IGNORED

Show us your 5200 collection!

Texasmame

S-video sounds like a nice way to go, but on a pixelated screen just doesn't appeal to me. djpubba, have you ever hooked it up to a DLP or 30-40" CRT?

The native resolution of this particular plasma display is 640 x 480 so it looks really nice. I'll see if I can take a close-up piccy to show y'all. I'm very pleased with it. I've never hooked it up to a DLP, but I've hooked it up to a 32" CRT. It looks wonderful there too.

S-video sounds like a nice way to go, but on a pixelated screen just doesn't appeal to me. djpubba, have you ever hooked it up to a DLP or 30-40" CRT?

I definitely agree there. Perhaps either of those would be better for something like a 2600, Although a haven't messed around with DLP's, they do look good tho. Nothing beats a good crt when it comes to older hardware tho.

Nothing beats a good crt when it comes to older hardware tho.

This does in my opinion. Y'all just haven't seen the an old system properly modded, displayed on a plasma with the right specs.

http://www.hardcoregamermag.com/transfers/...ba/DSCF2443.jpg

This looks even better in real life.

Most LCD/plasma displays you've probably see old systems connected to have been too high-res — 1024 x 768 or more, so yeah, it looks bad. If you ever have the opportunity to see one modded for a nice clean signal on a 640 x 480 native res display, you may reconsider what the best picture you've ever seen is.

This does in my opinion. Y'all just haven't seen the an old system properly modded, displayed on a plasma with the right specs.

Most LCD/plasma displays you've probably see old systems connected to have been too high-res — 1024 x 768 or more, so yeah, it looks bad. If you ever have the opportunity to see one modded for a nice clean signal on a 640 x 480 native res display, you may reconsider what the best picture you've ever seen is.

I'll pass. Why we have to change everything from the way it was meant to be is beyond me. I've seen junk like this and with the newer sets that are out now, you end up seeing every little defect there is. I also like what this one site has to say: Plasmas are generally not repairable. There's nothing like buying a good piece of junk these days.

I'll pass. Why we have to change everything from the way it was meant to be is beyond me. I've seen junk like this and with the newer sets that are out now, you end up seeing every little defect there is. I also like what this one site has to say: Plasmas are generally not repairable. There's nothing like buying a good piece of junk these days.

I wouldn't call them a piece of junk, they aren't that bad. I just prefer the smoothing effects of a CRT on the bitmaps older sprite-based games host. Some of the newer flat screen monitors are boasting 120hz and super high contrast, which may cut down on some of the analog -> digital conversion time limiting the delay between the controls and display refresh.

I wouldn't call them a piece of junk, they aren't that bad. I just prefer the smoothing effects of a CRT on the bitmaps older sprite-based games host. Some of the newer flat screen monitors are boasting 120hz and super high contrast, which may cut down on some of the analog -> digital conversion time limiting the delay between the controls and display refresh.

Well perhaps not. I know theres worse out there, but for the money they charge for them, i've never seen so many returns in the stores. My wife worked at Wal-Mart, and it was a constant flow of returns and complaints regarding Sony lcd's and Vizio set and the like. I did some reading on the net and there are tons of negetive remarks regarding the flaws and glitches plus all the other downsides to this "newer" technology. To me, its not time tested and very reliable. How long were crts out on the market? Since the 1940's?? Not to mention, all the hard working people that spent many years trying to make a living working on tv's in repair shops. "Even if they did price gouge and overcharge sometimes" :ponder: All in all, when it comes to older game systems, i prefer a good crt. I have my HD set for newer stuff. Plus i can't see modifying these older systems. Thats one of the reasons we collect, to keep them in original condition. If we can't do that, they won't be around much longer.

You're arguing against nobody. Nobody, including myself, thinks the fancy new high-res flat screens look better than a CRT with older systems. I already said that. What I'm saying, which I don't think is refutable without actually seeing it with your own eyes, is that if you modify an older system to output a cleaner signal and connect it to a flat screen with native 640 x 480 resolution, it looks amazing, perhaps even better than a CRT. Whether the fancy new high res LCD screens are worth the money or not is beside the point. Those are all too high-res to look good anyway. Whether or not you *should* mod older systems has no impact on how great it looks if you do. If you do, it looks really, really nice both on CRTs and flat screens.

That said, I paid $225 for my 48" 4:3 plasma because nobody wants a 640 x 480 4:3 plasma display.

