IGNORED

Custom Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man ColecoVision Controllers

doubledown

So with the upcoming release of Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision from Opcode Games, I've been inspired to offer up some customized Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man themed ColecoVision controllers. Before there is any confusion, I am not affiliated with Opcode Games, nor are they with me, this is my personal project. If you want more info on the release of Pac-Man Collection for the ColecoVision please read this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131570

This project was about trying to capture the cosmetic aspects of the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man arcade cabinets, along with creating a controller that is truly functional and comfortable. That being said, here are the quick details of the customized controllers.

Pac-Man Controller:

Housing dyed yellow

Buttons dyed white

New keypad underlay that is black with yellow numbers and symbols, with a picture of Pac-Man for the * key

Pac-Man arcade cabinet marquee label on the bottom face edge

Black joystick extension shaft topped with a red ball knob

Six foot straight wire cord

Ms. Pac-Man Controller:

Housing dyed blue

Buttons dyed white

New keypad underlay that is pink with yellow numbers and symbols, with a picture of Ms. Pac-Man for the * key

Ms. Pac-Man arcade cabinet marquee label on the bottom face edge

Black joystick extension shaft topped with a red ball knob

Six foot straight wire cord

Here's a pic of the two different controllers side by side:

dualsideby35ev4.jpg

Here's a pic of how the two different controllers will look in your very own ColecoVision video game system:

dualcolecovision35ll0.jpg

If you're interested in the complete detailed description of all of the work that was performed, here's the link to the original thread where these controllers got started:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131758

Besides all of the cosmetic and functional modifications performed, these controllers will also be completely refurbished and tested to be in 100% perfect working condition.

Pricing

The controllers will be offered individually or as a set. One controller (either style) will be $65.00 plus $8.00 shipping via USPS Priority Mail (within the United States). A set of both controllers (1 Pac-Man & 1 Ms. Pac-Man) will be $125.00 plus $8.00 shipping via USPS Priority Mail (within the United States). A special manual/booklet that I am creating, and will be hand-signing, will be shipped with each set ordered. This manual/booklet is not available for individually sold controllers, only with the set of two.

I am offering a core credit for those who wish to supply their own doner controllers and/or cables. The yellow Pac-Man controller requires a beige ADAM hand controller for its doner because the dye I use is very thin and will not cover the black properly. The blue Ms. Pac-Man controller can start with either a beige ADAM, or a black ColecoVision hand controller. The one pictured above, started with a black ColecoVision controller. But one started with a beige ADAM controller will end up a slightly lighter shade of blue, and be closer to the arcade cabinet's true color. Sega controller cables are also required for the six foot straight wired cord. Acceptable cords come from official Sega 3-button control pads (MK-1650), 6-button control pads (model # unknown), and 6 button arcade sticks (MK-1627). The plug end of the cable will have the SEGA logo on them and have a small rounded hump on the top and the bottom. These are the only cables I will use as they are very durable with their fiber reinforcement, I have worked with them extensively, and I already know the color-coded pinout. Core credits will be as follows:

ColecoVision or ADAM hand controllers - $15.00 credit each. Again a beige controller is required for the Pac-Man version but both the black or beige are acceptable for the Ms. Pac-Man version.

Sega cable - $5.00 credit each. Again they must be the official SEGA cables as described above. If supplying the cable all you will need to send to me is the cable. You can simply use a pair of side-cuts or sharp scissors to cut the cable at it's point of external attachment to the controller.

Maximum credit is based on quantity purchased. If purchasing one controller, I'll accept one controller and one cable for a maximum credit of $20.00. If you are purchasing the set I'll accept 2 controllers and 2 cables for a maximum credit of $40.00. Credit will only be offered if the supplied items are not damaged. A purchaser supplied controller need not necessarily work 100%, it may be able to be refurbished and be fine.

I only have a limited number of the beige controllers, so for those ordering only the Pac-Man version, or the set of two, these will be on a first PM first serve basis. For those interested in purchasing, please send me a PM with the details of what you wish to order, along with any possible core units you may wish to supply. I will accept pre-orders from now through next Friday, September 26th @ 11:59 PM EST.

