IGNORED

Did you love the first game you got for your 2600?

Godzilla

Wow.

I really can't remember what my first game was. It must have been Combat. And, yeah, it was never my favorite.

I LIKED Combat when I got it but I didn't have anyone to play it with so that really took the fun out of the game.

All games should have a one player option.

Wp

I got mine (7800) used about a month ago, with 10 games (8 were 7800 games), so I didn't really have a first game. My first two games were asteroids and battlezone. Battlezone is fun, but I've played asteroids a lot more so far. And I've played both of them more than any of the 7800 games...

Wow.

I really can't remember what my first game was. It must have been Combat. And, yeah, it was never my favorite.

I LIKED Combat when I got it but I didn't have anyone to play it with so that really took the fun out of the game.

Wp

Yeah, even Odyssey 2's pack in game had 1 player variations, I don't know what was up with Combat being the pack in. I think Starship should have been the pack in out of the initial 2600 releases. Either that or Air Sea Battle. The cool thing about some Odyssey 2 games was that you could even watch the computer play itself. Showdown in 2100 AD was one of those that the computer would take the role of W.O.P.R. and blow itself away.

Wow.

Wp

Yeah, even Odyssey 2's pack in game had 1 player variations, I don't know what was up with Combat being the pack in. I think Starship should have been the pack in out of the initial 2600 releases. Either that or Air Sea Battle. The cool thing about some Odyssey 2 games was that you could even watch the computer play itself. Showdown in 2100 AD was one of those that the computer would take the role of W.O.P.R. and blow itself away.

Back in the early days, video games were mostly two player games (Space War, Pong). Even though many of those stand-alone TV tennis games back in the 70's has a one-player mode, the two-player games were always much more fun.

Also, Nolan Bushnell has said on several occasions how he always hoped the games would foster more interaction between people, and was disappointed in how so many people got "locked in" to playing a particular game by themselves over and over. He even opened up a little video arcade bar based on the concept of two-player games (Gilbert Zapps, in Campbell, California) with many video games and pinball machines, but also lots of non-electronic multi-player games: darts, pool, chess, checkers, backgammon, and even one of those carnival-like games where you balance a large ball bearing between two steel rods trying to make the ball roll down to the other end. Every game also had a cup holder attached to the side to hold your beer (or whatever). I suspect his recent nightclub venture in southern California was possibly inspired by the same concept.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the pack-in was a two-player game.