IGNORED

Geometry Wars 2 this Weds!

moycon

July 30: “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” – The latest version of the wildly popular retro shooter offers screen-melting intensity and insane new features, including six action-packed gameplay modes, new enemies, scoring strategies and a diverse list of exciting Achievements. “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available at 800 Microsoft Points.

Anyone picking this one up?

I pretty much sucked at the first one, but it was definately one of those got to play one more time type of games. I'll be getting it.

Really, really looking forward to this. I was one of those sad people who bought both the Wii and DS version of Galaxies and hell, I even bought the 360 version of Retro Evolved too, in spite of it being included with both the Nintendo versions. I probably won't even bother with the demo and just buy it blind - they better not have screwed it up!

July 30: “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” – The latest version of the wildly popular retro shooter offers screen-melting intensity and insane new features, including six action-packed gameplay modes, new enemies, scoring strategies and a diverse list of exciting Achievements. “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available at 800 Microsoft Points.

Anyone picking this one up?

I pretty much sucked at the first one, but it was definately one of those got to play one more time type of games. I'll be getting it.

Screen-melting = so many special effects and big explosions you can't see what the hell you are doing.

I could score a lot higher on the current game if I could actually see something besides explosions.

Wow. HD arcade gaming at it's finest.

Every new installment of this game on the xbox/360 really set new standards graphically. The new version is no exception. Fantastic graphics, the progress compared

to GW:RE is enormous. They really pull out a lot of the 360's capabilities. You can also tell they really developed this with the higher resolutions in mind.

You can tell when you play GW:RE @ 1080P the graphics aren't designed for this resolution, it's just the play-field which gets bigger. GW2 really looks amazing at 1080P, it takes

full advantage. I love the use of colors and the high res vector style graphics with a 3d twist.

As for the gameplay.. I only played the trail so far. Even more than with it's predecessor, you really want a big screen as there's soooo much going on on the screen.. You need really need to get into the empty spaces.. I noticed my scores really started to improve when I started to play on a 32" instead of a 19" monitor. It's possible, but just too crowded imo.

I love the fact Bizarre never did any real concessions to the difficulty.. hardcore to the bone!

4,4M so far...

edit:

Played the full game and all I can say.. The best of the series ! Each of the six modes are really well thought out, and require a really good strategy(and zen like concentration). I absolutely love the king and pacifism mode. There is also an Evolved mode, which gives you GW:RE with the new twists. In King mode you kan only shoot in 'zones', as soon as you leave them (they disappear after some time) you collect the tokens (as seen in GW;Galaxies, they determine the multiplier level) and hurry your ass to the next zone, as enemies can't attack you there. In pacifism mode, you can't shoot, but you have to herd enemies before you blow the up using the exploding gates. I find myself constantly trying to herd as many enemies as possible to blow them all up together. (Which judging from my progress appearantly isn't the right strategy). The developers prove to be creative enough to come up with new twists on the GW theme without a feel of milking the idea. Each mode in itself has a very addictive twist to it. The last two modes are just pure mayhem, with the Waves level not really new for those who played GW:Galaxies. The exploding gates offer an new escape though. The pace of the last level, with twenty sequential levels to complete, each within 30 secs. with only 3 lifes and bombs, is very high, with a pumping beat, changing with every level. The sheer number of enemies on screen is amazing in itself...

Really impressive gameplay (if you like GW).

Edited by dgo

to GW:RR is enormous. They really pull out a lot of the 360's capabilities. You can also tell they really developed this with the higher resolutions in mind.

You can tell when you play GW:RR @ 1080P the graphics aren't designed for this resolution, it's just the play-field which gets bigger. GW2 really looks amazing at 1080P, it takes

I dunno man. I like playing it on a cheap $60 13" tv. :P I can see more of the playfield without having to move my eyes :lol:

How come your calling Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved as GW:RR? Or is that the abbreviation of the Wii and DS game?

I'd be curious of picking up the Wii version is worthwhile, or if this includes all the content of that game like some people thought it would. Can anyone confirm it?

I dunno man. I like playing it on a cheap $60 13" tv. :P I can see more of the playfield without having to move my eyes :lol:

You're right, that is in fact an advantage... The downside is you need a hign res to see as much of the playfield as possible.. but then this means the screen really seems extra crowded and it's hard to find that needed space...

I suspect the new version seems even more crowded on the smaller screen?

Good eyetraining though ;)

How come your calling Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved as GW:RR? Or is that the abbreviation of the Wii and DS game?

I'd be curious of picking up the Wii version is worthwhile, or if this includes all the content of that game like some people thought it would. Can anyone confirm it?

euh... good question I've got no idea :D

I've got the Wii version as well.. Although it incorporates some new ideas as well, initially it's a lot of fun to play. But when you unlocked all the galaxies, I personally somehow missed the addiction factor I have with this new installment.

The control scheme is different as well.. You can use the Wii remote / nunchuk but there is also an option to use the classic controller if I remember correctly.

Graphically it's not as impressive as GW:RE, as of course, the Wii is limited in that dept.

I'd say if you can get it cheap, it's still nice to pick up, but although it's got more content, it's not as good as GW:RE2

You're right, that is in fact an advantage... The downside is you need a hign res to see as much of the playfield as possible.. but then this means the screen really seems extra crowded and it's hard to find that needed space...

I suspect the new version seems even more crowded on the smaller screen?

Good eyetraining though ;)

Not really.. it seems exactly the same.. just not as nice obviously. :) Of course when I feel like it I can lug out the 360 from the office and play it one of the hi-defs. Last night I tried it on a 50", as well as on using the VGA cable on a monitor. It definitely looks really friggin awesome in hi def. I was a little shocked at how nice it was to be honest.

However, I dont think it gave me any technical advantage.. I can see shapes fine enough on the tiny screen. And since the tiny screen is convenientl placed on my desk here in my office.. it remains the preferred way to play :lol:

I bought it and played it and agree with dgo.

Good stuff.

This game is really fun.

For a brief moment I was the top of the my friends leaderboard!!

(I was the only person on my friends list that had it) :(

Usually I'm on top of all the XBLA releases and have most of the good ones........but I've come to a small break in the road called 'COD4 Multiplayer'. :D

Otherwise, I'd have Double D Dodgeball, 1942, and Geometry Wars 2 by now.

And I know I'm still the top of the friends leaderboard on one of my games: New Rally-X :cool:

I don't think anyone else has it but me................I've always loved that game and it's C64 rip-off, Radar Rat Race.

And I know I'm still the top of the friends leaderboard on one of my games: New Rally-X :cool:

I don't think anyone else has it but me................I've always loved that game and it's C64 rip-off, Radar Rat Race.

I bow down to you New Rally-X score!! You'll never be beat!

but I've come to a small break in the road called 'COD4 Multiplayer'. :D

Aha so you're DixieWhiskey81 .. I was wondering who I was playing with the other week when you invited me to multiplayer :lol: Good game man.

I love COD4 as you can probably tell since I'm always playing it :P But the new Geometry Wars is super sweet lemme tell ya :D

Nowadays......most of the people playing ARE just little kids.

Us old guys are just a little niche in the market now.

I know I'm playing multiplayer when all I hear is "You're a fag!!", "Shut the fuck up.", or "I bet you like to suck cock."

That's me and my friends right there. But it's just trash talking each other.