IGNORED

buy or trade: Opera DS (for original DS)

jdrew

I would like to buy or trade for a copy of Opera DS for the non-lite DS.

I want to try using a DS for a project at work, and the web interface seems like the lowest barrier to entry. But it turns out that the non-lite version of Opera was only (and is no longer) sold by Nintendo online. I don't want to pay $50 to Play Asia for a work idea that may not pan out. I've already spent $100 of my own. If I had a work budget, I'd just spend it, but this is an under-the-radar project that I'll only announce if it is successful. :)

Anyway... I have some tradebait, but I don't have it in a ready-to-paste list. If you have a copy of Opera DS you might part with, post a reply and I'll get a trade list together. I'm not expecting anyone who has a copy of non-lite Opera DS to part with it so... I'm not bothering with the list just yet.

I'd also be interested in borrowing a copy of Opera DS for a month (my reputation is low-volume, but good) OR I'd be interested in any information about which homebrew devices would be amenable to my goal of getting the DS to wirelessly communicate with some custom hardware and software. I can program fine,... I just don't know the first thing about DS homebrew.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
I would like to buy or trade for a copy of Opera DS for the non-lite DS.

I want to try using a DS for a project at work, and the web interface seems like the lowest barrier to entry. But it turns out that the non-lite version of Opera was only (and is no longer) sold by Nintendo online. I don't want to pay $50 to Play Asia for a work idea that may not pan out. I've already spent $100 of my own. If I had a work budget, I'd just spend it, but this is an under-the-radar project that I'll only announce if it is successful. :)

Anyway... I have some tradebait, but I don't have it in a ready-to-paste list. If you have a copy of Opera DS you might part with, post a reply and I'll get a trade list together. I'm not expecting anyone who has a copy of non-lite Opera DS to part with it so... I'm not bothering with the list just yet.

I'd also be interested in borrowing a copy of Opera DS for a month (my reputation is low-volume, but good) OR I'd be interested in any information about which homebrew devices would be amenable to my goal of getting the DS to wirelessly communicate with some custom hardware and software. I can program fine,... I just don't know the first thing about DS homebrew.

Thanks in advance.

I would just like to save you some money right now. Anything you plan on doing with the Opera browser on the DS is going to be a big disappointment. It's slow and clunky. The DS is not really fast enough cpu wise and the wifi speed (at best conditions) is slow, it all adds up to a nightmare to use. the Opera browser takes so long to check my email on yahoo for example, that to be honest it's just not worth it. I mean we are talking about a level of frustration and slowness that I havent felt since the days of downloading at 300 baud with xmodem or loading long programs into a Atari 400 by cassette only to have them stop half way....

Homebrew would be a better bet and there is a browser that uses a small server proggy on the PC to render and then send pages to your DS (this works from whereever you are connected to the internet as long as the server is running on some pc somewhere). That is probably the only viable solution for a DS browser. I can't speak from experience since I use a MAc mostly and dont have a computer to keep the server running on. I have used DS linux however and it works well. The browsers included (mostly text based) are faster but they are limited in functionality and buggy.

As far as programming on a DS get a flashcard (you can pick up a top toy cheap or Acekard same thing really) and then get either a Supercard SD/SD mini or EZ flash 3-1. You need the other slot 2 card to use as memory expansion. Now download DS Linux (or the opera browser for that matter) and you should be able to see where to go from there.