IGNORED

Single Chip Atari 2600

Albert

http://www.mindspring.com/~2600onachip/Electronics engineer Carlos Lopez has revealed his plans to create an Atari 2600 on a single chip. This chip will include the Television Interface Adapter (TIA), 6532 Parallel Interface Adapter (PIA), and the 6507 core, all wrapped up in a single FPGA chip. One of the goals of this project is to allow the manufacture of portable Atari 2600 systems without having to salvage parts from existing 2600 boards (such as the TIA). Please visit Carlos' 2600-on-a-Chip page for more detailed information about the project.

from the site:

So far, the TIA and PIA synthesizable cores have been completed and are 100% functional. The TIA design took me approximately 150 hours and the PIA about 10.

As for the 6502 core, I have completed the architecture (ALU, registers, datapath) and I'm working on the microcode, the most time consuming part of the design.

that is very good news, its almost done!

As for the 6502 core, I have completed the architecture (ALU, registers, datapath) and I'm working on the microcode, the most time consuming part of the design.

I don't know if I'd go as far as "almost done", as the 6502 is the most complex piece of silicon in the 2600. It probably cost Motorola millions of dollars to develop back when it came out, and I bet it was done by more than one person. :) It's pretty damn cool that the tools exist today to allow someone to completely rework these chips from scratch and integrate them into one package. I really look forward to all sorts of cool projects once this is finished. I hope the final product isn't very expensive.

..Al

If you need help coding some more VHDL, just drop me a line.

Your project looks great !

What's the Xlinx part you've been using?

Great job,

OG.

Correct me if I am wrong, but...

Wasn't the TV Boy (or whatever variations exsist) exactly this? I think it has been done, albeit not easy to find now.

Might be worth looking into finding out how/what etc, has been recorded on it.

I have to say that is the most amazing test fixture I have ever seen. I get confused by anything more than a 10 row breadboard, this dude had about a million jumpers. Oh if only I was not dislesxisc?...

:)

Cassidy

BTW, Sign me up for a few when they are ready!

This means they could reissue the vcs.

You may say "But there is no market for that kind of thing"

Yeah, but what if they make it a special order thing.

Lets say some 30 year old still has there carts but not the machine.

He could go down to his local wal-mart or what ever and order one.

And they would probably be able to make them cheap. So it's not like it would be expensive for the company to make them.

All they need to do is a circit board with the chip along with the cart port,switches and joystick ports and a built in combat and It's all made.

What do you think?

The TV Boy is 100 games in one, and you don't need a separate VCS to play the games. I don't know enough about Stella hardware to remark whether this is the same thing as the 2600-in-a-Chip concept or not. The only way I've been able to play a lot of import games (Puzzy/Bit, for instance) has been on my TV Boy, so there must be some way of making PAL games work on an NTSC console/television, unless they were converted especially for the TV Boy.

CF

[ It probably cost Motorola millions of dollars to develop back when it came out, and I bet it was done by more than one person.  :)  

..Al

Just to nit-pick, the 6502 was actually designed by ex-Motorola engineers at a company called MOS technology. The original 6501 was too similar to the Motorola 6800 and they were sued. They made changes and produced the 6502.