IGNORED

If computers were fruit....

13matt

I have come to the conlusion that there are many embittered members of this forum for whom the world of home computers will always be a case of one upmanship. Why can't people see that this is an argument that will run and run. I mean there are still people at it, just that its moved onto higher ground.

I have the opinion that no machine is stricly "better" than another, for they all hold thier unique charms. I have owned so many, and each has a special place in my heart. But the other day i thought of an analogy....

If computers were fruit, what would they be?

If you bear with me a bit here, it has been an awful long nite with very little sleep lol :P

I'd say, the A8 is an ORANGE, fairly plain to look at, but sweet and full of complicated textures

The C64 is an APPLE, crisper and smoother to look at, but a little samey on the inside

The Spectrum is an UGLI, ok the rind is wrinked and pitted, but oh that sweet juice inside!

The Cpc from Amstrad is a TOMATO, gorgeous to look at, though not sweet, still satisfying.

Now what i'm really saying is this, some ppl dont like oranges, some dont like apples, why can't ppl accept that? Ones not better than the other, they are just different.

For me, the case is i love them all, just sometimes i don't want an apple. Don't force it on me!

Ooh i'm hungry now, gonna eats some sweet carrots. Now what if computers were vegetables lol

:P

I'd say, the A8 is an ORANGE, fairly plain to look at, but sweet and full of complicated textures

The C64 is an APPLE, crisper and smoother to look at, but a little samey on the inside

The Spectrum is an UGLI, ok the rind is wrinked and pitted, but oh that sweet juice inside!

The Cpc from Amstrad is a TOMATO, gorgeous to look at, though not sweet, still satisfying.

I thought an APPLE was an APPLE? :cool:

I think you need to be more specific about the A8 since there's different ones, while the 800 may be a bit plain to look at, and maybe even the XE, I certainly wouldn't say the 600XL or 800XL's are plain to look at, they're really nice, sleak and stylish IMO.

I'd say the 800XL is a Strawberry, real nice to look at, and really nice inside.

Edited by Ross PK

I have come to the conlusion that there are many embittered members of this forum for whom the world of home computers will always be a case of one upmanship. Why can't people see that this is an argument that will run and run. I mean there are still people at it, just that its moved onto higher ground.

I think besides being excessively weird, this thread is likely to incite the exact sort of bickering you're talking about.

An Apple (of the vintage computing age we're discussing) isn't an apple because it's Iceberg Lettuce. Nevermind the distinction between fruit and vegetable, that's not what I'm driving at. The point is that they were everywhere, people used them and talked about them in a normal day. However they're plain and boring to look at on the outside. They're not nearly as full of nutrition (read 'coolness') on the inside as some of the lesser known lettuces like Romaine or Green. Boring and lame, but still manges to be everywhere.

><>RedBeard

/* How's that for 'the exact sort of bickering' you were talking about? Yes, though I use macintoshes Monday through Friday, I still harbour a sour feeling about the Apple company and especially it's 8 bit computers. :-) Probably because they're still around and Atari isn't. Sour grapes or something... */

/* EDIT: I just realized that I was talking about 'apple' and used the word 'sour'. I made a joke and didn't realize it. That's Berry Punny! */

Edited by RedBeard

Getting back to the original idea here, and trying honestly not to bicker now...

I still have a special place in my heart for the TI99/4A computer. I can't figure out what kind of vegetable it would be, though. This might be a little too China and not enough Texas but: How about kumquat? Sounds funny.

><>RedBeard

/* Does "Jell-O brand Pudding Pops" count as a vegetable? (Little Bill Cosby / TI joke...) */

Well, *IF* the Apple were in fact an Apple... then the IIgs would be a Golden Delicious Apple! No... seriously... have you seen the yellowing on some of the old school machines? LOL

The Dick Smith VZ-200 would have to be a Kiwifruit. It was sold in Australia, manufactured in China (Hong Kong?), and it's an odd looking little thing. The outside coloring is kinda similar (ok, that's a stretch) and it's screen comes up green like the inside of a Kiwi.

:D

<edit>

BTW, the China link is because the Kiwi supposedly originated in China according to a web page I looked at.

Edited by JamesD

Speaking of Apple clones, I noticed that there is a project under way where you buy Intel Duo hardware with, methinks, Linux OS. Then you buy Apple's OS X and install it. So you get a functional Macintosh clone without paying for the hardware, basically.

So (LET On_Topic=1), it's not fruit, but I guess that would make such a computer an Apple Pie; crusty and unsure on the outside, Apple - Based GUI-ness on the inside.

><>RedBeard

/* Okay so STs and Macs aren't 8 bit, but any ideas re: the proper fruit type of a stock 520 ST? */

Speaking of Apple clones, I noticed that there is a project under way where you buy Intel Duo hardware with, methinks, Linux OS. Then you buy Apple's OS X and install it. So you get a functional Macintosh clone without paying for the hardware, basically.

><>RedBeard

That's already available and widely used with the "unofficial" OSX86 modification. OSX Leopard can be installed on your PC relatively easily. Ideally your PC CPU should feature SS3 such as the Core2 Duo or AMD X2. Edited by Tezz

I think you need to be more specific about the A8 since there's different ones, while the 800 may be a bit plain to look at, and maybe even the XE, I certainly wouldn't say the 600XL or 800XL's are plain to look at, they're really nice, sleak and stylish IMO.

I'd say the 800XL is a Strawberry, real nice to look at, and really nice inside.

To look at i was considering the machines AV output in terms of how pretty it is. There's little denying the art of the A8 machines, but i'm sure we'd all have liked a slightly tweaked graphics capability, or a release of the XEM.

Computers weren't fruit and they weren't vegitables This is just another my favorite machine is cool and your favorite machine sucks thread.

Duh! you obv didn't read the opener. I like ALL these classic machines, and I was TRYING to get that point across. Not everyone likes tomatoes, but i do! And looking at the response so far i am pleased that everyone seems to be taking this in the good humour it was intended.

If you think its dumb, fine. Go post on something else.

:?

I think besides being excessively weird, this thread is likely to incite the exact sort of bickering you're talking about.

What's wrong with weird?

I like weird

:P

Orange? Pshaw. The Atari is actually a coconut. It's tough, indestructable, full of all kinds of goodness, and it comes with the ability to SMASH THOSE MUSHY COMMODORES INTO QUIVERING PILES OF APPLESAUCE in less then ten seconds. It also makes an excellent horse substitute, and is easily carried by african swallows. :D

This is an objective observation, of course, and in no way intended to offend all of those metrosexual commodore nannies.

:D

Computers weren't fruit and they weren't vegitables This is just another my favorite machine is cool and your favorite machine sucks thread.

Duh! you obv didn't read the opener. I like ALL these classic machines, and I was TRYING to get that point across. Not everyone likes tomatoes, but i do! And looking at the response so far i am pleased that everyone seems to be taking this in the good humour it was intended.

If you think its dumb, fine. Go post on something else.

:?

Oh please... look at some of the responses. Every time someone starts a thread comparing 8 bits the mine is better and yours sucks stuff starts almost immediately.

One thing is for sure, an Apple is an Apple and has been since the 70s. They even own the trademark so I think it's safe to say they have dibs on that fruit.