IGNORED

gaming related podcasts?

S1500

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for Twitch Asylum! Very professional (even on ep. #1), they know what they're talking about, & frankly, they sound normal.

Scoring 2 lengthy but very interesting interviews w/ Howard Scott Warshaw & a 2 part interview w/ Curt Vendel only helps their cause. I listened to the 1st 5 eps. all night & never got bored.

While Twitch Asylum breaks the 1 hour rule, they are much more professional than RetroforceGO(Chad ruined it), and go deep into early 80s games, whether it be computer or console. Good stuff. And no holier than thou attitude like a certain other retro-themed podcast.

Easily the best retro-related podcast of the bunch.

Yep, I'll hear the "final" eps. (17 & 18 tonight)- hope they do more soon. The one guy drags out the "what we're playing" segment a bit too long (where the HELL do they find time to play so much???) & his PS3 Launch Day story was lengthy but interesting I guess. But I agree, the most professional p/cast Ive heard in awhile. Seems their forums arent very popular/up to date, I'd visit them more often.

RetroForceGO! was another story for me I'm afraid. I didnt even care to hear the last 15-20 or so min. While I cant help to laugh along when Chad starts howling, I get tired of them cooing over & verbally massaging each other. & no, everything's NOT "amazing".

& their "sister' Podtoid p/casts are wearing on me too. Jim Sterling is somewhat amusing, but it's not worth listening to the show for his snide comments here & there. & Topher says even less than he does on RetroForceGO!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, found a few new podcasts here & there. Here's a quick review of all of them so far:

Twitch Asylum

- By far the best retro-gaming related podcast to listen to. While the episodes are 1+hours, they are the only podcast that's worthy of that length. They even talk about classic computer games in addition to early console games. Download & enjoy.

Retrogaming Radio - While the episodes are long, the content is quite in-depth. Can get kind of preachy at times. Has on-field reports at classic video game conventions and plenty more. There's a bit of egotisim I get from the 'casts, giving off a vibe they are the only retrogaming-themed podcast in town.

World 1 Stage 1 - Retro Video Gaming

Token British guy? Yes(two)

So-so, single person podcast(?). Nothing really to write home about.

Poor audio quality. Sounds like they are in a (water) closet.

IGN RetroCity - One of the few podcasts that doesn't go over an hour. No 3-hour specials dedicated to Megaman 3 thankfully. Professional and nostalgic. Does a lot of focus on video game music(SID tunes, etc). Has a penalty of only one person talking.

Drunken Gamers - Hey, a local podcast! While heavy on the swearing, it's pretty decent with the video game coverage. That's about all I can say about it. They should probably have me on as a guest.

Retronauts - Sadly, their idea of "retro" is nothing earlier than post-crash. Mention Vectrex to them and they would give you blank stares.

Controller1 Gaming - Lasted a very short time on its episode run. Just hosted by one person. Couldn't keep my interest. If one person is hosting, there's no room for conversation, and it sounds like you are just reading off a teleprompter.

RetroforceGO! - Don't waste your time & bandwidth on this one. Chad's maniacal laughter every 20 seconds essentially ruins this show. He's at a 15 where they need him at a 6. Topher seems to suffer from the opposite problem. They frequently go off-topic where they fawn over each other & chat about what went on last weekend. It gets to the point where they just converse amongst themselves, forgetting they are recording a podcast.

Retrocore - By far, the absolute worst podcast ever. The audio quality is abysmal. Chris' delivery is mostly stammering(or general disinterest) , and Colin sounds like a fast food drive-thru speaker. The loudest audio are his sound notifications in Skype which should be muted in the first place. He's not doing anybody any favors by having special 3 hour episodes, mostly of him going "uhh", and getting distracted by his cat. Somewhere buried in the mess is something about video game discussion, but I'm too annoyed to care. Additional guests sound like they are transmitting from Apollo 13. They shouldn't even call themselves Retrocore, as the name was already used for a video series that was interesting and informative, which this has no resemblance to.

In short:

best: Twitch Asylum

worst: Rerocore.

Right on w/ your analyses, S1500. BUt I cant help but laugh along when Chad gets going on RetroForce. It's just so- strange. I would have to recommend RetroForce once or twice; if you cant stand Chad, then forget it.

I have a theory as to why he & Topher are like that. IIRC they start podcasting around 11pm PST Sat nights. Chad's in LA, so it's 11pm there. Topher is cross-country in Baltimore, so there's that much time difference (3 or 4 hrs?) so maybe he's tired & cranky & should be in bed. Though I think Colette is in Miami FL where it's also pretty late by then, & she's usu. pretty lively.

Just a theory. Most likely that's just they way they are as individuals.

Edited by RJ

• 2 weeks later...

www.evilavatarradio.com

I d/l'ed & heard some of these eps. awhile back but since other podcasts are scarce I'm trying the ones I've missed. Phil Kolar is pretty professional & I always thought his sidekick Amanda sounds kinda sexy (so did he, he married her!) IIRC they're a bit long & the later ones prob. mostly deal w/ current-gen games. But I'll give a listen tonight.

