IGNORED

Disk Drive Problems, loading & saving

RedBeard

Howdys. I'm sorry if this is a sort of double post. The other one is in the Emulation topic, but this one may be the right spot.

Essentially, I am ignorant/functionally-retarded of how to properly load and save (via LOAD "D:GAME.BAS" etc.). If I have the disk drive on then reboot, I get the DOS prompt. If I turn the drive on later, I get a 130 error. I am trying to work through some programming examples and need this functionality.

anyhelp, much thanks...

><>RedBeard

/* Here's my system: Atari800 WinPlus 4.0 emulating Atari XL w/ 128k - on Toshiba notebook running WinXP */

Indeed, it's a computer-usage problem and not emulation-related at all.

Just boot from the DOS diskette with BASIC turned on. This will load DOS to memory, but instead of showing the DOS menu, it will start BASIC. From there, you can LOAD the BAS files.

You can go to DOS from BASIC by entering the DOS command (for example, if you'd like to view the disk directory). From DOS, you can return to BASIC using the B: RUN CARTRIDGE option.

EDIT: machf, you've beat me to it :)

Edited by Kr0tki

Thanks so much, you two! I really appreciate it.

It appears that I had BASIC turned off (in >Atari >Options >Disable Basic) now it works. As I said, I'm trying to work through some of the books/programs at atariarchives_dot_org. I wanted to use the ATR disk images instead of do all the typing myself.

Can you tell me why "turn off basic" is an option? When would I use it? Also (while I'm thinking of it) should I consider using the emulated hard drive? Is there anything tricky about it, etc.?

><>RedBeard

/* Thank you. Thank you. Thank you again. */

Well, you may want to disable BASIC so the computer can use the full RAM for loading some other program (not one written in BASIC, of course) that needs it. The way the computer addresses memory, on XL/XE models you either have the BASIC ROM at addresses $A000 to $BFFF, or available RAM, but not both at the same time.

Also (while I'm thinking of it) should I consider using the emulated hard drive? Is there anything tricky about it, etc.?

Not sure what you mean by "emulated hard drive" but I run my bbs using the emulator and 8 16meg ATR images for my drives. It's a lot more space than I need but WTF. It would have been NICE back in 1984 to have had 8 hard drives on my BBS!!!

Oh... maybe you are referring to the H: device. I only use that to transfer files from PC to ATR image - it is a bit tricky especially in older versions of the emulator.

An 18meg ATR Image?!

I didn't know such a thing was possible. I guess in my mind, I just assumed that an ATR was limited to the specs of the hardware back in the day. How can I find or create such a large image? I could use it then as a "pretend" hard drive, just that it sits on the floppy drive as far as the emu is concerned, eh?

><>RedBeard

/* How do you navigate a drive that size? Using SpartaDOS or something? I don't remember DOS 2.5 having "cd .." or anything. */

An 18meg ATR Image?!

I didn't know such a thing was possible. I guess in my mind, I just assumed that an ATR was limited to the specs of the hardware back in the day. How can I find or create such a large image? I could use it then as a "pretend" hard drive, just that it sits on the floppy drive as far as the emu is concerned, eh?

><>RedBeard

/* How do you navigate a drive that size? Using SpartaDOS or something? I don't remember DOS 2.5 having "cd .." or anything. */

Actually it is 16 meg but what's 2 meg??? I don't use anything but SpartaDOS (mostly). Here's a ZIPped 16 meg blank ATR - have fun, Formatted with SpartaDOS in DD.

blank2_16m.zip

EDIT: BTW.... you can format this with MyDOS if you'd rather use a DOS 2-style DOS.

Edited by bf2k+

Hey, thanks again bf2k+.

Funny, though, when I boot with that one in the drive, I get this:

Error: No DOS

I tried "turning" the disk, in case it thought I was trying to read the B Side or something, but it didn't help. I'm afraid my ignorance is, once again, a stumbling block. Do I need some other setting? Hold down a key while booting? I'm at a loss.

><>RedBeard

/* Wow! A 16 meg disk! That's like 11 (!) of those new fangled 3.5" floppies I heard about! */

Hey, thanks again bf2k+.

Funny, though, when I boot with that one in the drive, I get this:

Error: No DOS

Correct... there is no DOS on the disk - it's a blank formatted disk; formatted with SpartaDOS, but the DOS is not loaded on the disk. It's blank!

Aha!

Color me embarrassed. I need to have an 8 bit mindset. Somehow I keep thinking as if every machine has a hard drive and a floppy drive and boots ready for CD reading and USB saving.

The 8 bit scene is different. The machines and periferals are more like hand tools that you need to use one at a time, carefully, in order to craft your project.

><>RedBeard

/* I'm a'gonna go try it now. */