IGNORED

eeePC & Atari Emulator

Black eeePC can "easily" aesthetically modded to become an Atari XL and white to become an Atari XE!

In that case I would buy this modded eeePC!

maybe... we "retro" geeks love tiny machines... ;)

Surely! For example I love ZX Spectrum's design.

Edited by Philsan

I have a Eee 701 4G (in Black) with 1GB RAM and after a couple of months of ownership I've decided to part ways with it and get an atom based small form factor device instead...

I really found the overly small display and limited onboard storage a massive bind as far as emulation was concerned to be honest (I use an 8GB SD card too) and linux just too much effort given I have to maintain a household of PC's and MAC's already.

I tried the XP install, but it's a bit of a kludge and will go for a system with it pre-installed next time - most likely an XP Eee 901 system, as I like the ASUS design....

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

There is a Debian Lenny install image that works quite well for these units. I chose it because it is about as polished in terms of all the little hardware bits working as the stock Xandros-derived install. It also doesn't require excessive system administration to get it working well afterward.

Basically, do the bare bones install then apt-get the Desktop of your choice. I went with XFCE to keep things lightweight but richly functional.

Atari800 would be an apt-get (or Synaptic if ya like point-n-click) away once done.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC

If you want to stay with the stock OS, packages from or built for Debian Etch work well as long as they don't uninstall or conflict with any package that has Xandros or ASUS in it's name. This is mostly safe because the stock OS is an Etch derivative. Short of installing an entire KDE desktop or doing an apt-get dist-upgrade, I haven't encountered packages that caused problems when I ran the old OS. The Etch repositories have an older Atari800 package or you can use an Etch running in a virtual on a desktop machine to built a recent one. I went to Lenny because I want to run things like Firefox 3 which would have been a PITA on the old OS.

Edited by frogstar_robot

But I'm pretty sure that e.g. G2F runs fine with 'Wine' - you could give Wine for the other

tools a try too...?

CU

Irgendwer

G2F has problems with WINE, at least the last couple of times I've tried it... Haven't tried version 1.0 of WINE with it yet though. It always gave me problems when trying to import a windows bitmap, and in zoom mode.

What Linux needs is a GTK port of G2F...

Wow. I never knew there were quite so many Linux ppl on here. (Is it okay if I say 'Linux Nerds'? I don't mean it in a bad way, but a good, computer-ese kind of way.) The next time I need Linux help, I will come here.

Redb3ard: You should see how many folks on Atari scene meetings here use EeePCs. Its the perfect

partymachine. I added an internal 4GB USB stick for having some more space and it also has a SD slot,

where you can swap your SD cards. Its SDHC compatible, i use 4GB cards now, larger ones are still

too pricey.

B33tle: thanks for giving me a l33t spelling. I am honored. It must be nice to have an "Atari scene". My town is rather small and there aren't many 'scenes' at all unless you call dope-smoking a scene.

><>RedBeard

/* B33tle: When you use phrases like, 'you should see', you sound like a native U.S. English speaker. Are you? I see you are in Deutschland, but you must have spent some time here; no? I lived in Germany when I was very young, but don't speak the language. */

Oops, i am used to type RedBeard with 3 instead of e from IRC chat.

You're not the guy who has the nickname 'Redb3ard' on #atari ?

Me sound like native U.S. speaking? You're kidding, aren't you?

My english is simple school english... I just hang out on IRC quite often.

I guess i have a terrible german accent.

Back to Topic: Emulators on EeePC :)

Right now i try to figure out how xMame-sdl might do fullscreen...

I guess I didn't think of the stock EeePC with its Linux based operating system would let you update or install packages. Various screenshots that I have seen make it look self contained / un-modifiable. Or is installing Atari done only *after* you've installed another OS, e.g. Debian? I guess it could be like a small 800XL laptop if you wanted, huh?

><>RedBeard

/* TO CLARIFY: I am not in the 'dope - smoking scene' that I spoke about. I'm just saying that it exists around here. I ain't sayin' if I agree or disagree or anything, I'm just sayin'...it exists.

B33tle: Your English looks fine. The phrase "you should see" sounds very 'native speaker' to me. Perhaps it translates directly in German, as well? And, no I am not Redb3ard. That's pretty funny, though: how many red bearded atari fans are there? Two (or more) apparently...Crazy! */

Edited by RedBeard

I guess I didn't think of the stock EeePC with its Linux based operating system would let you update or install packages. Various screenshots that I have seen make it look self contained / un-modifiable. Or is installing Atari done only *after* you've installed another OS, e.g. Debian? I guess it could be like a small 800XL laptop if you wanted, huh?