Edited by doubledown

So far six controller sets are spoken for. I got the manual/booklet finished today. It is 8 pages long and I made it in the spirit of the Canadian Coleco manuals, in that one half is upside down in regards to the other half. The front half is for the Pac-Man controller, and the rear half is for the Ms. Pac-Man controller. Once again this manual is only included with the set, not individual controllers.

manualpiczr9.jpg

I've been using my NES pad to 7800 conversion (entire housing dyed black) and my Jag Pro Pad to ColecoVision Super Action Control Pad (all buttons are dyed) both for quite some time and haven't noticed any wear at all. My 7800 pad has fallen a few times off of my table onto things other than soft carpet and there aren't any noticable scratches.

Are these controllers refurbished all nice and like new? How responsive are these in comparison to the regular coleco sticks? I am VERY interested in a set! :)

They are completely refurbished. The fire buttons are completely disassembled, and the contact slides, and rails are burnished, deoxidized, and conditioned, and look and respond like new. The directional contacts have had their domes desoldered from the PCB, and their underside (contact side) and contact points on the PCB burnished, deoxidized, and conditioned and again are as responsive as they ever were. Since these controllers are modified ColecoVision hand controllers they are obviously similar to the originals, but the new joystick extension and ball top makes a world of difference. With the joystick being longer it isn't as hard to throw the joystick in a direction anymore, so your hands don't get tired. I will admit that I've never been all that great at Pac-Man, but after I finished these I was testing them with the soon to be inferior AtariSoft prototype ROM of Pac-Man and definately had my best game ever on that version. If you lived closer to Toledo I'd invite you down to try them. ;)

Are these controllers refurbished all nice and like new? How responsive are these in comparison to the regular coleco sticks? I am VERY interested in a set! :)

They are completely refurbished. The fire buttons are completely disassembled, and the contact slides, and rails are burnished, deoxidized, and conditioned, and look and respond like new. The directional contacts have had their domes desoldered from the PCB, and their underside (contact side) and contact points on the PCB burnished, deoxidized, and conditioned and again are as responsive as they ever were. Since these controllers are modified ColecoVision hand controllers they are obviously similar to the originals, but the new joystick extension and ball top makes a world of difference. With the joystick being longer it isn't as hard to throw the joystick in a direction anymore, so your hands don't get tired. I will admit that I've never been all that great at Pac-Man, but after I finished these I was testing them with the soon to be inferior AtariSoft prototype ROM of Pac-Man and definately had my best game ever on that version. If you lived closer to Toledo I'd invite you down to try them. ;)

Next time I'm anywhere near Toledo, I will take you up on the offer! How's the kiosk doing anyway? I recall you having issues getting downstairs soon after bringing it home.

Oh and by the way, put me down for a set of the controllers! I can't pass this up! Looks like top notch work, as usual! :)

Next time I'm anywhere near Toledo, I will take you up on the offer! How's the kiosk doing anyway? I recall you having issues getting downstairs soon after bringing it home.

Oh and by the way, put me down for a set of the controllers! I can't pass this up! Looks like top notch work, as usual! :)

I moved into an apartment about 1-1/2 years ago so as of right now the parts of the kiosk are stacked up against the wall in the workshop/2nd bedroom. I can make some room to set it up, but before I do I need to replace the T-molding, and make new joystick plates so I can have the joystick on the left and buttons on the right. Just one more project! ;)

I'll add you to the list.

I'm VERY interested. How long do you plan on selling these?

Thanks!

I'm taking pre-orders untill this Friday, and then I'll start building them. They should be ready for payment/shipping no later than 10/10/08.

As of now there are (9) sets spoken for. The real limiter as to how many I can make is my stock of beige ADAM controllers which are required for the yellow Pac-Man controller. I'm keeping (2) sets for myself, so that makes (12) total sets available to buyers. There are a few buyers who have indicated that they may be supplying their own controllers, but to be safe I'm accounting for all sets to be coming out of my stash untill that's verified. So for all practical intents and purposes there are (3) sets left unless you can supply at least the beige ADAM controller.

Edited by doubledown

I know how people like progress reports. ;) Let the fun begin:

pacmancontrollers6gp8.jpg

I got these 6 formerly beige controllers stripped down and cleaned last night. I also got their PCBs refurbished as well and was able to get their plastic components dyed today. All these 6 need is re-wired and re-assembled.