Whether it's moral to do it or not, I don't really care. I'm doing it to mine because I like how it looks. I *hate* ugly color bleeding and dot crawl you get with composite video and RF. On top of that, it's reversible, so if my great, great grandchildren, 200 years from now, want to restore my 5200 to factory original condition, they can do it in under 15 minutes and nobody will ever be able to tell it ever output s-video. Just open it and remove the mod.

Even if it weren't reversible, which it is, I really doubt people modding their 2600, NES or 5200 would deplete the supply. They made a lot of them. :)

Edited by djpubba

Interesting conversation

I've got to say... I spent a ton of money on original equipment... and, RF modulation to a CRT through a comp cable sucks...

The first RGB modded 5200 I got proved that. I've got an RGB modded Coleco, too. So much nicer to just go right into the set and not deal with all that inferference and signal loss.

But... with THAT said...

On my 17" widescreen HP laptop, Stella or Atari800WinX playing Demon Attack looks GORGEOUS. The HP is a multimedia laptop, and it has a beautiful screen - and I've just never seen Demon Attack look better. The colors are super crisp, the graphics are sharp... It just can't be touched.

Then I didn't discover Xbox modding because I couldn't do that because it is illegal... but if I *had* done it, I would have found that with a nice digital stick, the Xbox emulation of the 2600, 5200 and 8 bit becomes a very viable and inexpensive alternative to buying the REAL stuff and cuttle carts and USB Multi Carts and all of that... and I might have felt a little regret at sinking so much money into original equipment when I can hardly tell the difference between it and the same stuff emulated on the Xbox. Sure glad I wasn't able to softMod the Xbox so that I never experienced THAT disappointment.

At one point, early on with emulation, I decided that there were two things, the interface (a REAL Atari stick, 2600 or 5200) and the video output (a genuine old school CRT TV) that made the experience...

Now, I've softened that perspective. Emulation has come so far, with things like the Pixels Past Atari USB deal (I forget the name now) - and Xbox emulation and softmodding and the wide variety of digital sticks available for it (plus the ability to easily hook up the Xbox to any kind of TV)... that you really DON'T need the original equipment to get the basic feeling.

If you collect for the nostalgia of the boxes and catalogs and art... that is one thing. An Xbox will never deliver that... PC emulation will never deliver that...

But game play... I've got a theory. If you hid everything else and had two CRTs with one playing real hardware and the other emulated, but the same stock controllers, 99.9% of retro collectors wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real original hardware and emulation.

Ultimately DJPubba is right... to each their own. If you prefer a CRT and don't see the value of modern tech, no sweat. Enjoy. But, I agree with him, on the right modern equipment, these games can look BETTER than they ever did on the stuff they were "designed" for.

Um... Plasma is a bad choice for gaming. It burns in super quick. LCD is a much better way to go. I've got a 42" LCD and Plasma.

Failure rates have improved dramatically, as well. Walk through any airport. Some of those LCDs and Plasmas have been running for years, 24x7 and are still going strong. Any industry takes awhile to mature.

Interesting conversation

I've got to say... I spent a ton of money on original equipment... and, RF modulation to a CRT through a comp cable sucks...

The first RGB modded 5200 I got proved that. I've got an RGB modded Coleco, too. So much nicer to just go right into the set and not deal with all that inferference and signal loss.

But... with THAT said...

On my 17" widescreen HP laptop, Stella or Atari800WinX playing Demon Attack looks GORGEOUS. The HP is a multimedia laptop, and it has a beautiful screen - and I've just never seen Demon Attack look better. The colors are super crisp, the graphics are sharp... It just can't be touched.

Then I didn't discover Xbox modding because I couldn't do that because it is illegal... but if I *had* done it, I would have found that with a nice digital stick, the Xbox emulation of the 2600, 5200 and 8 bit becomes a very viable and inexpensive alternative to buying the REAL stuff and cuttle carts and USB Multi Carts and all of that... and I might have felt a little regret at sinking so much money into original equipment when I can hardly tell the difference between it and the same stuff emulated on the Xbox. Sure glad I wasn't able to softMod the Xbox so that I never experienced THAT disappointment.

At one point, early on with emulation, I decided that there were two things, the interface (a REAL Atari stick, 2600 or 5200) and the video output (a genuine old school CRT TV) that made the experience...

Now, I've softened that perspective. Emulation has come so far, with things like the Pixels Past Atari USB deal (I forget the name now) - and Xbox emulation and softmodding and the wide variety of digital sticks available for it (plus the ability to easily hook up the Xbox to any kind of TV)... that you really DON'T need the original equipment to get the basic feeling.

If you collect for the nostalgia of the boxes and catalogs and art... that is one thing. An Xbox will never deliver that... PC emulation will never deliver that...