Actually, this isn't the case. The stock OS is ultimately derived from Debian Etch and will run most packages built for it. If you google about for "Easy Mode Editor" you'll find a way to add more software to the Easy Interface. You can also turn on "Advanced Mode" where the UI resembles XP. Anyhoo, if you follow those guides, you can install Synaptic which is a GUI to the Debian package system and point an EEE at a Debian package repository. Various individuals also have repositories of software for the stock OS. Once pointed at these repositories, you'll have many many many things you can install. An older version of Atari800 IS in the Etch repos (2.0.2).

The only real catch is that Etch is the current Debian Stable and it will be supported for at least two more years. The only updates made to the software in Etch are security and bugfixes: no new features. Server admins tend to like that very much but it means that anyone using it as a desktop or laptop OS has to either be happy with the software of two years ago or backport current releases which ranges from fairly simple to implausible depending on how many current libraries the new stuff needs. Building a current Atari800 would be one of the simple ones ;) . If you ever want to get into that, I'd recommend installing Etch or the "EEE Development Kit" in VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) so that you don't stuff up your little machine with devkit detritus.

Tell ya all what. I have an Etch box that I use to build packages for my servers. If anyone would like the Atari800 2.0.3 built for a stock OS EEE, I'd be happy to roll that up for you.

Edited by frogstar_robot

The only real catch is that Sarge is the current Debian Stable and it will be supported for at least two more years.

Not quite. Current stable is "Etch", the successor of Sarge. (security) support for Sarge ended March of this year.

BTW: The easiest method to create packages for Debian Sarge (or any other Debian release) is to do it in a chroot. It doesn't matter if your main Linux is Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, ... as you have all needed programs/libs/... in a separate directory. The only requirement is that your processor is x86 compatible (32 or 64 bit mode doesn't matter).

Just search for "debootstrap" (it's a perl-script) and then enter

debootstrap --arch i386 sarge ./sarge-chroot

After a little while you have all base files of Sarge in that directory and then can do a "chroot sarge-chroot", setup your /etc/apt/sources.list and start installing, compiling etc.

so long,

Hias

puh... that's why I stay to 6502 assembler... ;) you Linux freaks are "freaks" as well... ;)

btw. just got my memory upgrade for my eee and played around with works plus xp in the store eee-pc and it seems fast enough... :) as you guys told me that anyway...

but unfortunatly I have an older eee which does not come with an XP disc so I have to search my XP... in an ideal world is there not a possibility that someone compiles an a800 which you could start from USB stick in the eee-linux? for dummies like me?

then I would only need a XASM/MADS version as well and I would be happy :)

puh... that's why I stay to 6502 assembler... ;) you Linux freaks are "freaks" as well... ;)

btw. just got my memory upgrade for my eee and played around with works plus xp in the store eee-pc and it seems fast enough... :) as you guys told me that anyway...

but unfortunatly I have an older eee which does not come with an XP disc so I have to search my XP... in an ideal world is there not a possibility that someone compiles an a800 which you could start from USB stick in the eee-linux? for dummies like me?

then I would only need a XASM/MADS version as well and I would be happy :)

Ask and ye shall receive:

Atari++: http://uploaded.to/?id=q07kuw

Atari800: http://uploaded.to/?id=bi9qh1

I have to run out the door right now so I won't be able to look into your XASM/MADS until later.

Collegue of mine bought the Medion (msi wind) netbook I mentioned... It's a nice device but I read reviews at Chip.de, PCWELT.de and Computerbild and the only issue with the device is the 3cell battery instead of the 6cell... so good that I haven't bought it yet as 2hours battery usage is imho not good enough for a mobile device esp. for a "netbook".

so I am still waiting for the Wind...

Frogstar... thanks... I saved them on a flashdrive and how do I start them on my eee? double click opens the dialog with which application I want to start them?

any help much appreciated... :)

You may have to set the executable bits. Linux doesn't use three letter extensions like .com, and .exe to mark files executable. Instead, "executable" is one of three basic permission types. The other two are Read and Write. Try right clicking the files and seeing if you have an option to toggle them executable. If not, press ctrl-alt-T to get a shell. "cd" to the directory containing the executables and do "chmod 755 atari800.sdl" followed by "chmod 755 atari++".

You will also need the OS roms and so-forth same as when you use them on Windows. I can give you configs for those if you have trouble. You'll only need fix the directory names to match you put things.

Edited by frogstar_robot

ok. changed the administrator password and i could enter the chmod commands finally. but when i double click on the files in the file manager it still shows with which program i want to open it...

and when trying to start the files via the console i got "bash. atari++ no command"

Edited by Heaven/TQA

well... not allowed to set the bits...

Try to copy it from your flashdrive to your home directory and start it from there. If the flash drive is formatted with a FAT filesystem, both the read and executable bit is (kind of) automagically set for all files. But it could also be that the flash drive is mounted with the "noexec" option. In this case you see the executable bit, but Linux will refuse to start the program.

so long,

Hias