag.

Did you know it's only 33 hours for me to drive from NJ to UT so says MapQuest anyway.

Only 33 hours eh? :D

Things have been picking up since I got my PC LAN started. I haven't had anyone sign up for the KOF 98 tournament yet, I just need to get the word out there a bit more.

I have thought of getting that new Donkey Kong 2 game. I'd need to find a classic Nintendo cabinet to put it in though, for that authentic feel.

Did you know it's only 33 hours for me to drive from NJ to UT so says MapQuest anyway.

Things have been picking up since I got my PC LAN started. I haven't had anyone sign up for the KOF 98 tournament yet, I just need to get the word out there a bit more.

I have thought of getting that new Donkey Kong 2 game. I'd need to find a classic Nintendo cabinet to put it in though, for that authentic feel.

PC LAN up?

How are those 2 PCs?

... and I know you were going to get some flyers printed up. How is taht coming along? You could get Ben to run around the mall during the busy hours and pass them out to the video game-looking kids.

PC LAN up?

How are those 2 PCs?

... and I know you were going to get some flyers printed up. How is taht coming along? You could get Ben to run around the mall during the busy hours and pass them out to the video game-looking kids.

They are running fine now. Apparently there was a multi-GPU setting that was on for those two systems where it wasn't for the others. But I downloaded a new driver last night that says it offers better support for hybrid SLi so I will be testing that out to see if it actually works now.

I've also added some more games to the stack - Assault Cube, Nexuiz (cool Quake 1-based game), Sins of a Solar Empire. I tried getting Alone in the Dark on there (it's actually a 64-bit game, from what I played it's not the best game ever but it has some really cool ideas, sweet graphics and some interesting puzzles) but there's one little thing I need to figure out to get it running w/o the disk.

Flyers - I'm trying with ClubFlyers, I submitted something but they weren't happy with it so I'm trying again.

PC LAN up?

How are those 2 PCs?

They are running fine now. Apparently there was a multi-GPU setting that was on for those two systems where it wasn't for the others. But I downloaded a new driver last night that says it offers better support for hybrid SLi so I will be testing that out to see if it actually works now.

I've also added some more games to the stack - Assault Cube, Nexuiz (cool Quake 1-based game), Sins of a Solar Empire. I tried getting Alone in the Dark on there (it's actually a 64-bit game, from what I played it's not the best game ever but it has some really cool ideas, sweet graphics and some interesting puzzles) but there's one little thing I need to figure out to get it running w/o the disk.

Flyers - I'm trying with ClubFlyers, I submitted something but they weren't happy with it so I'm trying again.

Sounds good.

How did you figure out that problem with the PCs? I guess I'm a little behind with some technology, since I'd never worked with multi-GPU stuff like SLi.

Anyway, at least they're running. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Hopefully those flyers work out as you certainly need some more advertising -- cheap advertising ;)