IGNORED

WTB/WTT:Atari Jaguar Developer Kits (Alpine, Flash cart...)

doctorclu

You have a Jaguar Flash cart or Alpine (2 meg or 4 meg) you want to sell, or some other way of loading cartridge images and developing, I want to hear from you. :D

I have multiple things to trade as well...

Gorf for the Jaguar, and various other games.

Various bits for other Atari systems and computers.

Amiga equipment.

Drop me a line if you are looking to sell/trade in the near future.

Edited by doctorclu

You have a Jaguar Flash cart or Alpine (2 meg or 4 meg) you want to sell, or some other way of loading cartridge images and developing, I want to hear from you. :D

I have multiple things to trade as well...

An Atari TT030 (2mb, 100 mb hard drive)

Golf for the Jaguar, and various other games.

Various bits for other Atari systems and computers.

Amiga equipment.

Drop me a line if you are looking to sell/trade in the near future.

whats Golf for the Jaguar :)

Have you tried Best?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Atari Alpine II Jaguar " T " shaped Developers card! Plugs right into the Jaguar cartridge connector! Has on board clock with battery back up, On LED, 3 switches-Stop-Reset-Write Disable Write Enable, 16 Megs of on board RAM, Interface connector to Developer Jaguar console and a DB25 Female connector to transfer Program codes. Used to debug and program New Jaguar Cartridges and CD's! $495.00

Have you tried Best?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Atari Alpine II Jaguar " T " shaped Developers card! Plugs right into the Jaguar cartridge connector! Has on board clock with battery back up, On LED, 3 switches-Stop-Reset-Write Disable Write Enable, 16 Megs of on board RAM, Interface connector to Developer Jaguar console and a DB25 Female connector to transfer Program codes. Used to debug and program New Jaguar Cartridges and CD's! $495.00

Hmmm, asked BEST on this when I talked to them a while back. They didn't have any in stock at that time.

Well, I have a flash cart heading my way soon (Yahhhh!!!)

Considering how adaptable the Alpines can be, might look into getting one of those in the future. If anyone has one they want to part with, drop me a line.

This is in regards to a Flash cart that I just bought. If anyone knows how to troubleshoot what I am going through, please chime in.

------------------------------------------------

I tried another computer. Slightly better results. I still have a AVP imaged cart. (The image that the seller imaged onto the cartridge.)

This time around I got the computer with the countdown and even a "Success" message at the end.

When it asks me to hit "3" nothing is coming up from the Jaguar. When regular games are put in the Jaguar displays fine.

Do you know if certain model number Jaguars had trouble with the Flash cart? Mine are both M models.

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 weeks later...
This is in regards to a Flash cart that I just bought. If anyone knows how to troubleshoot what I am going through, please chime in.

I tried another computer. Slightly better results. I still have a AVP imaged cart. (The image that the seller imaged onto the cartridge.)

This time around I got the computer with the countdown and even a "Success" message at the end.

When it asks me to hit "3" nothing is coming up from the Jaguar. When regular games are put in the Jaguar displays fine.

Do you know if certain model number Jaguars had trouble with the Flash cart? Mine are both M models.

Is it possible to load ROMS onto a Flash Cart? Thanks!

Yes it is. Cool eh?

Yes it is. Cool eh?

Well how do you load ROMS onto a flash cart? I have looked all over the net doing a thorough google search and no luck

Well how do you load ROMS onto a flash cart? I have looked all over the net doing a thorough google search and no luck

Here are some instructions I got when I got the flash cart...

Quick instructions: Hook Jaguar up, connect FlashCart

interface to parallel port on your computer. Turn

the Jaguar on (you should see nothing on the

screen yet) then from folder where the flash file

is located, from DOS, run:

flash -p1 -d800000 avp.rom

Where 1 could be 2 or 3 for you, depending on

which printer port you're using on your computer.

At this point, the computer prompt says hold down

the "3" button on the Jaguar Player 1 Controller.

At this point, you should still see nothing on the

screen. While still holding down the "3" button,

press enter on the computer, and it should say

"Erasing Flash Rom", and it will say that on the

TV as well. At this point, you can release the "3",

and watch while the number of bytes transfered

count up on the computer, and the TV screen

turns blue as the rom is flashing, finally reports

a "Success" on the screen, then the game will

automatically boot up. No need to reset the Jag,

or even remove the Parallel port cable.

Here is the page with the most documentation on the Flash cart to date..

http://www.starcat-dev.de/subdomains/atari...sh/flash_d.html

Hard to believe something so useful has so little documentation, but once you get it working it is fairly easy to operate.

(Thanks Starcat Dev for having that page.)

Here are some instructions I got when I got the flash cart...

Quick instructions: Hook Jaguar up, connect FlashCart

interface to parallel port on your computer. Turn

the Jaguar on (you should see nothing on the

screen yet) then from folder where the flash file

is located, from DOS, run:

flash -p1 -d800000 avp.rom

Where 1 could be 2 or 3 for you, depending on

which printer port you're using on your computer.

At this point, the computer prompt says hold down

the "3" button on the Jaguar Player 1 Controller.

