IGNORED

Sinistar 2600 - Final Version

CPUWIZ

I have two or three WIP versions (the ones on Tempest website) and have the final version but the label says Sinistar EPROM Cartridge. I know somebody that is selling a final version (not the auction). I would say there are a few of these floating around. However, I would rather get a WIP version as they are more desirable than the final version.

I have noticed lately on the protos I have won that there have been some bidders with zero feedback which makes me WONDER if those scam artists from third world countries are trying to scam the sellers. Honestly, e-pay needs to do something about that because it makes collectors like me weary on putting bids for auctions like these and affects the sales for the seller.

I have two or three WIP versions (the ones on Tempest website) and have the final version but the label says Sinistar EPROM Cartridge. I know somebody that is selling a final version (not the auction). I would say there are a few of these floating around. However, I would rather get a WIP version as they are more desirable than the final version.

I have noticed lately on the protos I have won that there have been some bidders with zero feedback which makes me WONDER if those scam artists from third world countries are trying to scam the sellers. Honestly, e-pay needs to do something about that because it makes collectors like me weary on putting bids for auctions like these and affects the sales for the seller.

I would be suprised if there wasn't a bit of shill bidding going on in some of the auctions you have won :( . Its a shame there is no longer transparency in the ebay bidding process. I have almost entirely stopped buying off Ebay for this reason. There are very few items that you can't eventually get off forums like this.

I disagree with you on this one for one reason. I believe that final versions are not as desirable if the game has been released. But because this game was never released I would say that you could argue it's the other way around.

I disagree with you on this one for one reason. I believe that final versions are not as desirable if the game has been released. But because this game was never released I would say that you could argue it's the other way around.

The bottom line for me with protos is this: the more unpolished it is, the more desirable it is....

The bottom line for me with protos is this: the more unpolished it is, the more desirable it is....

I only understand this if it is released. Because a final proto of a released game shows you nothing and the more unpolished it the more it shows you. But for unreleased games the more finished it is the more it shows you because there is no released version.

Not to veer off topic, but Sinistar has got to be one of my fav games of all time. I literally have been waiting for the 8-bit version to be released since I read a preview for it in the 1980's in Analog magazine!!!! Despite being found that one has been sitting around unreleased for years... but I would love to at least play the 2600 version just to see how they pulled off the game on the VCS and see if any of the fun remains. Is the rom for this playable version of Sinistar available so us poor people that can't afford prototypes can download and try?

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

And I agree with homer on this, too! :)

Not to veer off topic, but Sinistar has got to be one of my fav games of all time. I literally have been waiting for the 8-bit version to be released since I read a preview for it in the 1980's in Analog magazine!!!! Despite being found that one has been sitting around unreleased for years... but I would love to at least play the 2600 version just to see how they pulled off the game on the VCS and see if any of the fun remains. Is the rom for this playable version of Sinistar available so us poor people that can't afford prototypes can download and try?

I believe this is the v3 "final" version as mentioned on Tempest's site...

Sinistar__1984___Atari___Prototype___a_.BIN

thanks!! I only wish I had a flash cart for my 2600, but an emulator will have to do.

Wow, I've been out of the loop. That turned out better than I ever thought possible for the 2600!

Ended at $301.50

I find it funny how I said a while back that prototypes of unreleased games that have been dumped are worth less money then ones that have not been dumped and everyone jumped on me about it. Well, who here thinks that Pink Panther or Charlie Brown would only pull $301.50?

Ended at $301.50

I find it funny how I said a while back that prototypes of unreleased games that have been dumped are worth less money then ones that have not been dumped and everyone jumped on me about it. Well, who here thinks that Pink Panther or Charlie Brown would only pull $301.50?

The problem with that though is Elevator Action which was released went for $2,000. This could be though that there are only 2 Elevator Action Proto's known to exist. I think what really drives the proto market is how many of any type of proto exist. My guess is there are more than a couple of Sinister proto's out there thus making this less valuable. The Pink Panther and Charlie Brown proto's are the only proto's known to exist. Thus making much more valuable.

Here are all four versions, including the final version (dated 02-13-84):

Sinistar__01_04_1984___Atari__Tod_Frye___CX26122___Prototype_.bin

Sinistar__01_23_1984___Atari__Tod_Frye___CX26122___Prototype_.bin

Sinistar__02_13_1984___Atari__Tod_Frye___CX26122___Prototype_.bin

Sinistar__1984___Atari__Tod_Frye___CX26122___Prototype_.bin

8)

Ended at $301.50

The problem with that though is Elevator Action which was released went for $2,000. This could be though that there are only 2 Elevator Action Proto's known to exist. I think what really drives the proto market is how many of any type of proto exist. My guess is there are more than a couple of Sinister proto's out there thus making this less valuable. The Pink Panther and Charlie Brown proto's are the only proto's known to exist. Thus making much more valuable.

Elevator Action was just stupid. Someone really wanted it and they will have problems getting the same price if they ever have to resell. It is ok to overpay for something if you really want it. Hell it is your money. That buyer just overpaid. No doubt about it.

Buyers overpay for common carts sometimes too. This time it was a prototype.

Yeah EA I think wasn't that out of control (well, it should have been a $1k-$1.2k item IMHO). This is a pretty appropriate price ($200-$500) for an unreleased 2600 lab loaner where there are multiple copies out there.

Yeah, there was no final version of this game. They never finished the collision or 8 directional play, right?

Pink Panther and Charlie Brown definitely have a skies the limit price range (I think $3k is possible) just because there are only 1 of each known. If something is undumped it could increase the value a little bit, but not as much as in the past.

I am not that worried about shill bidders. It's almost like a reserve if they are in cahoots with the seller. People are instinctively paranoid.

I too am a big Sinistar fan. I don't know why, nobody can really get past the second zone anyway. I just picked up Sinistar Unleashed, a PC game, and I'm wondering if anyone here has checked it out? I had no idea there was an updated version out there. I think it's funny because Sinistar was such a niche masochistic game.

I just picked up Sinistar Unleashed, a PC game, and I'm wondering if anyone here has checked it out? I had no idea there was an updated version out there. I think it's funny because Sinistar was such a niche masochistic game.

I have Sinistar Unleashed, and I rather enjoyed the update, from the graphics to gameplay to back story. The arcade game definitely startled me the first time I heard "I HUNGER!" I found it to be a challenging game to play. I still fire it up on MAME from time to time, but I do miss playing it on original hardware.