IGNORED

Pole Position versions

Hi!

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of the different Pole Position versions out there (for Atari 8-bits)

I have the following :

Pole Position (Datasoft), think both cassette and disk

Pole Position 1.1

Pole Position 1.2

Pole Position 1.3

Pole Position 9 track

Pole Position Race Designer

Anybody know what's different with these? Of course 9-track has 9 other racetracks and Designer lets you create tracks ... but what about the others?

I think the Datasoft version has Datasoft in the logo instead of Atari and I think one of those versions does not centre the controls if you let the joystick to centre position. Anyone have other versions?

Thanks and take Atarian care

I only ever knew there was and Atari and Datasoft versions! I had no idea there were so many 1.x versions or a 9-track and track editor versions! Are these available on Atarimania or fandal site or somewhere else on the net? (I'll look, but it's easy to just ask right now)

• 1 month later...

Did these Pole Position track hacks awhile ago for the 5200. Here they are on A8. Looking at the hex data, you can see how easy it is to make your own tracks. Give it a try!

Pole Position original Malibu track (hex) data A8
3350: 0B 0A 09 08 07 05 04 03 02 01 00 00 86 83 82 81 
3360: 00 03 02 01 00 85 83 82 81 00 0B 08 05 02 00 83 
3370: 81 00 85 83 81 00 20 0A 05 03 01 10 0C 06 03 14 

Pole Position track hack1 (hex) data A8
3350: 0B 0A 09 08 07 05 04 04 04 03 02 01 00 81 00 00 
3360: 83 82 81 00 0B 08 05 02 00 00 00 05 01 00 00 84 
3370: 81 00 09 03 01 00 20 0A 05 03 01 10 0C 06 03 14 

Pole Position track hack2 (hex) data A8
3350: 0B 0A 09 08 07 05 04 03 02 01 00 00 0B 08 09 05 
3360: 02 00 00 85 82 00 83 00 00 00 09 0B 02 00 00 03 
3370: 01 00 00 89 00 09 20 0A 05 03 01 10 0C 06 03 14 

[Edit] 10 tracks

Pole_Position_track_hacks_A8.zip

Edited by slampam

• 2 weeks later...
B.T.W., as far as i can remember, i had a talking ("Prepare to qualify") version when i was young...

But i can't find it anywhere...

Does it really exists or is it my memory ? ;)

That was only in the arcade version, although I'd love for someone to hack it into the 8-bit version.

Tempest

Very doable, I'd say. Probably just find the bit of code that initiates the banner scroll and patch a JSR in there.

Use Pokey timers/IRQ.

I've ripped the digi-sound from a couple of arcade ROMs before and it's usually fairly easy.

But, the quality of the Pole Position digi sound is pretty poor to start with. Might be just easier to have someone with a similar sounding voice do a decent 16 bit sample at 48 KHz and use it as a starting point.

In all likelyhood it would increase the size of the ROM to over 20K. But, disk based no problem. A flashcart version could just have some RAM-based code to switch the banking over when it needs to read the digitized data.

I could whip something up pretty quickly. Then it's a case of finding some patch points.

But really, it would be better if we got someone to just do the voiceover from scratch. 2 KHz 4 bit samples will sound even crappier than the original.

Sure, we could use multiple voices to get 5 or even 6 bits, but it wouldn't be much improvement.

Another project might be to redo the sound for the game completely. IMO it's pretty poor compared to what could have been achieved.

I reckon some two-tone tricks could maybe get the engine sounding like the original... problem is that emulation won't reproduce it properly though.

Here's "Prepare to Qualify"

XEX and an MP3 of the audio capture from MAME for comparison.

Just run the XEX and press Start to get it to play the sample. It uses 4 bit samples at 4 KHz. That's 2K of data for "Prepare to qualify" plus a little more for the code that plays it.

It leaves the screen as is, the game would have fairly similar DMA stealing to a standard Graphics 0 screen anyway.

Doesn't use Pokey Timers, just stores to WSync for the moment. Leaves VBlank enabled but sets the Critic flag to disable Stage 2.

Qualify.zip

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of the different Pole Position versions out there (for Atari 8-bits)

I have the following :

Pole Position (Datasoft), think both cassette and disk

Pole Position 1.1

Pole Position 1.2

Pole Position 1.3

Pole Position 9 track

Pole Position Race Designer

Anybody know what's different with these? Of course 9-track has 9 other racetracks and Designer lets you create tracks ... but what about the others?

I think the Datasoft version has Datasoft in the logo instead of Atari and I think one of those versions does not centre the controls if you let the joystick to centre position. Anyone have other versions?

Thanks and take Atarian care

What do you mean it's a year old thread :D

It looks like the track designer does not run on a 130XE (128K) but does work on an XL (64K) please can someone patch this for me (and version X/9) :?: Have confirmed this on the emulator by chossing an XE with 64K and it runs! The designer loads and lets you save tracks on a DOS disk but does not play them.

The non-centering steering and some custom courses makes this a great game (even though they screwed up the race start beeps :twisted: ) as the original was a bit too easy :)

All the xex files out there, including the 7 new tracks on this thread, seem to have corrupted chequered flags. Has anyone got one that is ok :?: I have found an ATR of the datasoft version that is ok.

post-19705-125562199969_thumb.png

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've not done anything on the VBXE version for a while - still real early days there. And it'll be somewhat more work than what I originally thought.

I'd guess the 130XE is having problems because the hacked track editor you mentioned is doing something wrong with bank-select bits 2-5 of PortB.

There might be an easy fix - I'm not "supporting" any other versions although the hack I'm doing for VBXE will be as minimally obtrusive into the game code as I can make it, so that it can work with as many versions of the game as possible.

I might try something on the editor later, but note that I had nothing to do with it's development and aren't putting my hand up in any way insofar as supporting it.