IGNORED

eeePC & Atari Emulator

Rock'n Roll... Thanks Hiass, you were right... now i can double click on the emu and it runs...ole!!!

and atari800 runs 100% atari speed... now i am praying for the xasm or better mads port and i have a portable dev system... ;)

or a nice Atari800 laptop... ;)

Edited by Heaven/TQA

now i am praying for the xasm or better mads port and i have a portable dev system... ;)

or a nice Atari800 laptop... ;)

Then try the attached file (mads 1.8.2). I compiled it on my Debian Lenny box, but it seems to be linked statically (i.e. no additional libraries required) and even runs on my (really) old Debian Woody box (haven't tried it yet on my even more ancient Debian Potato laptop :-).

so long,

Hias

mads.zip

One other helpful hint: If running binaries from a console and they are not in your $PATH (type "env" to see) then you'll have to prefix a "./" eg

./atari800.sdl

A single period means "this directory" and when you run a program in a directory a trailing slash indicates that it is in fact in a directory so that is why "./" means "run the following executable in the present directory". It makes more sense if you are running something in a different directory eg

/usr/games/atari800.sdl (run the copy of atari800.sdl stored in /usr/games)

~/Documents/atari++ (run the copy of atari800.sdl sitting in the stupid place in my Home Directory that my browser likes to drop things)

Incidentally that single period business is more broadly useful:

cd ~ (change to the root of my Home Directory. "pwd" will tell you where that is in absolute terms btw)

mv Documents/atari++ . (move that file to the present working directory)

now i am praying for the xasm or better mads port and i have a portable dev system... ;)

If you aren't married to xasm or mads, there are several other cross-assemblers that run on Linux with no emulation or other weirdness required:

- DASM (my favorite), http://sourceforge.net/projects/dasm/

- Atasm, very compatible with Mac/65, http://sourceforge.net/projects/atasm/

- ca65, part of the cc65 suite (ca65 is the assembler; cc65 is a C cross compiler), http://www.cc65.org/

All of the above are cross-platform (can be built for Linux, Windows, Mac, heck Solaris or AIX if you like). They all support macros, include files, and all the other good stuff you'd want from a 6502 assembler.

Thanks Hiass,

but again stucked... I have depacked the zip into my eee-memory and then pressed STRG+ALT+T for the console... but when i enter mads the console does say -su:mads: command not found.

same when booting in admin mode....

i changed the bits like with the others... this reminds me somehow back to my amiga times when i hated the cli...;)

or do i have to copy mads into the BIN folder?

ok. when copied to the bin folder i got "SPEICHERZUGRIFFSFEHLER" by my eee back.

well... i got that when I changed the bits like with the other files... but when I use copy in adnmin mode directly out of the zip file into the bin folder and entering MADS in the console I now get "keine berechtigung",,,,

I love it... ;) but at the moment I will not put XP yet on this machine... ;)

Edited by Heaven/TQA

ok. when copied to the bin folder i got "SPEICHERZUGRIFFSFEHLER" by my eee back.

Strange...

So here's a second try. This time I compiled mads on my sarge box, using freepascal version 1.9.4. Copy the "mads" file from the ZIP to your bin folder and then, in a shell, "cd" to that folder and do a "chmod 755 mads" to setup correct permissions.

Unfortunately I don't have an Eee PC (yet :-) to test this. But I it worked fine on my woody, sarge and lenny boxes (tested with the "os2ram.asm" example).

so long,

Hias

mads_182_sarge.zip

Thanks, Hiass, but i still got Speicherzugriffsfehler, when I am entering MADS in the admin console and in the user console...

hmmm... it seems i am not good enough for linux... ;)

Do these tools just display text to a console for their output? If so, that may be your problem. If you run a console tool from a gui then at most you'll get a blip of text and shutdown and probably not even that. If so, right click on your tool and see if their is a toggle box to "run in a shell" or some such. Otherwise, ctrl-alt-t, cd to directory (save this if dumped right in home like previous post), ./name_of_tool.

Later on today, I'll see if I can get a chance to run them on my Etch box and sort this for you.

OK, last try - for now - mads 1.8.2 compiled on my etch box.

If this also segfaults, try running "strace -o mads-log ./mads" and then to a "cat mads-log". I hope strace (it prints a trace of the system calls) is installed on your Eee. On my linux boxes it looks like this:

execve("./mads", ["./mads"], [/* 41 vars */]) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGFPE, {0x807ace8, [], SA_SIGINFO}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {0x807ace8, [], SA_SIGINFO}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGBUS, {0x807ace8, [], SA_SIGINFO}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGILL, {0x807ace8, [], SA_SIGINFO}, NULL, 8) = 0
old_mmap(NULL, 262144, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40000000
old_mmap(NULL, 32768, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40040000
readlink("/proc/self/exe", 0x8105541, 255) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
old_mmap(NULL, 32768, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40048000
write(1, "mads 1.8.2\n", 11)			= 11
old_mmap(NULL, 262144, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40050000
write(1, "Syntax: mads source [switches]\r\n"..., 256) = 256
write(1, "th\t\tAdditional include directori"..., 256) = 256
write(1, "ferenced procedures\r\n-u\t\tWarn of"..., 47) = 47
_exit(3)								= ?

