IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I'm using a 128GB on the GDEMU and it came formatted in FAT32 as did the 256GB card I have and both are marked SDHC. Bought them from Amazon

The 128GB does it work on the PSIO. Have not bothered to try the 256GB

My mac will also format in FAT32 with no problem. You can do it using the terminal in OSX actually

You can add that the PSIO is rather easy to install, and if I'm right, bypass any region lock, so you can play anything on it that isn't special.

[sNIPPED]

Sorry but it's about the same. You need to install a switch board to toggle a few lines that allows both PSIO and the original CD drive to work. About 8 wires, about the same difficulity as latest modchip like mm3. Like mod chip, it's install and forget type of mod. Additional switch boards are available if you want to make multiple PSX/PSOne work without ordering more than one PSIO. ie one for your home, one for your parent's house when you come visit, and one for your annoying sibling who wants to play with it but not pay over $150 for it.

I did not know that the multi-CD method was so updated, the current system is very promising. I would prefer that a disc swap be done by pressing the CD eject mechanism, and I believe I read about a one wire mod to do that. The spring and latch on the CD door are probably much more robust than on the SD card slot.

If your game does not necessarily want you to go to the next disc in sequence, then I suppose you have to keep ejecting and inserting until you get to the correct disc in sequence, which is rare but not unheard of.

Sorry but it's about the same. You need to install a switch board to toggle a few lines that allows both PSIO and the original CD drive to work. About 8 wires, about the same difficulity as latest modchip like mm3. Like mod chip, it's install and forget type of mod. Additional switch boards are available if you want to make multiple PSX/PSOne work without ordering more than one PSIO. ie one for your home, one for your parent's house when you come visit, and one for your annoying sibling who wants to play with it but not pay over $150 for it.

Truth is, I never modchipped a PS1 (the last time I read about was around 2002, and there were still a need to modchip the console for region swap AND a second modchip to read burned games), but with the "classic" modchip method, you still have to burn your CD-ROM, which in the next 10/15 ears is probably going to get hard, because CD-ROM are going to vanish from the shelves, and CD-RW are not infinite and the older PS1 model won't read them anyway.

So even if the PSIO have minor inconveniences, so far it's going to be the best method available. And if it doesn't, then to upgrade, since the hardware mod is only rewiring, it mean you'll just have to buy the PSIO II and plug it into your console, whereas with a modchip, then you gotta take your work down and redo it.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

DVD/CD-R drives and media aren't going anywhere for the forseable future. Even when most netbooks or ultra-thin laptops omit them, they have USB drives for that.

Not only that, but you can still buy NIB 5.25" and 8" disks from certain manufacturers. As long as there's a business use for it, SOMEONE will continue making it.

• Like 2

Probably like record disc, special coated metal disk with certain equipment to engrave the grooves. A CED burner probably doesn't exist though unless you got your hand at the master disc machine at the factories where they made master of video disk to make pressed copes.

It's called Bit Torrent and DVD±R. :ahoy:

Seriously, CED are basically a glorified record player that outputs composite video. Get with the times...

And I suppose you tell people who drives Model T Ford or a 1966 Mustang car to "get with the time" by suggesting they look for something made with factory installed air bags, factory installed ABS, factory power steering and brakes, mileage better than 3 MPG, and more.

:D Some people just like having old things around for reason.

And I suppose you tell people who drives Model T Ford or a 1966 Mustang car to "get with the time" by suggesting they look for something made with factory installed air bags, factory installed ABS, factory power steering and brakes, mileage better than 3 MPG, and more.

:D Some people just like having old things around for reason.

Don't get me wrong, vinyl records are hella cool, but composite video on a record platter just doesn't do it for me. I don't have nostalgia for VHS or floppy disks. Carts and vinyl records are awesome though.

• 2 weeks later...

Dreamcast:

• Dreamcast USB-GDROM Controller: A device has been created to replace the GD-ROM of the Dreamcast. This device is being sold out of Kazakhstan, and you need to contact the person who makes them on Skype or ICQ and wait.
  • Dreamcast SD Cards: Click here and scroll down to the Q&A in the fourth post for some information. Easiest and safest way to obtain one is probably through Ebay. Please don't follow the instructions on purchasing one in the first post. Basically this allows you to play homebrew and certain commercial games through the Serial port on the Dreamcast. Compatibility is not the best, but it's currently being worked on.

The above require updating - the first link is dead

The above require updating - the first link is dead

Actually a lot of links are now dead or wrong, and a lot of devices are missing from those first two posts. Sadly only PsychedelicShaman can update the first two posts and he rarely updates it. The last lists of systems I created shortly after he added a list of systems I created (in the correct format) were not added, so I just post about them here now. If someone wants something bad enough they will do the research and find the item and correct link.

I don't think it is that hard to find anything if you do a search for the system you're interested in and search this thread specifically.

So much of the information changes I think it would be a burden on any one person to continually update the first couple posts.

I think anyone here who is motivated to do so can post updates in the thread so that we can search for a system we desire a flash cart for, and easily find it.

Post updates to the list in the thread so we can all take note of the changes.

BTW I have been playing with the PSIO & the GDEMU side by side and am enjoying them

They both have their drawbacks and require updates to their rather primative menu systems, especially the GDEMU which requires the disc image to be inside a numbered folder, like PSIO , but the name of the file must be "disc.cdi" or other acceptable extensions. In order to know what game you have in the folder when The SD is in your computer, you have to have a text file or an empty folder with the name of the game. Just a little weird considering that to code the menu software to read file names can't be all that difficult since PSIO does it just fine.

The PSIO needs a lot of game fixes. More so than are being reported on the website but they have a forum for compatibility testing where you can find out the latest updates and see if a game you're playing is actually buggy or if t is a bad disc image.

