IGNORED

Carina BBS

bf2k+

Ahhh, Carina BBS.. I ran both Carina and Carina II for quite some time, and even co-authored a game that was published by CSS.. Those were fun times! I wrote some sort of password file utility back then (and believe it was included with Carina II) but don't recall what it did. How is the file getting corrupted? Are you running on real hardware or emulation? Where is the password file being written to?

..Al

Ahhh, Carina BBS.. I ran both Carina and Carina II for quite some time, and even co-authored a game that was published by CSS.. Those were fun times! I wrote some sort of password file utility back then (and believe it was included with Carina II) but don't recall what it did. How is the file getting corrupted? Are you running on real hardware or emulation? Where is the password file being written to?

..Al

Hey Albert! I wasted many many hours on Robowar II!!! ;)

..Al

I am running on both a800win 2.5c and a800winplus 4.0 and having the same problem with both.

The PASSWORD.FLE resides in D1:>SYSFLE>. D1: is an ATR.

I am able to login to each of the two existing user accounts (SYSOP & The shadow) one time only for each acct. On the second login, I get a "Password Wrong" error, but my own examination of this would seem to indicate that the password is not wrong - that part of the password file is not corrupt - only a few bytes in the file are changing (even disappearing). And when I stop the code and check the strings, they are identical as far as I can tell. That is about as far as I have gotten in my troubleshooting efforts.

I have used ExamDiff Pro to compare the two FLE's (before and after corruption) and can see the differences. Only a few bytes have changed and they are not clustered together but rather spread apart in each record. I can PM you the "evidence" if you'd like to see it.

Before I do any more "code fumbling" I am going to try the setup on a real 8-bit machine and see what happens. Maybe it is the emulator.

Before I do any more "code fumbling" I am going to try the setup on a real 8-bit machine and see what happens. Maybe it is the emulator.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend much time on this issue until you try running it on real hardware. Definitely sounds like an emulator issue..

..Al

The problem with Carina is that because it was written in BASIC, the serial driver was shite. It wouldn't support high speed modems. It topped out at, I think, 2400 baud before losing characters. And this was with a Black Box. So I wasn't going to tolerate that as soon as I could afford a 14.4 modem.

I ran Carina for a while. The guy who was maintaining it (The Shadow) was a real eccentric. I spent way too much time chatting with him on the phone. He kept promising a Carina 3 with all sorts of bells and whistles including high speed serial driver via ML subroutines and it never arrived. He did manage to work with me to write a networking module that utilized PC Pursuit. PC Pursuit was some kind of packet-switched bridge that let you dial in locally and then dial out again from a remote location in order to avoid long distance fees. It added latency, otherwise it worked pretty well. I used that a lot to feed my BBS addiction in the waning days of the BBS right before ISPs started up.

From a usability standpoint I preferred Carina to BBS Express.

Another one I liked was Forum XE, I think it was called, that ran under Basic XE. And Oasis.

All the other BBSs kind of died in favor of Express primarily due to Express' better high speed modem support.

Edited by mos6507

Yeah, I wouldn't spend much time on this issue until you try running it on real hardware. Definitely sounds like an emulator issue..

..Al

Well my setup worked fine on a real machine, so it looks like an EMU issue. Turning off fast SIO had no effect.

EDIT: The problem turned out to be the year reported as 108 by the emulator. When I tested in on a 130xe, I didn't set the date so it was 1985 or something. Adding a line of code solved it.

Now to see what else is wrong....

Edited by bf2k+

• 3 weeks later...
I love Carina and how you can have ATASCII in the messages. I wish someone would put up a Carina BBS. That would be different.

Hmmm....

Try here: bfbbs.no-ip.com:8888

Remember port 8888

I think I killed it...got the Press [space] bar message and dropped connection, now will not reconnect...

EDIT: aaah, until it [presumably] resets the connection and becomes available again.

using an ansi terminal emulator, I can't get past that first prompt.

Edited by cephallus

I love Carina and how you can have ATASCII in the messages. I wish someone would put up a Carina BBS. That would be different.

Hmmm....

Try here: bfbbs.no-ip.com:8888

Remember port 8888

I think I killed it...got the Press [space] bar message and dropped connection, now will not reconnect...

EDIT: aaah, until it [presumably] resets the connection and becomes available again.

using an ansi terminal emulator, I can't get past that first prompt.

You didn't hurt it :cool: ... it takes few minutes to recycle since there is no carrier in the ethernet connection.

Get ATS from atarimax if you're running windows (or at_telnet from cybernoids site - also windows).

Edited by bf2k+