But game play... I've got a theory. If you hid everything else and had two CRTs with one playing real hardware and the other emulated, but the same stock controllers, 99.9% of retro collectors wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real original hardware and emulation.

Ultimately DJPubba is right... to each their own. If you prefer a CRT and don't see the value of modern tech, no sweat. Enjoy. But, I agree with him, on the right modern equipment, these games can look BETTER than they ever did on the stuff they were "designed" for.

Um... Plasma is a bad choice for gaming. It burns in super quick. LCD is a much better way to go. I've got a 42" LCD and Plasma.

Failure rates have improved dramatically, as well. Walk through any airport. Some of those LCDs and Plasmas have been running for years, 24x7 and are still going strong. Any industry takes awhile to mature.

I really don't care to talk about this anymore since it's rude to the topic starter and is completely off topic. As for depleting the supply of old systems, yeah i kinda doubt that will happen but if we all thought the same as djpubba, then it may just happen. Don't get me wrong, i think modifications are interesting but i just prefer to keep everything in original condition. Djpubba, i'm not arguing with you. Just pointing out the fact that i won't pay the prices they want for these tv's just to play games on, especially older games. Just doesn't seem natural in a classic game room. I want it to have that "older" look. Kinda like when you watch E.T. and you see the 2600 sitting on that older tv. I'd prefer a 60" or so in an lcd if i were to get one but it might be a couple years before i do. Seems like everybody is getting on around here just because their neighbor is getting one. Kinda funny. It's like they're "keeping up with the Jones'". Just curious tho, How did you modify the 5200 for s-video? Any pictures? Maybe in the future, i might buy a second 5200 just for that purpose. Which is easier to convert, 4 port or 2 port?

I really don't care to talk about this anymore since it's rude to the topic starter and is completely off topic.

Really? Because the amount that you wrote after this sentance seems to contradict this statement. Perhaps what you meant is, "I really don't care to hear alternative opinions about this anymore"...

:D

FWIW... I get your opinion about having a completely authentic look from an anachronistic perspective. I suppose it all goes with how far you want to take that... a basement with orange shag rug, cheap wood paneling, a rotary dial telephone and the Farrah Fawcett poster with her in a red one-piece in front of a striped beach towel.

post-8588-1229016605_thumb.jpg

If you *want* to go that far, I don't think anyone here is going to knock you for doing that...

But at the same time, I'm not knocking anyone who wants to do various things to UPDATE the classic/retro stuff to modern standards, either.

Also, FWIW, your 5200 system does evoke all kinds of nostalgia sitting in front of that 27" wood grain console CRT.

Edited by Paranoid

I really don't care to talk about this anymore since it's rude to the topic starter and is completely off topic.

Really? Because the amount that you wrote after this sentance seems to contradict this statement. Perhaps what you meant is, "I really don't care to hear alternative opinions about this anymore"...

:D

FWIW... I get your opinion about having a completely authentic look from an anachronistic perspective. I suppose it all goes with how far you want to take that... a basement with orange shag rug, cheap wood paneling, a rotary dial telephone and the Farrah Fawcett poster with her in a red one-piece in front of a striped beach towel.

If you *want* to go that far, I don't think anyone here is going to knock you for doing that...

But at the same time, I'm not knocking anyone who wants to do various things to UPDATE the classic/retro stuff to modern standards, either.

Also, FWIW, your 5200 system does evoke all kinds of nostalgia sitting in front of that 27" wood grain console CRT.

Thats all i'm trying to do. I'm not in to all that "new stuff". It's ok for other things. I didn't want to talk about it here anymore because it's off topic.

I would have let it go, but I found the Farrah poster and had to have an excuse to post it here. We can continue with our regularly scheduled conversation, now. :)

I mean, seriously... that picture evoked all kinds of nostaliga from around my 10th-12th brithdays that no number of sexy "5200 collection" posts could have done. And :thumbsup: to quoting my post completely, including the poster! :)

Edited by Paranoid

I would have let it go, but I found the Farrah poster and had to have an excuse to post it here. We can continue with our regularly scheduled conversation, now. :)

I mean, seriously... that picture evoked all kinds of nostaliga from around my 10th-12th brithdays that no number of sexy "5200 collection" posts could have done. And :thumbsup: to quoting my post completely, including the poster! :)

So i'm guessing you like my setup then. its still a work in progress tho.

Here is my setup, including my 5200 (U.S.-made, serial #141101, 4-port) and my KV-20S20 Trinitron I bought exclusively for it:

RayJackson-AtariWarrior.jpg

P.S.: I have owned that same 5200 unit since my 17th Birthday on 5/19/83, and the TV since last year.

