IGNORED

8-ways scrolling games

Cybergoth

that is exactly what I do not get yet... filling the buffers in an easy way means calculating the buffer adresses.

The code already calculates LMS's addresses (top let corner of screen too), it's not so difficult to get upper/bottom/left/right buffer addresses from that point.

Regarding 8 way scrolling games, do you think that Rally Speedway is the best overhead racing game doable or is it possible something like TOCA Touring Car Championship for GameBoy Color?

post-12528-1223043249_thumb.jpg post-12528-1223043521_thumb.jpg

Obviously not at the same graphic level but with isometric view and one or two other cars.

By the way, this game has an excellent playability.

OK guys. Some things from the past:

Description:

• smd.atr : "Scrolling MCS Demo", with hardsynth track.

Scrolling MCS I wrote back in 2004 to show some possibilities to use PMG underlays for scrolling. Note: it's in all 8 directions

I didn't apply any wrapping though. The whole level is layed out uncompressed in memory (it's 20 kB)

• sm3.atr : "Super Mario Clone", also with the same hardsynth track.

Here I applied MWP principle succesfully.

• mwp.txt : "Minimum Wrapping Principle"

It is a part of my sm3 engine. Unfortunately I forgot how it exactly links to the other parts of my code.

MWP has a few disadvantages. It takes minimum memory (which was the reason for me to design it that way), but takes some CPU time now and then. Indeed (like Heaven pointed out) there's some non-trivial code needed to fill the buffers in the right manner.

hmm I think I get it. one sets 'lms' for each char row, so scrolling up down and wrapping only one char line around is easy. the tricky part is that scrolling horizontally will mix up the char rows fex.:

start:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

bbbbbbbbbbbbb

ccccccccccccccc

scrolled to right:

ccccaaaaaaaaa

aaaabbbbbbbbb

bbbbcccccccccc

thos updating left/right side gets tricky.

nice idea.

Oswald...you are not 100% right... the display list is build with 2 LMS while one remains at the top of the display while the second is written directly into the display list slotes and moved in the disiplay list plus updated while scrolling in y-direction...

the size per scanline is 24 bytes (scrolling enabled so 4 buffer bytes automaticly added)

Edited by Heaven/TQA

hmm I think I get it. one sets 'lms' for each char row, so scrolling up down and wrapping only one char line around is easy. the tricky part is that scrolling horizontally will mix up the char rows fex.:

start:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

bbbbbbbbbbbbb

ccccccccccccccc

scrolled to right:

ccccaaaaaaaaa

aaaabbbbbbbbb

bbbbcccccccccc

thos updating left/right side gets tricky.

nice idea.

No LMS for each char row, only 2 LMS for whole display, one obviously at the start of DLIST and the second at the point where the data in memory wraps at the begining of block of videoram.

Ha, Heaven was faster... and as he wrote about 24 bytes.. it depend's on the graphics mode and screen width of course, but in the demo it is 24.

Edited by MaPa

hmmm.... in theory MaPa is right... we know the left corner, add +24 so we have the start of the right buffer and then go down writing the buffer with +24? but where is then the trick??? ;)

maybe it is like with fixed point maths... i thought it is a miracle and i am too stupid to understand but at the end it was nothing to think about... ;)

hmmm.... in theory MaPa is right... we know the left corner, add +24 so we have the start of the right buffer and then go down writing the buffer with +24? but where is then the trick??? ;)

Yes, the right buffer is somewhere there, and then "just" add +24 and so on.. and where is the trick? You fill ie. the right buffer down but not whole height of screen but only part of it, till it wraps around and you have to wrap buffer too and start from top of video memory block and fill the rest. And another trick is to not break your brain while coding it all together and make it work correctly :)

Mapa... where do you know where it wraps???

so i guess every 24 chars? (so 1 screen)

look, in this version you should only press left... the demo fills only the right buffer from top do down with the x-offset (mwpx) as charcode.

but when 1 screen scrolled you see how the fill-collum-buffer would need to be adjusted to get that correct...

and when scrolling in the other direction try to imagine how you would fill up the buffers...if you can tell me the rules... thanks for letting me know... ;)

ps. the original code by Gauntman seems to have a bug? in the original demo he writes a counter directly into the screen ram where the char is changing but when scrolling to the right the char jumps at a special position...

mwp1.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Mapa... where do you know where it wraps???

so i guess every 24 chars? (so 1 screen)

look, in this version you should only press left... the demo fills only the right buffer from top do down with the x-offset (mwpx) as charcode.

but when 1 screen scrolled you see how the fill-collum-buffer would need to be adjusted to get that correct...

and when scrolling in the other direction try to imagine how you would fill up the buffers...if you can tell me the rules... thanks for letting me know... ;)

ps. the original code by Gauntman seems to have a bug? in the original demo he writes a counter directly into the screen ram where the char is changing but when scrolling to the right the char jumps at a special position...

