IGNORED

What is your experience selling Internationally?

I sell items from time to time on eBay and I have had a lot of people ask if I would sell Internationally. I have always said no because it seems like more of a hassle. I just wanted to know what your experience has been. I know that PayPal does not offer protection when you sell Internationally. Have any of you been hit with a chargeback? Is there anyway to track and insure packages that are shipped Internationally?

Well, since I live in Sweden I more or less rely on that people are willing to ship internationally. Not sure about tracking, but insurance is no problem to get. And, there is a world outside the US consisting of people who sometimes are willing to pay alot more for stuff not available in there country of origin -> more cash for the seller. Good luck!

Well, I'm in the UK, and occasionally get international buyers. Yes can be little more hassle, but given that I like to buy internationally, it only seems fair to sell internationally.

Also, as Bez said, it should increase your profits.

Well, shipping internationally (outside the USA) for me is a bit more of a hassel but I will do it on request. All international shipments have to be taken to the post office, and additional forms must be filled out. I can normally put domestic first class items with the correct postage in the mail box and small priority mail shipments can be dropped off at a postal service truck near my train station - very fast and very convenient. They don't do international at that truck, except for global priority, so waiting on line during my lunch time is a real PITA.

The buyer must understand that I may charge a higher handling fee to compensate for this. I will ONLY ship AIR MAIL, surface mail is very slow and I don't want a buyer coming back saying he didn't get his package after 4 weeks because it's still sitting on some ship somewhere in the ocean!! International shipments may require more sturdy packing materials which may also cost a bit more.

Paypal doesn't really do much to protect you no matter what - they are only out for themselves. Most people don't even satisfy their domestic protection requirements anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Currently, I have a huge box going to Japan and I'm waiting for an International Money Order to arrive. I get more nervous with international transactions, but once you know whats involved, it's not that bad.

Being from one of the smaller countries in the world, made up out of traders and travellers, border mean little to nothing to me. I sell, trade and buy internationally and it works out just fine in 99% of all cases.

One other cool thing about trading internationally is that you get to meet and chat to people from different countries from all over the globe. Really broadens your perspective :)

Cheers,

Marco

I've shipped plenty of stuff to the US and other places from here. No problems really... I have the postage charts from the PO so I know what everything costs without having to go there in person (scales man, scales!).

A bit off topic, congrats on that eBay QUADRUN win, MayhemUK! Your pockets must be VERY deep!!! :)

About 20-25% of my selling is comprised of International Buyers, and I've never had any problems. Although yes at times it is a bit of a hassle...You can have any item(s) sent via USPS insured, but there is no delivery confirmation. Insured Items are the main hassle as you are required to fill out a large customs form stating exactly what is in the box, value etc, everything that is involved in using the small (under 4 lb/uninsured parcel) form, only in greater detail. As far as paypal's chargebacks...I've never had one, International or here in the US. The best tell tale sign is by feedback, although there is no guarantee; however, I'm a firm believer in the feedback eBay has instituted. Also, be aware of the weight of the package before giving a shipping quote to someone internationally otherwise you will lose plenty of $$$ by unstating your shipping costs.

Dave

I've done alot of buying and selling with people from around the world without trouble 99% of the time through ebay.

There are alot of great people out there who don't live here in the us,

why limit them from your auction? I know I don't like it if I want to bid on something and the seller is not in the us and won't ship here.

I've also done private (non ebay) sales from all over the world, so go ahead and be friendly with the rest of the world.

Ive dealt with many people internationally. Ive never had any problems with anyone overseas, buying or selling. Ive had more problems with people here in the States :x Its not that bad to deal with bidders from outside your country. As far as tracking numbers you can ask your local post office or UPS etc... for tracking numbers. I dont not recommend selling internationally :)

I ship internationally ALL THE TIME! I don't restrict anyone. Though I haven't been paid on a few occasions, that doesn't mean there weren't bidders not paying me in the US either.

This is what I've found out from selling.

1. International people have a tendency of bidding higher, since product may be unavailable to them.

2. International people BID on the auctions. I've had many auctions win with just one bid, and it's someone overseas.

3. I've never had a package lost when sent out of the country. (praying)

4. Canada is cheaper to send to than the US.

5. There are no real additional forms. If you are filling out a delivery confirmation notice, you have to write the US address on it. So filling out an international address is just the same. You have to write a couple things as in what you are sending and value, plus sign it, but there's no real extra work there. You do have to fill in your own address, but if you are like me, you use those free address labels you get in the mail, or you buy a stamper for $11+ shipped online with your address printed on it.

So I have to say 100% that I am totally happy with my international customers and will always welcome them. :)

Phil

P.S. I've bought from Marco a few years back and never had a problem.