IGNORED

Geometry Wars 2 this Weds!

moycon

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Geometry Wars 2 is like 10 times more bad-ass than it's predecessor. Somehow, it found a way to throw even more colors and warped effects into it.....making it all the more trippy and seizure-inducing.

It also has 6 different games so you're not just restricted to the plain-old shooter mode. I personally like the 'King' mode best as of right now. Tough as hell, though.

Geometry Wars 2 gets a 9/10 from me. I would give it a 10/10 if I was a little bit better at it but I just get my ass beat. I can't concentrate on everything moving around so I die quite fast.

Hmmmm...

I tried the demo. And tried it some more. And then tried it some more. I really wanted to like the game. I wanted to be wowed, or at least slightly impressed as in the case of Geometry Wars Galaxies.

Enemies were easier to see. There was much less of the pixel soup which happens in Geometry Wars 1. The difficulty curved nicely and more smoothly than the spikes and lulls in GW1. The Geom mechanic added greed to the equation. The demo promised lots of additional game modes. Everyone (including someone at work) was saying the game was great.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to care. The game was missing something I couldn't lay my finger on. It lacked something intangible which the original has in abundance and even the Wii version has a small bit of. By every objective measure, it should be superior to the original. I should be chomping at the bit to pay my points to play the full version.

But that's not the case. I've deleted the trial version and gone back to playing GW1. GW2 seemed an average experience at best. Maybe GW1 has raised the bar too high. Maybe the recent plethora of omni-shooters inherently makes GW2 less special. I don't know what the cause is, but I was less than impressed, not because I'm a fan of the original, but because the new installment just didn't strike me as impressive.

Hmmmm...

I tried the demo. And tried it some more. And then tried it some more. I really wanted to like the game. I wanted to be wowed, or at least slightly impressed as in the case of Geometry Wars Galaxies.

Enemies were easier to see. There was much less of the pixel soup which happens in Geometry Wars 1. The difficulty curved nicely and more smoothly than the spikes and lulls in GW1. The Geom mechanic added greed to the equation. The demo promised lots of additional game modes. Everyone (including someone at work) was saying the game was great.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to care. The game was missing something I couldn't lay my finger on. It lacked something intangible which the original has in abundance and even the Wii version has a small bit of. By every objective measure, it should be superior to the original. I should be chomping at the bit to pay my points to play the full version.

But that's not the case. I've deleted the trial version and gone back to playing GW1. GW2 seemed an average experience at best. Maybe GW1 has raised the bar too high. Maybe the recent plethora of omni-shooters inherently makes GW2 less special. I don't know what the cause is, but I was less than impressed, not because I'm a fan of the original, but because the new installment just didn't strike me as impressive.

You're way off man.. did you try out the different modes? That's what makes this game.. Pacifism is pure and utter crack.

I generally don't get too excited over games, but this one is totally worth it. :) Although I think they should've called it GW3 :ponder:

You're way off man.. did you try out the different modes? That's what makes this game.. Pacifism is pure and utter crack.

No. I can't say I did. All I had to go on was the demo, which was kinda unimpressive in it's own right.

But my negativity wasn't because of that. I kept thinking to myself during the timed games, "If this was original Geometry Wars with a timer and maybe some Geoms, it would be a lot more fun." I liked the idea of the timed mode. It was just something about the gameplay itself which turned me off. Because of that, I figured any other game modes would fail to inspire me as well. Because the mode wasn't the problem. It was something about the feel of the game itself.

Obviously the demo inspired everyone else to lay down the points, but it didn't do it for me.

No. I can't say I did. All I had to go on was the demo, which was kinda unimpressive in it's own right.

But my negativity wasn't because of that. I kept thinking to myself during the timed games, "If this was original Geometry Wars with a timer and maybe some Geoms, it would be a lot more fun." I liked the idea of the timed mode. It was just something about the gameplay itself which turned me off. Because of that, I figured any other game modes would fail to inspire me as well. Because the mode wasn't the problem. It was something about the feel of the game itself.

Obviously the demo inspired everyone else to lay down the points, but it didn't do it for me.

The first Geometry Wars by the way was the bonus game in Project Gotham Racing 2. But anyway I'm just saying you're missing out. Which is fine and all, but I think time will prove me otherwise ;)

Here's my take, the different game modes are EVERYTHING. They are simply the reason behind 99% of the fun within this game. It's way more than the original xblive Geometry Wars 2 + geoms and a timer. Plus the high score easy tracking touches are nice and more than make you anxious to beat your next pals score since it's always displayed prominiently up there on the top right :lol:

I got this cuz I loved the 1st GW. This almost kills it totally. Way more replay value.You played the weakest of the six modes I hope you know. Come ppl tell him. Its almost like six different games.....plus the 2 different multiplers player co-op.