carmel_andrews

Are you better at playing games on an emulator or on the real thing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you better at playing games on an emulator or on the real thing

• Emulation/Emulator
    • Real thing (Atari Hardware)
    • Both

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For one thing, you can use remappable keys. Games like Star Raiders or Defender become way easier when everything is on the controller.

If Defender got any easier, I'd never be able to die :)

Seriously, last time I played Defender was on hardware, played one game for something like 8 hours, final score over 10 million when I turned it off (hand was killing me, I still had 10+ extra ships). I don't think I could have gotten anywhere near that high using a modern D-pad style controller, but maybe I'm wrong.

Of course I was playing on "One Player Easy" mode, next time I should try Hard instead.

Easy on Defender can be played while in a coma. You pretty much have to change difficulties for it to pose any challenge. The same can be said of Star Raiders (since you have infinite shields and no hyperspace drift on the default setting).

Edited by Nukey Shay

Easy on Defender can be played while in a coma. You pretty much have to change difficulties for it to pose any challenge. The same can be said of Star Raiders (since you have infinite shields and no hyperspace drift on the default setting).

True. The real purpose for playing that game was to find out whether it rolls over the score when it reaches 8 digits (it doesn't).

Would have been easier (but less fun) to use the monitor in the emulator to set the score...

Star Raiders on easy is too boring to play, at least in Defender you *can* get killed.

I REALLY like the original hardware and working on making it where I can load any game or image on any Atari system.

But then I've also liked emulating Atari systems on the Dreamcast, and play Handy on the Mac for the Lynx, so a bit torn there.

Have emulators & still went and bought an Atari so I could play it with the origial CX40 joysticks. It's the whole nostalgia thing. Something about using old hardware....

Same for Arcades. I have MAME and love it but I am building 2 arcade machines from scratch at present which use proper arcade PCB's etc as the arcade machines have a more personal & realistic feel about it when using them. Especially multiplayer ... Gauntlet 4 player around a cabinet just rocks