IGNORED

PAL Impossible Mission map

Mitch

Since I'm pretty lousy at Impossible Mission and I noticed that the first map after you turn on the game is always the same. I decided to see if I could map it out. For those of you that have a copy of the PAL Impossible Mission can you check to see if it is accurate? You can find the map here. Thanks.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

As a footnote, I've got a theory that the initial configuration of Impossible Mission is based on a the state of a RAM location on the cartridge itself (inside the 8K). I've noticed that my powerup screens tend to stay the same on different 7800s for the same copy of the game, but differ when I swap out the RAM for a different one, or if I use a different cartridge with a different powerup map. Can anyone else with multiple 7800s and multiple copies of Impossible Mission verify?

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

Yeah, I have created a working NTSC version. I believe someone else (Jindroush or Jahfish perhaps?) has created one that works as well. Problem is, I need to negociate (negotiate? I never spell that right...)releasing the fix with the current owner of the copyright. So, someone needs to get me motivated to do that. I would probably only charge cost of development, plus a coupla bucks for effort, so I hope it would be pretty cheap. Would people be interested in actually buying something like this? I know that 7800 fans are a limited target group.

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

Yeah, I have created a working NTSC version.  I believe someone else (Jindroush or Jahfish perhaps?) has created one that works as well.  Problem is, I need to negociate (negotiate?  I never spell that right...)releasing the fix with the current owner of the copyright.  So, someone needs to get me motivated to do that.  I would probably only charge cost of development, plus a coupla bucks for effort, so I hope it would be pretty cheap.  Would people be interested in actually buying something like this?  I know that 7800 fans are a limited target group.

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

I'd buy one! Though I'm not sure what there is to negotiate. It seems

like with all the hacks of copyrighted code sold at Hozer Games there

is not much enforcment. I don't know if the guy who made the Klax

game or the NTCS version of Sentinel got legal releases for the

games either. Getting permission of the programmer might be

easier since Atari and Epyx are both long gone and exist only as

boxes of old documents in a conglomerate's warehouse.

Perhaps a way around any legal issues for you would be to offer a

service of selling a patched game for legal owners of the game.

People send you their cart and you swap the chips.

I'm guessing you could sell 50 or so copies if you could do it for

around $25. Since IM is one of the top non-arcade games on the

system I bet there would be considerable interest among collectors.

You need only see the prices that NTCS rares get compared to the

cheaper PAL versions.

John

I have the NTSC copy :sad:  Its not worth playing because of the bug in it, have any one got way fix that bug? :ponder:

...workin' on it. I have a feeling Jindroush or John Harvey will beat me to it. Maybe we can all work together to get this thing out. I'll have to talk to Lance about it and see what he is doing.

Good luck to everybody who is working on the IM project... I am a die-hard Impossible Mission fan.

Best,