IGNORED

Atari 7800 Space Invaders 30th Anniversary Box

nonner242

On a serious note, if nonner or pacmanplus get any kind of contact from Taito or Atari, I am pretty sure we will know who tipped them off.

Yes, discussion on a public web forum and selling the carts on the web aren't tipoffs enough. :roll:

And I consider Al a personal friend of mine and would never knowingly do something to put his site or business at risk (regarding the carts) - I've even tipped him off when certain companies were considering action in the past. Likewise, I've always supported PacManPlus and even tried to help him out with his 7800 Space Duel tethered ships code, sharing hard earned tips on coding the game that I was paid for when I learned them and figured them out. So to suggest less then honorable intentions on my part is childish and highly disrespectful, if not unbelievable - speaking even more on your character or lack thereof.

Edited by wgungfu

Hi Guys:

This game was originally made as a learning experience for myself to see if I could really program a 7800 games from scratch. While I was doing PMC, I actually tried every which way to contact Namco to try and get permission to create it. I tried e-mail (a few times), contacting a person here who had ties with Namco, and I even left a message on their message board. I got *no* responses. The only thing I can conclude is that the big companies don't care if a handful of games are made for a 20+ year-old system that wasn't that popular to begin with. Why would Taito be any different?

I *wanted* to do this the right way from the start. BTW, and it was only after the fact that I learned of another person on this board who had closer ties with Namco. I wish I had known that while I was doing the research and making the efforts to ask them.

You can be sure - if I receive any kind of contact from Taito, I will stop (although I already have - 50 carts have been made and that's it). As I've said with PMC, I don't want AL to get into any kind of trouble, so I will let you know that I will not ask Al to host this game in the AA store now.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

This game was originally made as a learning experience for myself to see if I could really program a 7800 games from scratch. While I was doing PMC, I actually tried every which way to contact Namco to try and get permission to create it. I tried e-mail (a few times), contacting a person here who had ties with Namco, and I even left a message on their message board. I got *no* responses. The only thing I can conclude is that the big companies don't care if a handful of games are made for a 20+ year-old system that wasn't that popular to begin with. Why would Taito be any different?

The only way they'll care is if you make a ton of money off of their property. It's not like you haven't tried to do it the right way. No internet hit squat parachuted in to AA headquarters after Pac-Man collection, and they won't here either. If Albert doesn't want to allow it in the store, he'll let you know.

I wouldn't worry about these issues at all. All they will do is ask you to stop selling it, and I'd bet you'll never hear from them anyway :)

Just follow what everyone else did in the 80's and call it "Space Monsters" or something :P

post-31-1219681029_thumb.jpg

Or Space Evaders, or Star Invaders, or Space Potaters, or Ice Crusaders, or Stock Re-traders, etc. It's easy. Look up rhyming dictionary online and go to it. You could also change the graphics accordingly, and maybe add some power ups. Then it's all yours.

Not really, 20 or 1 sold are still sold and still a violation of IP, TM's, etc. And game companies do check this site and this board, among others, for that. There's a reason the rest of us have to license these games to sell them.

Marty, you are speaking to the wrong crowd...Many here actually KNOW what happened with Gorf

yet pretend as if there is'nt an issue. Dont waste your breath...Midway, Atari, Tiato and several others

are intent on dealing with this. I think PacManPlus did a wonderful job and he is a really nice guy but

I'd hate to see any of those companies decide to come down hard on him. Does this suck? Yes! But it

is what it is. If you put one of your two hands near a mean dog long enough chances are you'll have

only one left when all is said and done....that's if you manage to get out alive.

I wish PMP all the luck and success he can muster but he is definitely inviting the possibility of trouble

with these companies. Midway has NO intention to use Gorf since its arcade debut. That had ZERO

bearing on there decision. Their attitude was simple. It's ours and we will protect it with every lawyer

we have. Dont think the company makes these decisions.....the lawyers they hire do.

PMP made the attempt to contact like I did. This is a very uncommon practice among homebrewers

to their possible detriment.