BTW: to be sure that everything went OK when transferring the file here's the md5 checksum of the new mads ("md5sum mads"):

5ca484a2c05698b0734ddcde349fe069  mads

so long,

Hias

mads_182_etch.zip

I'll be joining in the eeepc fun soon, I just bought one this weekend! In the meantime though, I spent some time playing around setting up the eeepc xandros image up in vmware. Asus distributes everything you need. Kind of a pain, gotta get up a Xandros VM (or a real box I suppose), install the eeepc SDK, then convert the eeepc .iso to a vmware disk image.

Anyway, I was just reading this thread, noticed some folks without an eeepc were trying to help, and I thought I'd mention that even if you dont have one yet, you can play around the with actual OS, for free.

Charlie

Oh here is a link to the files.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=215613

Edited by charliecron

I'll be joining in the eeepc fun soon, I just bought one this weekend! In the meantime though, I spent some time playing around setting up the eeepc xandros image up in vmware. Asus distributes everything you need. Kind of a pain, gotta get up a Xandros VM (or a real box I suppose), install the eeepc SDK, then convert the eeepc .iso to a vmware disk image.

Anyway, I was just reading this thread, noticed some folks without an eeepc were trying to help, and I thought I'd mention that even if you dont have one yet, you can play around the with actual OS, for free.

Charlie

Oh here is a link to the files.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=215613

I'll further note these images are the best way to produce custom packages that aren't provided by stock package repositories. The Linux load on the EEE goes out of it's way to be an appliance. It can be used just fine as a general purpose Linux machine but the usual niceties that a distro like Ubuntu or Fedora provides to make this easier like a GUI package management tool and an extensive repository of prebuilt recent software are either absent or severely truncated. This is all fixable but takes a bit of tweaking.

Basing the things on Etch was a somewhat nasty touch. I like Etch, I really do since I can configure things like LDAP and mail servers and they just sit there and run for years and I don't have to worry about the security and bugfix patches breaking things. But a stodgy frozen server OS isn't the thing for a trendy consumer OS where more demanding users are going to want to run newer software. You can run newer software but you'll have to build backport packages yourself. That's what these VMware images are good for. You can stuff them up with build-essential and all those -dev packages. Anyone who tries that route let me suggest the following:

Debian Sid has debianized source packages for almost anything you'd want. Pulling down tarballs and manually figuring out deps is for the birds when Debian will do this for you. The secret is to chuck in a deb-src line pointing at Sid and regular pointer at the Etch package repository thusly in the /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

So say I want a recent and proper Atari800 package for my EEE with stock OS. I build it thusly.

#apt-get update (this updates the database of available binary and source packages)

#apt-get install build-essential debhelper (pulls in all the compilers and Debian package building tools. only need to do this one once....)

#apt-get build-dep atari800 (pulls in all the things you need to build atari800 and run it when done)

#mkdir atari800 (place for atari800 source to live)

#cd atari800 (change into that directory)

#apt-get source atari800 (will pull the highest version of the Atari800 source available to the package system. Since we chucked in a Sid deb-src line....)

#cd atari800-2.0.3 (these source packages come as a source directory and several control files. you need to change into the source directory)

#dpkg-buildpackage -b (this will build the deb package and place it in the atari800 directory we made earlier. go have a cuppa or a beer)

Then copy the deb to a card or ship it over the network to the EEE and install.

I did that for awhile with various things then said screw it and went to Debian Lenny since they provide an install image that configures most of the EEE's little custom bits. Lenny isn't more than three months behind on the software I care about and I usually can't be fussed with the procedure I just detailed (plus Atari800 is a simple case with few dependencies. Backporting recent software can get hairier and I Just Don't Bother). I'd rather just install the damn thing and use it already...but I don't mind helping out now and again.

Carsten,

is it a out of the box machine for atari coding and gaming? which means for me, I want to use linux versions of my tools like MADS, atari800 etc without new compilation etc... simply like my "now XP" running Asus eee...

Hello Heaven,

I guess if you like to do development on Linux, you need to get familiar with Linux. The default mackages precompiled for Linux are mostly configured for the average gamer in mind (for example the debugger in Atrai800 is not compiled in). You need to learn how to downlad Sourcecode and compile the tools you need on your Linux box. There is no Linux that works like XP (and that is good). Linux/Unix has major advantages, esp. when used as a development system. You need to plan some additional time to get used to it, but it pays in the long run.

"Contrary to popular belief, Unix _is_ userfriendly.

It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with."

Carsten

Even i was able to learn basics of Linux (thanks cas and #atari!). I put myself under pressure a bit by deleting Windows and doing all my non-Atari computing stuff on Linux. (In the rare case i couldn't get something done in time on my Linux Desktop, i had access to my wife's PC running XP, though).

The Atari stuff, of course, i do on Ataris! ;-)

Edited by Beetle