Yes, there is a "bug" in original code, but there are not any buffers at all, just scrolling around the ram window.

Left/right buffer you just fill fromtop to down from "LMS" or "LMS+24" to down, but not whole screen height but only screenheight-mwpy bytes, then it wraps around and fill the rest (mwpy bytes) from top of video ram window (or say from first possible line). Whenever you reach the wrap point in X axis (one screen width, then it just resets mwpx and increment mwpy), you need copy first line to the last and vice versa, depending on which direction you were scrolling (left/right). Really hard to understand, at least it was for me, and even harder to code it properly :)

that is exactly what I do not get yet... filling the buffers in an easy way means calculating the buffer adresses.

I'm currently "playing" with MWP (why is it called Mininum Warp Principal?) for a project. It's really an elegant technique, I'm suprised it wasn't discovered earlier. I know what you mean about calculating the buffer addresses, and I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I will have to tackle it soon.

I'm thinking probably some sort of lookup table based on the mwpy and mwpx variables?

Hmmm, reading more of the messages and it seems a lookup table won't be possible for left and right edges, or at least the lookup table will be very big. :)

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

why only 24 chars wide ? it wouldnt work in a wider version ? its also strange why 4 chars is added as side buffer. c64 covers 2 chars for horizontal and 1 char for vertical fine scrolling, and nobody knows why the hell they made it 2 chars in for horizontal. 1 char size going under borders is enough in either case.

as for my wrong lms assumption, thats me not knowing a8 video chip enough :)

similar scroll technique can be done on the c64, only it really needs HW tricks, and it comes with a disadvantages: the hw trick will take away 4 chars from the visible screen height and as the sprite gfx data pointers are located normally at the end of the screen being invisible (screen+$03f8) due to the wrapping around they become visible :) it is possible to hide the garbage they represent as chars/color memory (depending on the mode) but its awkward to work with that.

Oswald, you can make each scanline as long as you wish til max. 4096 bytes. this is the maximum antic can read per internal adress counter.

here you have to know that we are using a simple "Graphics 1" (basic mode) screen which normally takes 20 bytes per line in normal mode, 16 bytes in narrow mode and 24 bytes in overscan mode (antic calles that mode6, thats why you see $x6 in the display list). when enabling Hscroll and vscroll bits ($3x) antic reads automaticly for hscroll 4 chars more per scanline (left border, right border). look at http://www.atariarchives.org/dere/ in the antic and scrolling section. as we are using mode6 (chars = double size in x).

hscroll tells antic only to "skip" x-amount of colour clocks (pixels on screen) in that line and to start drawing after that. same to vscroll, skipping amount of scanlines to draw.

so... yes, you are right...it would be enough to read less buffer bytes but remember that you can enable "wide playfield" = overscan mode which removes the border by design... so here you would need to read more bytes per line and i guess that's the reason why they read 48/24 bytes when hbit is set in dlist graphics commands and not 42/22.

Edited by Heaven/TQA

I think that the word Warp in MWP in the demo is just misstyped word and should be Wrap.

I was "playing" with this method too, trying to develop it myself but then I found this demo and started from it, learn it, understand it, adapted to antic mode 4 (char mode 160x192), added filling the buffers from map data... it was really pain ;) Everytime I thought it's ok, in some cases there were graphics errors on screen etc. but finally I got it working. Really nice scrolling method with minimal memory resources, but when you are trying to do soft sprites then, another wird coding comes, the sprites wraps around too, have to write more complicated slower code etc. Maybe there is some elegant way but I didn;t figure it out yet.

Regarding to antic fetching more bytes, I think it has to fetch that many more bytes to cover whole HSCROLL range. Hscroll can be 0-15 color clocks, so it is 4 bytes in 40 bytes wide screens and 2 bytes in 20 bytes screen. Of course symetrically on both sides.

I still dont get it why it is a good idea to have a screen in a game on atari which has les chars than a vic20 ?!

Are you pointing at that 24 bytes line width? It is mentioned just in case of that demo I linked here. It uses text mode with bigger characters, so only 20 (24 with hscroll) bytes per line. You can freely use any mode you want. For a game you would use charmode with 40 (48) bytes per line for example.

mux... but a source code without any comments... ;)

It's difficult to follow other people's code sometimes with no comments, especially an optimized routine... That's why I was going from the source that Gauntman had posted. Also, I think the typo "warp" versus "wrap" comes from there. Speaking of that, what is the bug in that code that you guys had found?

I'll take a look at the code you posted, Analog and see if I can figure it out.