Edited by Gorf

Don't be so sure nothing is in the works from Taito. And its irrelevant if you don't think the game companies are "trolling the boards", the fact is they are. Atari keeps tabs, as does Activision, Midway, Stern, and numerous other companies that those of us in the gaming arena have working relationships with, and routinely hear about goings on from - including legal matters. If you want to be selfish and tell nonner to put himself further at risk just because you want to buy one of the boxes or more of the games, that speaks more about your motivation as well as lack of video game business experience. Like I stated earlier, there's a reason why the rest of us have to license said game properties, and there was a reason why there was a TM placed next to "Atari 7800" when we did the Flashback, or "Atari 2600" when the Flashback 2 was done. And why Taito is still licensing and releasing Space Invaders related properties (such as demonstrated here), and actively protecting them (as clearly seen on the Taito.com main page, the previous page given, and this press release from 2 days ago). Case in point: "was produced entirely without TAITO’s knowledge and that the use of the world-famous Space Invaders® content was wholly unauthorized." Game companies treat any violation of its IP seriously, regardless of if its being large or small, with the smaller ones being seen as even more dangerous - if enough of the small ones build up unchallenged, their claim of IP can be challenged via release to public domain. Just because they haven't gotten to this particular one yet doesn't make it any less of a risk.

If that press release does not say it all, I dont know what ever will.

Hi Guys:

The only way they'll care is if you make a ton of money off of their property. It's not like you haven't tried to do it the right way. No internet hit squat parachuted in to AA headquarters after Pac-Man collection, and they won't here either. If Albert doesn't want to allow it in the store, he'll let you know.

I wouldn't worry about these issues at all. All they will do is ask you to stop selling it, and I'd bet you'll never hear from them anyway :)

Clearly you are a novice at this. Take it from some one who dealt directly with Midway concerning my Jaguar Gorf's release.

They care about every single copy and the licensing VP told me in no uncertain terms they will do what ever it takes to protect

even the smallest infringement on any thing they own.

Stop giving out dangerous advice that will ultimately hurt those who take the time to bother with these dead systems.

The same VP also told me they intend soon to really start cracking down. Oh, BTW, he also told me that Midway still

has license to Space Invaders and Galaxian under certain circumstances.

Watch what you say as it may get some one in legal trouble.

I think it depends on the company. Nintendo and Sony aren't guys you don't want to mess with.

You keep telling yourself that. If you think for one minute that Taito or Midway cares less than Sony

or Nintendo, you are very wrong. They care abotu every last byte of any code they own. Dont let

the fact that nothing has been done (nothing you may see, but there are things being done) that

these companies dont care. They care enough to have legions of lawyers ready to deal with this crap.

You keep telling yourself that. If you think for one minute that Taito or Midway cares less than Sony

or Nintendo, you are very wrong. They care abotu every last byte of any code they own. Dont let

the fact that nothing has been done (nothing you may see, but there are things being done) that

these companies dont care. They care enough to have legions of lawyers ready to deal with this crap.

You ever heard of Burger Time? The Data East died out sometime in the late 90's and the trademark is up in the air in this country. I don't have a clue who actually owns that now.

Thanks, Gorf

I just don't understand what the big deal is. Wouldn't things just work out nicer if they just licensed it out when asked? Have a small program set up for people who need a small amount of licenses (like homebrewers for classic systems). Maybe a couple of dollars per cartridge, maybe more. It's only more exposure for them, and can make some (albeit small) amount of money for them. Their IP is protected, and every one is happy - I just don't see a down side to it.

I don't get it.

Bob

You ever heard of Burger Time? The Data East died out sometime in the late 90's and the trademark is up in the air in this country. I don't have a clue who actually owns that now.

No, Data East declared bankruptcy in June 2003, and the name and the majority of its properties were picked up in Feb. of 2004 (8 months later) by a company named G-Mode. They are still actively using the Data East name and Burger Time, and leasing it. There's nothing "up in the air".

Thanks, Gorf

I just don't understand what the big deal is. Wouldn't things just work out nicer if they just licensed it out when asked? Have a small program set up for people who need a small amount of licenses (like homebrewers for classic systems). Maybe a couple of dollars per cartridge, maybe more. It's only more exposure for them, and can make some (albeit small) amount of money for them. Their IP is protected, and every one is happy - I just don't see a down side to it.

I don't get it.

Bob

I wish they would too, but from a corporate perspective it makes little sense. It trivializes the value of the IP to license out for such a small amount and limited audience market. They'd rather license to something that'd gain real market exposure and a much larger volume (cell phones, game collections, plug-n-plays, t-shirts, etc., etc.)

Listen though if it makes you feel any better, even Howard Scott Warshaw went through this with Saboteur when he tried to release it on his own through AA and had to stop because although he coded the original game, he didn't own the property (Atari Interactive did).

Edited by wgungfu

Bottom line advice to all...

