IGNORED

Any difference on ACTION! module?

Sikor

Hmm, me, TDC and Miker find interesting thing: I have cartridges (release in Poland years ago) with ACTON! module. Original OSS 1983 release had statement on the bottom of screen: "ACTION! ©1983 ACS". I have two other version, where are other statement: "ACTION! ©1986" and "ACTION! ©1987". Both are cartridge version with propertymap for that versions. So, I have a question: anybody hear about this version? There are any differencies with OSS 1983 version?

To add to the confusion, I have somewhere an Action that runs from floppy. I think it's a hack though, and was never released in that format.

Me too... Boot floppy actually... It doesn't have the intro screen like the file version...

To add to the confusion, I have somewhere an Action that runs from floppy. I think it's a hack though, and was never released in that format.

I also remember having a diskbased version back in the 80's. I recall when starting it up the message 'Ruediger decipher it' was shown for a few seconds. I never got around to actually using it, so can't tell if this version really was fully functional.

re-atari

Hmm, me, TDC and Miker find interesting thing: I have cartridges (release in Poland years ago) with ACTON! module. Original OSS 1983 release had statement on the bottom of screen: "ACTION! ©1983 ACS". I have two other version, where are other statement: "ACTION! ©1986" and "ACTION! ©1987". Both are cartridge version with propertymap for that versions. So, I have a question: anybody hear about this version? There are any differencies with OSS 1983 version?

I personally know of 2 cart versions. A 2 eprom and 1 eprom. Both have different switching and I think the lower 4K of the 2 eprom version could be switched off and the ram under it accessed.

As for those versions, Maybe it has something to do with when OSS bought the carts somewhere near 1986?

James

I personally know of 2 cart versions. A 2 eprom and 1 eprom. Both have different switching and I think the lower 4K of the 2 eprom version could be switched off and the ram under it accessed.

As for those versions, Maybe it has something to do with when OSS bought the carts somewhere near 1986?

James

OSS, etc. released at least three versions of Action!. AFAIK, the first widely released version was 3.4. The last version was 3.6. I believe that most orange (two eprom) carts were 3.5. I believe that nearly all black carts were 3.6. (BTW, if someone has a different version, chime in.)

AFAIK, all the releases were just to kill bugs -- I don't think they added any new features. The Action! bug sheets were pretty extensive. I have seen that © statement typically will include the dates of all versions; e.g. © 1983, 1984, 1987. Sometimes written as © 1983-1987. When other folks released new manufacturing runs of the cartridge, they could have changed the © statement to include their ownership. (ACS, OSS, ICD, FTE). I'm not familiar with the term "propertymap," but this presumably is what you are referring to. (?)

OSS also released two different toolkits. The first was called the "Action! Programmers Aid Disk;" the second was released as the "Action Toolkit." They are substantially the same. I'm not sure about different released versions of the OSS runtime.

-Larry

James

OSS, etc. released at least three versions of Action!. AFAIK, the first widely released version was 3.4. The last version was 3.6. I believe that most orange (two eprom) carts were 3.5. I believe that nearly all black carts were 3.6. (BTW, if someone has a different version, chime in.)

AFAIK, all the releases were just to kill bugs -- I don't think they added any new features. The Action! bug sheets were pretty extensive. I have seen that © statement typically will include the dates of all versions; e.g. © 1983, 1984, 1987. Sometimes written as © 1983-1987. When other folks released new manufacturing runs of the cartridge, they could have changed the © statement to include their ownership. (ACS, OSS, ICD, FTE). I'm not familiar with the term "propertymap," but this presumably is what you are referring to. (?)

OSS also released two different toolkits. The first was called the "Action! Programmers Aid Disk;" the second was released as the "Action Toolkit." They are substantially the same. I'm not sure about different released versions of the OSS runtime.

-Larry

I own the final update, 3.6, in an orange cart.

