IGNORED

Ltd editions/ WIP or proto of Classic h/w s/w seen or owned

carmel_andrews

Ltd editions, WIP or proto’s of Classic h/w or s/w seen or owned

(By seen, I mean seen up close and personal…in the flesh….. if you’ve only seen it on TV, video or photo’s it doesn’t count)

Seen…A Pal version (Motherboard only) of Warner’s version of the 7800 (the one with the expansion/Sio port)…I saw it in 1986 on Atari’s Stand at the Atari User show In London’s Victoria

Seen…Atari’s CDAR…Atari’s proposed CD device for the ST…Saw it in the 1987 or 1988 Atari User Show in Ally Pally on the Atari Stand…Didn’t make it to a UK release and only very limited release in the US

Seen….800XL-F (Motherboard only)…An Atari 800xl with Freddie/Freddy Chip v. Limited release in Secam, (French/Russian) Markets

Seen….3 1200xl’s (in UK)…Limited release in US only…2 were NTSC and 1 was Pal Modded

Owned…GEC’s Combo Atari/CBM cassette adapter (though I only owned the version with the Atari cable)

Owned …1064 (the first Memory upgrade for the A8, 600xl specifically, to use the PBI port…it was uncommon/rare until auditors found an entire former Atari warehouse full of 1064’s

Owned…. Gamebusters A8 game ‘Pogotron’ (uncommon/rare) it was basically un unaltered re-released version of Bignose software/RedRat’s ‘Sprong’ (also uncommon/rare)

Owned…Atari Corp’s A8 tape game ‘Cygnus X1’ according to people in the know, Atari didn’t ‘officially’ release this game…It was basically a poor mans version of Sega’s ‘Buck Rogers, Planet of Doom’ Coin op…which was converted to home format (incl. A8 )

Seen…. A WIP version of Futureware’s ST version of A8 sidewinder, called Sidewinder 68000, I saw it being worked on by it’s lead programmer Noel Daniels while he was still working for Sillica Shop (I don’t know if the ST version was released)

Seen…Adventure International/Scott Adams adventure game ‘Mission Impossible’, the game had to be renamed to ‘Impossible Mission’ (not to be confused with a game of the same name by Epyx) owing to AI/Scott Adams being pressured by a US TV company who had an old TV series of the same name

Anymore for any more

• 2 weeks later...
Seen…. A WIP version of Futureware’s ST version of A8 sidewinder, called Sidewinder 68000, I saw it being worked on by it’s lead programmer Noel Daniels while he was still working for Sillica Shop (I don’t know if the ST version was released)

You remember the old Silica Shop. Man that brought back pleasant memories. Used to get their news letters right up the point where they concentrated purely on the ST range of computers. What stands on that site now? ;)

Adventure International/Scott Adams adventure game ‘Mission Impossible’, the game had to be renamed to ‘Impossible Mission’ (not to be confused with a game of the same name by Epyx) owing to AI/Scott Adams being pressured by a US TV company who had an old TV series of the same name

Erm... well... see attachment. It was renamed "Atomic Mission" later on though (have that version too). Or were you saying they had to change it post release?

post-986-1219075411_thumb.jpg

You remember the old Silica Shop. Man that brought back pleasant memories. Used to get their news letters right up the point where they concentrated purely on the ST range of computers. What stands on that site now? ;)

They were (or rather he was) programming it while they were still at Lion House...all i remember seeing is noel playing with the graphics and a scroll and i thought OK, the ST can scroll (i only hope it was chunky like, like the A8 version)

Lion house today is boarded up and was bought by the city of london, their contractors are probably redeveloping it

As for mayhem, all i remember is hearing or reading that the particular scott adams adventure, was at some point changed to a different name, i know this because an old A8 contact i once had 2 versions of that game, the other version had the renamed title

Adventure International/Scott Adams adventure game ‘Mission Impossible’, the game had to be renamed to ‘Impossible Mission’ (not to be confused with a game of the same name by Epyx) owing to AI/Scott Adams being pressured by a US TV company who had an old TV series of the same name

Erm... well... see attachment. It was renamed "Atomic Mission" later on though (have that version too). Or were you saying they had to change it post release?

That is a real shame about Silica shop. At their height I recall they had 3 shops. My one regret was that I was unable to pay a visit to their original site :( ;)

As far as i remember, Silica's first location in London (TCR) was next door to what used to be Barclays Bank (which is now a bar/pub), last location is TCR was opposite where Shekana used to be (just opposite where carphone warehouse is now)

they also used to have concessions in Selfridges and Debenhams in Oxford Street