IGNORED

Paul Slocum is a GENIUS!

StanJr

I was really surprised at the music in this game. It was actually like music instead of the "Beep-Bop-Boop" that you normally see (not that I mind the classic tunes). Some of the levels seem very close to techno I've heard, but I'm not positive. Can you tell me if the songs came from anywhere?

I wrote all the music in the game. Like Garry Kitchen did for Pressure Cooker (as he said at CGE) I learned which notes the Atari can play in tune, and I wrote music using those notes. I'm going to release a kit soon that will allow people to write their own music using my music driver. There's actually a couple of short MP3s of the Marble Craze music on my page about the sequencer kit I'm releasing:

http://www.mindspring.com/~paul-slocum/sequencer.html

I'll try to get some video up soon. Here's the main page for the game with a couple of (slightly out of date) screenshots.

http://www.mindspring.com/~paul-slocum/marble.html

-Paul

SEE! He even writes his own techno-VCS music. I'm telling you he is a genius.

I just made it to level 8, "Grand Prix" I got one screen in and splat! Talk about a challenge! And yet I can't stop playing it!

mojofltr, you MUST get this game. Shave a bit off that grocery list and order it already! :) :) :) :) :)

not following what you're saying, rob... you want me to HOLD onto a box, with the paddles? 'cause if one paddle is on the bottom of the box, I can't get to it... I'm sure, tomorrow, I'll know what you mean - for now, tho' - could you clarify?

Remember those marble games made out of wood where you tilt the platform to get the marble through the maze and avoid the holes? Marble Craze resembles this. To properly play the game .. mount the vertical paddle on the right side of a box. Mount the horizontal paddle on the front of a box. This control is the same as the wood marble game. Have fun!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I have this interview in which Garry Kitchen claims that the Pressure Cooker theme was actually composed by a jingle-writer, hired by Activision. Garry claims to not know how to write original music. (Looking for link...more to come, hopefully...)

CF

Yes, that information was on the Activision 3 Action Pack. If I can find my copy of it, I'll quote it.

Remember those marble games made out of wood where you tilt the platform to get the marble through the maze and avoid the holes?  Marble Craze resembles this.  

If I recall correctly, that is where Paul got the idea. So yeah it makes sense that box mounting would make it easier to play.

I have this interview in which Garry Kitchen claims that the Pressure Cooker theme was actually composed by a jingle-writer, hired by Activision.

That's true. He talked about it at CGE. He put together the list of notes that could be played in tune, gave it to a jingle writer and told him "write a song using only these notes", then programmed the tune that the guy wrote.

-Paul

For those of you keeping score, I finally got to level 9 "Marble Golf." Jeez Paul could you make these levels any harder? Grand Prix nearly killed me!

And score-wise the best I can do is around the 850 range! Who do I have to screw to get an extra marble around here?

Thanks Paul, again, for my latest obsession! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
Today I picked up a $1 plastic bin basin (16" x 12") .... drilled two holes in the right side and two holes in the front side .. and using rubber bands mounted the two paddles there .. This is a perfect control setup for Marble Craze !!!    :D  

Thanks Paul!  :)

I'll have to try that; I've just been playing with paddles sitting on the floor so far. Paul's game ROCKS! I'm so glad I got one at the Expo AND got him to autograph. I even had my wife take a picture of me shaking his hand. :D :D :D

If you're stuck you might try starting on some harder levels like 10 or 15. That way you can get some practice at more precise marble-control without having to keep working through the easier levels you've already mastered. Level 10 is a good practice level since it's short and simple but requires some pretty careful control.

Level 10 is actually the first level I designed when I was writing the game.

-Paul

Thanks Paul, I just might do that. I tend to run out of time as I try to be extra careful (which also ends up losing me a couple of marbles anyway ;) ). And I'm using level 5 as my control practice. But I just might do as you suggest, although I do like to "discover" each level in order.

What's a Stan to do???? :) :) :)

Just got Marble Craze in the mail today. WOW! 8) 8) 8)

I've only been playing it a half-hour. I'm still getting used to controls, but it's because they are unlike any other video game. I don't see how I am going to survive in the levels without walls.

The music is incredible as well. Is it really coming out of a 2600?

Stan is right, Paul Slocum is a genius.

Slow and steady wins the race on the wall-less levels, Big Player.

Don't rush, move one direction at a time, and allow the marble to stop before changing directions.

The first few wall-less levels have BIG paths to follow, so it won't be as bad as say the Key Level or the Adventure level.

I love this game SO much. I hope everyone gets a chance to play it and love it as much as I do.

Thank you Paul.

BP, keep me posted on your progress!!

:) :) :) :)

I love this game SO much.  I hope everyone gets a chance to play it and love it as much as I do.

Me too! I've always been a big fan of the marble Labyrinth game .. so when I heard Paul was making this game .. I knew I had to have it .. and make the washbasin setup to hold the paddles at vertical and horizontal .. I like the look of the game .. the marble shimmer when rolling .. music .. It is a really polished work of art!

Imagine if Paul, Thomas, and others worked for Atari way back when!