I have almost every game put out for it from 1982-1987, except for Bounty Bob Strikes Back and Meteorites (had to sell them both to pay some bills while unemployed at the time). I hope to get new ones soon. I also own some hacks, protos, and homebrews as well, thanks mostly to AtariAge and AtariMax.

Edited by BIGHMW

Here is my setup, including my 5200 (U.S.-made, serial #141101, 4-port) and my KV-20S20 Trinitron I bought exclusively for it:

RayJackson-AtariWarrior.jpg

P.S.: I have owned that same 5200 unit since my 17th Birthday on 5/19/83, and the TV since last year.

I have almost every game put out for it from 1982-1987, except for Bounty Bob Strikes Back and Meteorites (had to sell them both to pay some bills while unemployed at the time). I hope to get new ones soon. I also own some hacks, protos, and homebrews as well, thanks mostly to AtariAge and AtariMax.

That's one damn nice setup there. Looks like you take care of your stuff.

Thanks dude. Much respect 2 ya.

I am always on the lookout for new homebrews (as long as I can afford them) and protos almost all the tme, now if only I could motivate myself to play my cartridges more than every once in a while. Extra kudos go out to Albert from right here at AtariAge, as well as CPUWIZ himself, and also to the folks at AtariMax for making my 25+-year-old 5200 still be worth it after all these years and all the competition it and other vintage gaming has faced over the decades.

Hey Albert, when will Redemption 5200 be available again? I own 2 for the 2600 controllers and 2 for 7800 controllers and for me it has been a godsend as now I can use both the Wico 5200 keypad and any 2600/7800-compatible digital joystick I want as opposed to the stock analog sticks. We also could use some new homebrews sometime soon. so please (Albert), reopen that great online store you had up until a few years back so we can continue to enjoy our great systems.

Edited by BIGHMW

As hot as Farrah Fawcett was back in the day, and she was, I must admit back in the late 70s/early 80s (when I was 13-15 years old at the time), I once had a crush on Pamela Hensley (Princess Ardala in the Buck Rogers TV series and also co-star on 240-Robert).

But now, I prefer my former classmate from high school in 1983-84, my hero and sole role model in the entertainment biz, as I am a musician (check out my BIGHMW Network of websites to see my history), Cindy Margolis.

Edited by BIGHMW

So where at in Texas?

Here is my collection... I stand my 5200 a bit differently and now it takes little desk space. Makes a good backdrop behind my laptop too. :D

Nice piccy Dr Clu...unless my eye's deceive me, isn't that an Atari 800 on the left side of the picture, if that is so, that is the first time i have seen a picture of an atari 800 and a 5200 in the same room

Edited by carmel_andrews

Gotta tip my hat to anyone who can stick with a system all those years and not lose it. :cool:

One question, how did you cope with the joysticks over the years? Did you learn how to fix them or is there a huge box in the attic full of all the dead joysticks you went through ;)

Gotta tip my hat to anyone who can stick with a system all those years and not lose it. :cool:

One question, how did you cope with the joysticks over the years? Did you learn how to fix them or is there a huge box in the attic full of all the dead joysticks you went through ;)

I actually took great care of all of my controllers, and also bought myself my fair share of Wico and other Atari (7800 sticks) and third-party gear (such as Redemption 5200 2600 and 7800 adapters, bought right here at AtariAge a few years back) to go with it. As for my attic, I really don't have one here, but I do have a garage, but you won't find any dead controllers in it, I wanted to make sure that my arsenal of contollers remained in good, somewhat-useable shape (at least).

BTW, if I ever did have a problem with any of my sticks, back in the day I always had my supply of electronics (i.e. analog TV tuner cleaner) cleaner to deal with it. That and some patience paid off for me, but I think the reason a controller of any kind would fail, is mainly because of a lack of use. I also have my fair share of 5200 controllers with some of them bought at the last minute in 1987 (at Adray's in L.A.) just days before I moved to the Great Northwest.

BIGHWM....can you tell me where you snagged that Atari TSHIRT from

Me want's one

I got it on eBay from a guy in Canada who was advertising it as a soon-to-be collector's item, in which it is, I only wore it for the photo you see on this thread. There are plenty of Atari t-shirts available on eBay, but I wanted to get this one because it was more colorful, long sleeved, and doesn't look like a mere throwback or knockoff of one.

Also, today anybody can wear an Atari T-shirt who didn't even own a syatem back in our glory days, but very few of us can actually say "we were there.... and still are", and have the proof to back it up, like all of us do.

Edited by BIGHMW