IGNORED

Falcon games that you wish were ported to the Jag.

sd32

I know that porting Falcon 030 games to the Jag isnt the easiest thing to do, but i thought it would be an interesting topic.

I was wondering if the Jag could handle a port of this game:

I guess the biggest issue would as usual be RAM, still, it looks like an interesting engine with outdoor locations. Its like a cross between Duke Nukem 3D and Doom.

Shoot, I just wish the version of Zero 5 was the ST version rather than the one we got.

I just saw a video of the ST version, you are right, havent played it myself, but it looks like a more enjoyable game. Still, i think the Zero 5 we got is one of the better Jag titles, top 20 in my opinion.

I know that porting Falcon 030 games to the Jag isnt the easiest thing to do, but i thought it would be an interesting topic.

I was wondering if the Jag could handle a port of this game:

I guess the biggest issue would as usual be RAM, still, it looks like an interesting engine with outdoor locations. Its like a cross between Duke Nukem 3D and Doom.

Um, we already have Doom like games on the Jag as good if not better than this.

AvP for instance.

Doom mod? boring! Gimme new baddies at least!

Are you referring to Running (the game on my video)? Then it's no doom mod, just in the preview some doom monsters were used. You can see the platin shareware edition on another vid.

On games that could be ported from the falcon to the jaguar, a direct and easy port would be virtually impossible. Falcon games are written for the 030 which has quite a few differences to the 68K used in the jaguar, most are made for 4MB's of RAM and use the DSP which is quite different to the jaguar one. Basically you'd need to rewrite the game though having the source would certainly help.

On a related note I've uploaded another vid of a falcon game today and some more are coming as well. Check my sig for more details.

I would have done most anything for a Falcon030 back in the day.

I love the Jaguar because in a lot of ways, it was similar to what the

Falcon030 was. A motorola wth a DSP and Blitter. The Jag has the GPU

and OPL 'advantage' but if you dont use these all properly you'll see

plenty of disadvantage.

If Jaguar had the Same level of Falcon tools, it would have rocked.

The only thing missing from the Jaguar kit was a good C compiler

for the Risc's...that and the workaround to code in main.

I also think that the Jaguar could have done a lot of those first next

gen system games.

Edited by Gorf

Doom mod? boring! Gimme new baddies at least!

Are you referring to Running (the game on my video)? Then it's no doom mod, just in the preview some doom monsters were used. You can see the platin shareware edition on another vid.

Sorry it was 5am and I was tired as hell.

Lets start again....

OH NO not another Doom type of game! I have had it up to the brim with em... At least make them funny or a total crazy Gun-Ho shooter like S Sam or Smash TV. Its would be nice to see a Tron version too, just cuz it seems like it would run faster without all the textures. It is nice to see the outside world once in a while too....good job! Throw in some flight in there and you'll have something real cool!

• 5 weeks later...

An enhanced version of Starball (a shareware flipper runable from ST to Falcon with specific for better machine : DMA, syncscrol, use of extra memory)

MoonSpeeder (commercial) and his follow-up MoonGames (freeware) : 2 FZero like, specifics to Falcon

H2O : a lemmings like, really original, released as freeware far after its completion on Falcon

Impulse : a very nice breakout-like by Duranik (port in progress by Mathias Domin IIRC)

An enhanced version of Starball (a shareware flipper runable from ST to Falcon with specific for better machine : DMA, syncscrol, use of extra memory)

MoonSpeeder (commercial) and his follow-up MoonGames (freeware) : 2 FZero like, specifics to Falcon

H2O : a lemmings like, really original, released as freeware far after its completion on Falcon

Impulse : a very nice breakout-like by Duranik (port in progress by Mathias Domin IIRC)

Starball was a fun game, but only had one board and would feel kinda lost on the Jag, considering it already has Pinball Fantasies and Ruiner Pinball. I think Obsession would be a better candidate for a port.

I would've loved to have had Lemmings on the Jag. It's a shame it was never ported over.

Is Matthias really porting Impulse to the Jag? That would rock, especially if it had rotary support...

Is Matthias really porting Impulse to the Jag? That would rock, especially if it had rotary support...

Yes, Matthias ported Impulse to the Jaguar, he did an awesome job with the conversion, the game supports a lot

of controllers, rotary, mouse, jagpad, in different combinations, he even ported the Level Editor (Levels can be

saved on the Memory Track).

Unfortunately Matthias seems to have some motivation problems since a couple of months, i think because

of the disappointing sales of his DF#1 which didn´t get a lot of attention at all.

Perhaps it helps if he gets a couple of mails to show some support.

Yes, Matthias ported Impulse to the Jaguar, he did an awesome job with the conversion, the game supports a lot

of controllers, rotary, mouse, jagpad, in different combinations, he even ported the Level Editor (Levels can be

Unfortunately Matthias seems to have some motivation problems since a couple of months, i think because

of the disappointing sales of his DF#1 which didn´t get a lot of attention at all.

DF#1 looked like a fine product, I just really looked forward to Clicks. :D

Wow, maybe I'll send him a msg then.

He's always done great work, as far as I'm concerned. I bought DF#1, too. It's a professional job by a professional guy :)