IGNORED

Wanted: XL Translator in .ATR format?

wood_jl

I finally ordered and received my USB SIO2PC from Atarimax and I am impressed.

Been gaming all day using the old moves, until I can't play a few on the 130XE because I need the TRANSLATOR DISC!

I've Googled for 20 minutes looking for this in a download.....no dice.

I searched THIS SITE before asking this.....found old messages (2001) from someone requesting what I am here....but the link is too old and the page is gone.

NEW REQUEST: Can anybody point me to an ATR of the Translator Disc?

Thanks so much for any help provided. Can't believe how cool the USB SIO2PC is.

Also got some 8-megabit carts but don't know what to do with them yet....still having fun with SIO2PC itself.

JW

I finally ordered and received my USB SIO2PC from Atarimax and I am impressed.

Been gaming all day using the old moves, until I can't play a few on the 130XE because I need the TRANSLATOR DISC!

I've Googled for 20 minutes looking for this in a download.....no dice.

I searched THIS SITE before asking this.....found old messages (2001) from someone requesting what I am here....but the link is too old and the page is gone.

NEW REQUEST: Can anybody point me to an ATR of the Translator Disc?

Thanks so much for any help provided. Can't believe how cool the USB SIO2PC is.

Also got some 8-megabit carts but don't know what to do with them yet....still having fun with SIO2PC itself.

JW

You can go to : http://pokeysoft.no/games/atari/a8list.htm

Go to utilities section and search for the best one imho, Oldope Version 1.0 or just translator (have some 4 or 5 there)

Good luck

Either that, or Rev A/B of the original OS.

I'd have thought PAL/NTSC could have easily been incorporated automatically, given that there's not much difference.

Actually, trying them in the emulator, they both seem to be NTSC - run in PAL mode and the key rate is obviously slow.

Neither. Both sides are NTSC (there was a PAL version released in Europe) and REV B. And both can boot a disk or tape.

The difference is in the handling of Reset. Side A is supposed to trap the DOSINI vector, so that the installed OS under the ROM could survive a warm reset. This actually interferes with some programs, so side B doesn't mess with DOSINI.

Neither. Both sides are NTSC (there was a PAL version released in Europe) and REV B. And both can boot a disk or tape.

The difference is in the handling of Reset. Side A is supposed to trap the DOSINI vector, so that the installed OS under the ROM could survive a warm reset. This actually interferes with some programs, so side B doesn't mess with DOSINI.

Thank you, good to know ... always thought they looked very similiar ... still have best luck with the OldOper translator ... I think the only one I tested that ran some tape to disk conversions I have ...

Thank you, good to know ... always thought they looked very similiar ...

To be honest, I'm not sure I knew that until Curt posted the (partial?) sources here.

As I recall the instructions were just to try side A, and use side B when it doesn't work. I don't think they ever mentioned the Reset issue. And probably we never noted because we use the Translator mostly with games, where the Reset trap probably didn't work anyway.

I remember I had a piece of binary file that can be appended in front of any binary game file and did the same work than Translator. It was useful when games were saved on cassettes using a tape autoboot method. Gremlins (from Glenn) run fine with this method on an 800XL without a disk drive.

I cannot recall its name... :(

++Vitoco