At this point, you should still see nothing on the

screen. While still holding down the "3" button,

press enter on the computer, and it should say

"Erasing Flash Rom", and it will say that on the

TV as well. At this point, you can release the "3",

and watch while the number of bytes transfered

count up on the computer, and the TV screen

turns blue as the rom is flashing, finally reports

a "Success" on the screen, then the game will

automatically boot up. No need to reset the Jag,

or even remove the Parallel port cable.

did all that and the game just comes up with the screen saying:

Jaguar Flash ROM v1.1

The screen just stops there and doesn't load the game. I am flashing via a Windows 98 PC and a DOS prompt. Before I flashed the game, I ran the game through jag2rom and then sent it that way.

Edited by eastbayarb

Ok, I got it to work! I just had to name .jag to .rom (not run it through jag2rom). In this case, I sent Alien vs Predator (avp.rom) to the flash cart and it seems to work fine. I can't get some other games to work however, such as doom (gives me the success screen and then just goes to green) or castle wolfenstein. Of course, games are named in 8.3 DOS filename format.

TESTED AND WORKING:

Alien vs Predator

Rayman

Atari Karts

Kasumi Ninja

White Man Can't Jump

NBA JAM TE

Fight for Life

Zool 2

Bubsy - Fractured Furry Tails

Will keep adding to the list as I go along. If anyone gets Doom and/or Castle Wolfenstein to work, let me know !

Edited by eastbayarb

Not at the moment. And these flash carts cost around $500, at least that is what eastbayarab was going to sell me his for. I don't have a PC that is compatible with it so I had to pass. The closet to a flash cart that is going to come out is the jagcf and trust me I will let you know the moment it comes out as I check the site daily :lol:

Not at the moment. And these flash carts cost around $500, at least that is what eastbayarab was going to sell me his for. I don't have a PC that is compatible with it so I had to pass. The closet to a flash cart that is going to come out is the jagcf and trust me I will let you know the moment it comes out as I check the site daily :lol:

Please do let me know.

$250 to $300 is about the going rate, but naturally people can ask whatever they want for what they sell. Based on your patience factor, the higher prices may or may not be worth it, you know how it goes.

Yeh the flash cart was made my Atari for developers and loads one rom at a time at either the address of $80000 (encrypted) or $802000 (unencrypted). Naturally those are the two I know of, I'm sure other addresses can be used. There is remarkably little documented about the flash cart (something that I'm trying to talk more about here, and something that eastbayarab is also trying to document better... now that he got his working.) :P

Good device. The nice thing about the flash cart in a Jaguar world that is anti-flash carts is that the device is an actual Atari device. So if you can get one, they are worth having.

The Skunkboard is basically a modern design of the Flash cart. USB verses Parallel. Very nice! :D

sucks how the skunkboard had such a limited run with no new offerings in the near future. The flash cart is one of those things that come up maybe once or twice a year and I am deffinitely holding on to mine. It is an official Atari product, so the purists that are against items like this don't frown upon it too much since it was a developer tool like the Alpine board. It isn't without it's flaws. Not every game seems to work (such as Doom or Wolfenstein), and I found the best way to use it is with a dedicated windows 98 machine, which I have made and I have right next to my gaming setup - this is used for other things that require a parallel port like my tototek SMS/Genesis flash cards, or my GB Transferer. XP can be a pain with parallel ports.

Edited by eastbayarb

sucks how the skunkboard had such a limited run with no new offerings in the near future. The flash cart is one of those things that come up maybe once or twice a year and I am deffinitely holding on to mine. It is an official Atari product, so the purists that are against items like this don't frown upon it too much since it was a developer tool like the Alpine board. It isn't without it's flaws. Not every game seems to work (such as Doom or Wolfenstein), and I found the best way to use it is with a dedicated windows 98 machine, which I have made and I have right next to my gaming setup - this is used for other things that require a parallel port like my tototek SMS/Genesis flash cards, or my GB Transferer. XP can be a pain with parallel ports.

You know I am starting to wonder about a couple of sub-factors in you not being able to load Doom. Doom did work on mine, and it was the typical image you can get off rom archives. So here's two factors we need to look into...

1) What is the rom revision on your eprom on your flash cart? I wonder if there are different versions?

(Probably not, mine on screen says version 1.0, but on the chip itself it might be different.)

2) What version of the rom loader are you using?

And soon I will try out Wolfenstein on Virtual Jaguar and other emulators to see if the image is good.

You know I am starting to wonder about a couple of sub-factors in you not being able to load Doom. Doom did work on mine, and it was the typical image you can get off rom archives. So here's two factors we need to look into...

1) What is the rom revision on your eprom on your flash cart? I wonder if there are different versions?

(Probably not, mine on screen says version 1.0, but on the chip itself it might be different.)

And soon I will try out Wolfenstein on Virtual Jaguar and other emulators to see if the image is good.

Well the program I am using is Flash Rom Download Utility Version 2.1 and when I go to flash the cart, the screen says:

Jaguar Flash ROM Version 1.1

Well the program I am using is Flash Rom Download Utility Version 2.1 and when I go to flash the cart, the screen says:

Jaguar Flash ROM Version 1.1

Thanks for mentioning this. Ok, will try somethings tonight.