Just tone down the hoopla and attention creating message titles and such... there are a lot of eyes watching AA, its very popular, plus there are those who don't like to see AA doing so well and might drop a dime on such projects as this, so for everyones fun sake and legal sake, whether its 1 copy, 100 or 1000, tone it down please...

because the moment someone gets C&D'd and has to stop making a game its gonna put a damper on everyone working on such great projects and it hurts everyone and everything.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Curt

Thanks, Gorf

I don't get it.

Bob

I wish they would too, but from a corporate perspective it makes little sense. It trivializes the value of the IP to license out for such a small amount and limited audience market. They'd rather license to something that'd gain real market exposure and a much larger volume (cell phones, game collections, plug-n-plays, t-shirts, etc., etc.)

Listen though if it makes you feel any better, even Howard Scott Warshaw went through this with Saboteur when he tried to release it on his own through AA and had to stop because although he coded the original game, he didn't own the property (Atari Interactive did).

Wow - the cabinet is an Atari 2 Game Module cabinet, very interesting...

Yes, from what it looks like that was done in Europe. The US release doesn't appear to look like that style.

Yeah and not to drift too far off subject, but yknow what's interesting is just going by the screenshots alone, in both those Euro versions of Space Attack it seems they're housing some direct Space Invaders bootleg of sorts and not actually "Space Attack" (a game I actually played a whole bunch at my dad's favorite family restaurant before ever playing Space Invaders back in the late 70's).

At least it looks that way by the shields. Space Attack's shields are all rough-edged blocks, wheras Space Invaders shields have that distinctive shape.

post-31-1219758736_thumb.jpg

1181242170172.png

Edited by NE146

Hi Guys:

Clearly you are a novice at this. Take it from some one who dealt directly with Midway concerning my Jaguar Gorf's release.

They care about every single copy and the licensing VP told me in no uncertain terms they will do what ever it takes to protect

even the smallest infringement on any thing they own.

Stop giving out dangerous advice that will ultimately hurt those who take the time to bother with these dead systems.

The same VP also told me they intend soon to really start cracking down. Oh, BTW, he also told me that Midway still

has license to Space Invaders and Galaxian under certain circumstances.

Watch what you say as it may get some one in legal trouble.

I said nothing that will get anyone into trouble :)

Yes, I am a novice at this :)

PMP is perfectly capable of making his own decision. I'd just like everyone to be able to get a copy of his work, especially since Taito and / or Midway more than likely have no plans to release a 7800 version of SI. If they wanted to, their best bet would be to officially licence this version since the work is done :)

More than likely they would only ask the game to be taken out of the store. It costs a lot of money to prosecute someone for selling a hundred copies of an unlicenced game for very little (if any) profit. But I do see your point. Carry on :)

Pertaining copyrights and trademarks, it is not because the holder wants to be mean or clamp down on the little guy. The trademark holder has an obligation to protect their intellectual property or face losing it. My wife and I are having to deal with this issue on our trademarks. It is most likely the act of selling those properties that is getting attention. That is what got our attention. If you were making the items for personal use or only showing people how to make a box from parts on hand, it would be more informational and not commercial.

Edited by Almost Rice

Thanks, Gorf

I don't get it.

Bob

Niether do I.....I only wish I could re-release Gorf Classic but as long as they own it, they can do as they will, even if it means

denying us at no loss to them. I can't say I blame them because as Marty pointed out, ifyou show you do not care about an IP

by inaction, it can be taken away.

Bottom line advice to all...

Just tone down the hoopla and attention creating message titles and such... there are a lot of eyes watching AA, its very popular, plus there are those who don't like to see AA doing so well and might drop a dime on such projects as this, so for everyones fun sake and legal sake, whether its 1 copy, 100 or 1000, tone it down please...

because the moment someone gets C&D'd and has to stop making a game its gonna put a damper on everyone working on such great projects and it hurts everyone and everything.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Curt

You are preachig to the chior on this with me bud.....BTW, hope all is well and you are doing well.

I said nothing that will get anyone into trouble :)

Yes, I am a novice at this :)

PMP is perfectly capable of making his own decision. I'd just like everyone to be able to get a copy of his work, especially since Taito and / or Midway more than likely have no plans to release a 7800 version of SI. If they wanted to, their best bet would be to officially licence this version since the work is done :)

More than likely they would only ask the game to be taken out of the store. It costs a lot of money to prosecute someone for selling a hundred copies of an unlicenced game for very little (if any) profit. But I do see your point. Carry on :)

No they probably would at first ask to remove it but then they'd be on you like white on rice

if you did'nt. Midway told me in NO uncertain terms that they would come after me, even if

I gave it away. You let an IP go and do nothing to protect it, it can be taken away from you

and made public domain.