I orginally purchased 3.1 (I think) and updated twice. Unfortunately I was required to trade in my cartridge each time. (Update cost was $20 per, IIRC.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what problems were fixed with each revision.

update

I found an older version of my manual in which I wrote the note "Ver. 3.1". I also found an invoice for an Action! upgrade. The version number is not stated but the invoice is dated March 23, 1984.

My other copy of the manual also has a hand written note, "Ver. 3.6". Perhaps I upgraded only once.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

So, version from 1987 year look as the final version, I think.
Version 3.6 from 1984 should be the final update for content.

It's been a while. From the Action! monitor if you type ? $B000 you should get the version number in hex (i.e. 0x36 for version 36).

I'm guessing that ICD and/or FTE made the switch to a single ROM and changed the banking scheme and nothing more.

- Steve Sheppard

It's been a while. From the Action! monitor if you type ? $B000 you should get the version number in hex (i.e. 0x36 for version 36).

I'm guessing that ICD and/or FTE made the switch to a single ROM and changed the banking scheme and nothing more.

- Steve Sheppard

Hi Steve-

You beat me to it! I never can remember that "Peek" -- I should put a note in the front of my manual. I also found the following review by Brian Moriarity from Analog that is quite comprehensive. (I always liked the articles by Brian M.) I do love Action! -- just wish its math handling was better.

http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an16/action.htm

You must have been an early purchaser. I was fairly early, and my orange cart is 3.5 -- they probably zipped right through those releases while trying to eradicate bugs. Did your original cart have gold contacts? The early releases had silver/solder contacts, so one of their pitches for upgrading was to get the gold contacts as they replaced the pcb's. My original BXL 1.01 cart had the silver/solder contacts, so I did the upgrade on it to 1.02/gold.

-Larry

- Steve Sheppard

Hi Steve-

You beat me to it! I never can remember that "Peek" -- I should put a note in the front of my manual. I also found the following review by Brian Moriarity from Analog that is quite comprehensive. (I always liked the articles by Brian M.) I do love Action! -- just wish its math handling was better.

http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an16/action.htm

You must have been an early purchaser. I was fairly early, and my orange cart is 3.5 -- they probably zipped right through those releases while trying to eradicate bugs. Did your original cart have gold contacts? The early releases had silver/solder contacts, so one of their pitches for upgrading was to get the gold contacts as they replaced the pcb's. My original BXL 1.01 cart had the silver/solder contacts, so I did the upgrade on it to 1.02/gold.

-Larry

Yup. Very early. I want to say I purchased Action directly from OSS but I have no record of that transaction.

Tin contacts, by the way. They need to be cleaned about once every 10 extractions of the cartridge.

- Steve Sheppard

The single eprom version Black cart with yellow label came from OSS.

I have 4 of those, 1 of each language, tho my Mac65 has been modded to have all 4 languages in the one cart.

They made the improvement/update to save costs I would guess.

James

- Steve Sheppard

In my carts from 1986&1987 are that same value: 45056,$B000 = 6, $0136 54 310 - so, that is versions 36. Thanx for peek ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

O.K. There http://atarionline.pl/forum/?PostBackAction=Download&AttachmentID=450 is an ilr copy of ACTION! module made on old (pirates) time in Poland. Can anybody compare this version with existing dumps and with original version of ACTION!? It is probably version 3.6, cart dump on www websites was version 0.2, so, can anyone try it and compare with original version 3.6 - it is it? Or it is only hack in module with cart revision?

anybody compare this version with existing dumps and with original version of ACTION!? It is probably version 3.6, cart dump on www websites was version 0.2, so, can anyone try it and compare with original version 3.6 - it is it? Or it is only hack in module with cart revision?

This seem to be the same as this file ACTION! (1983)(ACS) with the date changed to 1986 and ACS copywrite over written with spaces. And a CART header added. icon_sad.gif

ACTION! (1983)(ACS).BIN