I'll try to write a review of the two devices here soon.

I also am about to experiment with some of the floppy emulators for my Atari ST and Amiga 500. I have not had time to drag all tha stuff out and install them but the devices, which I found thanks to this thread, are sitting here waiting for a rainy day when I can set them up.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Hey there everyone :)

Lately I've been interested in finding emulators for other systems that I can run on my DS Lite, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend the best flash cart option for a DS Lite and some reliable emulators for other systems that I could run on it? The systems I'm most interested in emulating on my DS Lite are (if possible) Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and Sega Genesis.

I know that for a long time R4 cards were pretty popular but these days it seems like there's so many clones and knockoffs using the name "R4" floating around that I really don't know what the best option to go with is going to be. This will be my first foray into flashcarts so I'd really appreciate some guidance if anyone can offer it.

Edited by Jin

My experience with the glut of DS flash carts is that they are all pretty much the same now and incredibly cheap. If you order from a reputable seller (I'd rather not post links here for that but it's easily found via Google and site reviews to make sure it's not a fly by night operation)

As for an up to date list of emulators for the DS Lite, head over to gbatemp.net. They have all the stuff you want.

(Don't ask about roms ? )

• Like 2

My experience with the glut of DS flash carts is that they are all pretty much the same now and incredibly cheap. If you order from a reputable seller (I'd rather not post links here for that but it's easily found via Google and site reviews to make sure it's not a fly by night operation)

As for an up to date list of emulators for the DS Lite, head over to gbatemp.net. They have all the stuff you want.

(Don't ask about roms )

Thanks for the reference to gbatemp.net! I'll head on over there and check out what emulator options are available. I already know about not asking for ROM links, but I sure would appreciate recommendations for brands and retailers to buy a DS Lite flash cart from. I've been scouring Google for a while now, but being so new to this topic I've got no idea what features to look for in a cart and which retailers are reputable to buy from. For most of the systems I enjoy the answer is pretty simple: "Buy an Everdrive straight from Krikzz". For the DS Lite though there isn't an Everdrive, and there are so many other options that my head is just kinda spinning trying to figure out what my best option is going to be.

Most of the carts are like $15 or something, even less. Best to not worry about it too much as far features because that market is static . They're all very similar . Pick a store and then google the store name to see if it has good reviews. The ones in Canada & USA are usually ok and just pull the trigger cuz the money is nothing for this particular cart .

also, gbatemp probably has a review section on carts and stores. I know they used to. Been a while since was into exactly what you're doing and as I recall I could play all the GB/GBC and Genesis games I threw at it and t didn't matter which card I had.

I hear you Jin. I'm still waiting for Krikzz to release the GBA Everdrive. The current solution has some rather not nice conversion software for converting the ROMs into a format the flash card can read. With the No Intro set occupying 24Gb on a 32Gb card, this proposition is not without issues.

I hear you Jin. I'm still waiting for Krikzz to release the GBA Everdrive. The current solution has some rather not nice conversion software for converting the ROMs into a format the flash card can read. With the No Intro set occupying 24Gb on a 32Gb card, this proposition is not without issues.

After spending much of the night reading up on DS flash carts over at GBATemp.net I ended up ordering an original R4 card with a 2 GB Sandisk Micro SD card from a reputable US based shop. The total came to $19.49 shipped, and for that price I think I'll have a lot of fun with it. I really just want it to expand my DS Lite's capabilities to play original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and Sega Genesis games in addition to it's native GBA and DS compatibility; and with the Wood R4 firmware it should do just that. I'm also digging the homebrew software that will let me run the original PC Doom WADs in all their glory on my DS Lite. That should beat the pants off of the GBA version of Doom that I usually play! :D

If I end up getting a lot of use out of my R4 and want a flash cart for the current generation of New 3DS systems I can always save up and get a more expensive cart like the DSTwo, which will have enough extra memory to run GBA and MAME games and can sneak around the current 3DS anti-piracy software. But that would be an $80 investment after the cost of a big 32 GB Micro SDHC card, so for the time being I'm just going to play around with R4 and see if I end up using it enough to warrant shelling out the big money for a more powerful flash cart.

Edited by Jin

After spending much of the night reading up on DS flash carts over at GBATemp.net I ended up ordering an original R4 card with a 2 GB Sandisk Micro SD card from a reputable US based shop. The total came to $19.49 shipped, and for that price I think I'll have a lot of fun with it. I really just want it to expand my DS Lite's capabilities to play original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and Sega Genesis games in addition to it's native GBA and DS compatibility; and with the Wood R4 firmware it should do just that. I'm also digging the homebrew software that will let me run the original PC Doom WADs in all their glory on my DS Lite. That should beat the pants off of the GBA version of Doom that I usually play! :D

If I end up getting a lot of use out of my R4 and want a flash cart for the current generation of New 3DS systems I can always save up and get a more expensive cart like the DSTwo, which will have enough extra memory to run GBA and MAME games and can sneak around the current 3DS anti-piracy software. But that would be an $80 investment after the cost of a big 32 GB Micro SDHC card, so for the time being I'm just going to play around with R4 and see if I end up using it enough to warrant shelling out the big money for a more powerful flash cart.

I got a DSTwo for my DS XL, best cart ever IMHO, especially for GBA emulation.

Just fyi, AFAIK there are no cartridges for current 3DS systems, unless you get one with old firmware version ( I think 9.2 or below) otherwise you're screwed on that for now..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ERDbj0s.jpg

https://twitter.com/krikzz

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3446.0

No more icky hard to use flash cart requiring obsolete mini-SD and painful ROM management!!! No light sensor so no Boktai type game. No other idea yet what will work and what won't work due to missing special parts. May need to use hacked ROMs to bypass special needs.

• Like 2