WARNING- DO NOT listen to Evil Avatar ep. #1!!! It is ABSOLUTELY horrible & not a good indicator of the Evil Avatar podcast.

www.evilavatarradio.com

I d/l'ed & heard some of these eps. awhile back but since other podcasts are scarce I'm trying the ones I've missed. Phil Kolar is pretty professional & I always thought his sidekick Amanda sounds kinda sexy (so did he, he married her!) IIRC they're a bit long & the later ones prob. mostly deal w/ current-gen games. But I'll give a listen tonight.

WARNING- DO NOT listen to Evil Avatar ep. #1!!! It is ABSOLUTELY horrible & not a good indicator of the Evil Avatar podcast.

It routes me to In-Game chat radio. Is that what you are referring to?

If you click on The Archives on the left side (Jan 06-Dec 08) you go to EAR archive eps.

After hearing some, they're not retro & Phil's voice puts me to sleep. Pass on this if you dont like straight talking &/or get bored easily.

If you click on The Archives on the left side (Jan 06-Dec 08) you go to EAR archive eps.

After hearing some, they're not retro & Phil's voice puts me to sleep. Pass on this if you dont like straight talking &/or get bored easily.

It's definitely in-game Radio. Yeah, too much straight talk. If you miss the first 30 seconds of it, you have zero idea of what they are talking about. I'm listening to these casually while vacationing in Poland, and I am just not picking up on it.

Can't we get Retrogaming Radio back? Ugh.

www.techdiversions.com

Seems to be a married couple selling games as well as hosting a short under-an-hr p/cast. Retro segments are too short to be very meaningful, but they do try to mention something each ep. Fairly decent if you can get past the guy's slight speech impediment, which to me sticks out like a sore thumb.

Retrogaming Radio officially closed up shop after ten years on the air. I always enjoyed it.

I have enjoyed it, but he needed to tighten it up more to make it a really good show anyway. I remember it was either on that or Dual Screen Radio that one time he had 30 or 40 minutes telling a story about installing his flat screen TV. It was pretty far from enthralling, I will tell you that. It was a show where he sometimes spent more time explaining why the show was late than he did talking about his main topic. When it was on, it was on. When he was off, it was horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey wondering where you were S1500. Im on TD Gaming pcast #70. I've determined it's decent although most of the content is current-gen news, they do short flashback & history lessons which sometimes go on long enough to be worthwhile. I've actually learned stuff I didnt know before.

I was considering doing a "roundup" of the podcasts I listen to, maybe just making a short synopsis of each ep. as I hear it. I'd post it here.

Edited by RJ

Hey wondering where you were S1500. Im on TD Gaming pcast #70. I've determined it's decent although most of the content is current-gen news, they do short flashback & history lessons which sometimes go on long enough to be worthwhile. I've actually learned stuff I didnt know before.

I was considering doing a "roundup" of the podcasts I listen to, maybe just making a short synopsis of each ep. as I hear it. I'd post it here.

What's TD podcast? I'm not recognizing the acronym offhand. Did you mean the live chatroom on drunken gamers a few days ago?

No it's techdiversions podcast from a few posts up on this page. The married couple that runs a gaming site. She now has Casualgamingchick.com, & the guy & a couple cohorts also do everydaydrinkers.com.

Edited by RJ

I highly recommend the "retrobits" podcast. It's not about video games exactly, but it talks about 80s computing nostalgia. Just hosted by one guy, but the episodes are less than an hour, and he goes pretty deep.

Boring Beige Box is good too.

Just heard part of the latest episode of Retrocore. Still horrible.

I highly recommend the "retrobits" podcast. It's not about video games exactly, but it talks about 80s computing nostalgia. Just hosted by one guy, but the episodes are less than an hour, and he goes pretty deep.

Boring Beige Box is good too.

Yep I like both of those as well particularly retrobits and if were talking about retro computing podcast as well now, 1MHz an Apple 11 podcast is quite good to.

You owe it to yourself NOT to listen to RetroCore. Your ears will thank you for it.

RetroForceGO! had a big (2+ hr) show last week made up of mostly Top 5 or Top 10 lists. Collette did (she reviews WiiWare games)"Top WiiWare game names" which set Chad off into hysterics. I know some dont like his howling but when I hear it I laugh so hard I cry, & that's hard to stifle while at work! :)

Not exactly retrogaming but they do get into gaming history and pedigrees, I ran into a cool podcast just his week, Idle Thumbs. Some of the guys on it are from Gamesutra and ShackNews so they really know their stuff and are usually pretty funny.

http://www.idlethumbs.net/

And if anyone was into some of the decent 1up gaming podcasts, some of those guys that were recently fired are starting up a new podcast called RebelFM. Listened to the first episode today and it was pretty good.

http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/news/2009/01...e-1-of-rebelfm/

Edited by oesii