IGNORED

Single Chip Atari 2600

Albert

Nope Chris, the TVBoy is not an exact implementation of a real VCS, I already made the same question to Carlos and he pointed me out to a post by Kevin Horton where he describes how the TVBoy chip isn't very compatible, he found out some bankswitching issues and he couldn't make it run Pitfall II either.

From what I understand Carlos wants to create an exact implementation of the VCS that would run 2600 games in the same way a real VCS would, so that puts his 2600-in-a-chip in a league of it's own.

Well, I'm going out on a limb here, but here it goes.

Please understand, Carlos has no idea if a complete system can ever be put into production, but that is his goal, and we're trying to help him.

I've spoken with Carlos by email. He has taken us up on the offer to develop the case for the 2600 on-a-chip - (or what I like to call the 2600 OAC - it's easier to type). Pending his approval of our sketches, we will begin developing a Rapid Prototype case for the OAC, and hopefully have an rp STL model sometime before Christmas... maybe sooner. I will be out of the country the last half October... but we'll try to get something up on the web (hopefully in Shockwave3D) for everyone to see as soon as our school work and jobs permit.

Carlos has also agreed to include our new homebrew 2600 game as a packaged cart along with the OAC system. The game will be loosely based on River Raid, and will be called "Eric Bergstrom's KC-135". Please refer to the following URL for more information:

Yahoo Groups - EB-KC135

Check out the "Files" link at that site to find out more.

Thanks,

Aaron :D

Hmmmmmmmmmm, think about a portable 2600 with a smart card reader to input games.........256MB could hold alot of bin's to take on the road - Game Boy Advance what?????????????  :D   :D   :D

You could fit the entire collection on an 8mb memory stick. Or even better, make it work with USB memory keys, that way you don't need any special hardware to transfer files to the stick. ;-)

Personally, I think this is a completely wild idea, and I'd definitely by one. The only thing i can think of that would be expensive would be the screen. Unless they can be sourced in bulk I'd imagine that it'd be expensive to buy them individually -- unless you have some good contacts in the industry. :-)

Outside of parts sourcing like that however, it'd be great to see a project like this finally take flight. If it worked with relatively inexpensive memory sticks/smart cards or USB memory keys, you could literally take your entire collection with you on the go. Something tells me an interface to plug in actual carts might be a little bulky. I know it was possible with the VCSp, but then that was a totally different design, and I think the whole point of this project would be to provide a low-power single-chip solution in order to reduce its size and cost.

Either way this is a very interesting project that merits close monitoring over the coming months to see where it goes. ;-)

(hopefully in Shockwave3D)

Oh please, don't! ;)

The game will be loosely based on River Raid, and will be called "Eric Bergstrom's KC-135".

How far did you get now? Are there any prototyes or (mockup) screenshots we can see?

I think, it's a good idea to use the AtariAge community for input and help. And if you have programming questions, you should join the Stella Mailing List. :idea:

True... the TIA chip is a power hungry chip and even though the late 2600 models had single chip, it didn't improve the power issue. To get a single chip 2600 that isn't power hungry, you'd have to completely redesign the TIA part from ground up. The other 2 chips (CPU and RIOT) are already available in many flavors so they aren't the issue.