IGNORED

Dungeon (2600 Release Candidate)

s0c7

I'd like to say this is one of my new favorites. I was always sort of attracted to DC/RPG styled game. I've played Dragonstomper, but was pretty disappointed in it's complexity and there really aren't any other games out there for the 2600 like this. You've done a wonderful job of making this a very simple, yet replayable game. A dungeon-crawl game with a joystick and a button. It doesn't get better than that.

I wanted to point out one peeve with the whole game, and trust me, this is absolutely not personal at all and I don't know how to not be blunt about it... I really don't admire the title music at all. It seems really flat, off-key, and cheesy-sounding. I think something else would be more suitable, if not silence. Something dark and dreary would fit the atmosphere a bit better.

Edited by EarthQuake

I absolutely cannot get enough of this game. It is probably my favorite 2600 game next to Adventure.

I had some questions though regarding the game from a development perspective. Is the 32KB size due to the inefficiency of Batari Basic? Not trying to be negative towards bB, but I understand it is relatively limited in comparison to programming from the start in assembly. It seems the game is pretty simple for a 32KB ROM, although I do understand the calculations required to perform all the game functions are probably pretty extensive.

Also, do you have any plans on sequels or expansions? Perhaps even source code optimizations (on the assembly-level) to allow newer features or more quests and mazes? If not, do you plan to release the source code?

I had some questions though regarding the game from a development perspective. Is the 32KB size due to the inefficiency of Batari Basic?
I have no doubt any of the main players on the asm side could probably do it in half the size. I think the game is actually about 22k ROM wise. bB crashes on me if add even a few more lines of code to what I have now. I do want to point out that I can't imagine programming something like this in asm. It cries out for a high level language.

Also, do you have any plans on sequels or expansions? Perhaps even source code optimizations (on the assembly-level) to allow newer features or more quests and mazes? If not, do you plan to release the source code?
This is looking like my swan song for Atari programming. As for the source, I haven't decided yet.
  • Like 1

I had some questions though regarding the game from a development perspective. Is the 32KB size due to the inefficiency of Batari Basic?
I have no doubt any of the main players on the asm side could probably do it in half the size. I think the game is actually about 22k ROM wise. bB crashes on me if add even a few more lines of code to what I have now. I do want to point out that I can't imagine programming something like this in asm. It cries out for a high level language.

This is looking like my swan song for Atari programming. As for the source, I haven't decided yet.

So this is a bB game? It's strange how some bB games are posted in the bB forum while other bB games get posted in other forums. How do you know which forum to post in?

So this is a bB game? It's strange how some bB games are posted in the bB forum while other bB games get posted in other forums. How do you know which forum to post in?
Yes, this is a bB game (with a bit of asm on the side). There is no "right" forum to post in. If it is something you are planning on releasing and you need testers, this forum gets more traffic.
  • Like 1

Yes, this is a bB game (with a bit of asm on the side). There is no "right" forum to post in. If it is something you are planning on releasing and you need testers, this forum gets more traffic.

Thanks. I need to remember that. I plan to make my own adventure type of game next year with batari Basic once I learn how to create code that isn't so freakin' bloated.

I really hope that this is not your last Atari game - you have stretched Bb to the limit and it would be great to see what you could do in assembly.

Chris

I really hope that this is not your last Atari game - you have stretched Bb to the limit and it would be great to see what you could do in assembly.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm really burned out at the moment and can't face the prospect of starting another game. I have been reading old Stella List posts though. I'm interested in some of the more obscure things people have done with the 2600. I will probably continue to experiment and if I ever do pop up again it will probably be with something written in asm.

David

Note - Eckhard Stolberg wrote the following bit of code. I just twisted it to my purposes.

get_dungeon_robo_shill_.bin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I wanted to try this game out but the ROM has been removed.

Does that mean the game is about to go into production or that it has been cancelled?

Wp

:?

The roms are still there, grab the latest one here.

My fault!

I was looking on page one and found em on page 3.

My bad.

Seems a great game so far. Like Pirate to the next level. Will play it more tomorrow to get the feel.

Wp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just curious. Is this one still in consideration to become a cart? I can't actually afford to be a 2600 collector and buy this one, but I think it would be really cool if it did become a cart. Especially for when I finally find a good job and have more money to continue collecting new things (I collect Rock N' Roll memorabilia, playing cards, 80's gamebooks, and out of print board games (don't have the money anymore since I lost my job and car, I would love to collect 2600 games though) ). It has great possibilities for some cool feelies too. Just curious. I love this game btw.

Yep. It's in the queue with everything else (Juno First, Lead, etc.) When the sale kicks off is beyond our control. And yes, there will be a neat "extra" with the cart. Al sure has a cool avatar, don't cha think?

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

I am very glad to support your efforts (I think I'm the number one fan of Pirate).

Thanks John. I appreciate that. Any progress being made on STB?

- David

PS

I had completely forgotten about the SE version of Pirate I did until I saw you mention it the other day. For those who like Pirate but missed it the first time around:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1231667

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I'll dig this thread up after a long break to note that I purchased this game from the AA store, but it does not seem to work correctly on the 7800. As soon as I get to the first door in the game (if open), I am returned to the title screen as I pass through the opening. The game works fine on an actual 2600. This long after development, I just mention a detail like this to record it for others to find.

Unless . . . there is any appetite to somehow update this game either for the 2600 or <gasp> the 7800. The 7800 needs a game like this desperately, and I'd love to see an update.

Regarding the 2600 version, It's too bad that there was not a harder difficulty variation. Simply making the chest be able to shock you for more damage would have created a situation where you might choose to destroy it more often which would shake things up quite a bit. I'm sure the math behind the scenes could also be made less advantageous for the player as well.

Some other ideas for variations:

Princess requires an Excaliber strike (to break her chains)

Chest can be empty

Excaliber only found after level 5

Holy Grail heals you but drains your magic

Lightning cast can miss

Some kind of ranking would be nice at the end based on time, life remaining, objects acquired - doesn't have to be complicated. "Thy rank is Lizard Fodder" or "Defender of the Realm" etc. Even a 1 through 9 would be something.

One question I have to anyone who plays this: Can the demon be damaged by magic. In my version of the game it can, but this guide says it cannot:

http://www.electricfrankfurter.com/2010/07/closer-look-9.html

You are the only person I've heard of who has had issues with a 7800. I know it's worked for others. Anybody else had 7800 issues? Regardless, it's a 2600 game. Can't promise compatibility.

You've played it with both difficulty switches set to A, right?

There will not be a 7800 version. At least not by me.

He wrote the guide based on his observations, not all of which are completely accurate.... ;)

• Like 2