IGNORED

Is there an editor you guys use for making Atari games?

Jet

Any text editor works -- I've used Notepad (not good idea, it has filesize restrictions I found) and now WordPad which works fine for me. Others have recommend more robust editors. And its all 6502 Assembly language, not C. You must use an assembler such as DASM (run it under a DOS window) to assemble your text file that was made in WordPad.

I also use MS-DOS Edit.

I quicky become frustrated with Windows editors because I don't have the same freedom of movement as I've come to expect with MS-DOS Edit. I don't want it to second guess me. For example, if I push the up arrow, it will go up to the same column even if the last character on the line was way to the left. If I wanted the last word I'd push Ctrl-Left after pushing up :) Other things I like about it: has handy ways to insert control characters (when needed), doesn't use tabs (makes them spaces instead), file size isn't a problem, doesn't change my file extensions, lets me choose what colors I want for the editing window, and of course uses a fixed width font automatically. You can also have multiple files and split the view, but this could use improvement. Maybe someone should write a Windows editor.. make the editing interface just like MS-DOS Edit (all the keys, etc), but improve the multiple file ability by having tabs at the bottom for the different files that are open). Having it inside Windows would also make it better at copy/paste from other apps. It would also be cool to have color profiles where keywords / chars / elements would turn certain colors (the mode would be activated by keypress, NOT by file extension). This would be my dream Windows editor.

calamari

I use VisualSlickEdit and ATASM 1.02 on an XP box.

Envision is nice for Atari character set editing.  I use Atari800win and VSS for test/debug on the PC...

And yes, it's generally all assembly language for games.

-Clay

Thanks Clay! This is perfect!

Thanks to everyone for your input! This is great stuff! Its great to be

around fellow game designers! If you want to see some of the stuff

I made you can get it off my site on the games page.

Do you guys have any samples I can see?

always,

Jet~ ;)

I've been trying some different editors because I really hate Visual Studio .NET and I'm not doing as much M$ programming as I used to. There are a couple free ones that aren't bad so far. Try out Jext. It's written in Java so it will run on anything, but you probably won't want to use it on an older machine.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I just tried out Textpad and it's pretty good but there's one glitch that's driving me nuts, that I think is a bug. When you use the page up/down buttons to scroll the cursor doesn't move. Supposedly this is correct behavior with "Scroll Lock" on, but on my machine it's off (and I tried it both ways, the app always behaves this way).

I'm using Texpad 4.5 on XP Professional.

Eric

I'm using Texpad 4.5 on XP Professional.

I'm using the same version on Win95a and it works like it should. Might be a problem with XP.

Hmm, might be XP or laptop keyboard wierdness. It occurs to me that I don't actually have a scroll lock light anywhere so it's hard to tell the state. Apparently when I hit Alt-Scroll that seems to do the trick.

I wonder if there is a BIOS setting or something to turn scroll lock off by default...otherwise I may have to write a program to autorun.

Eric

I use Codewright whenever possible, but its an expensive product so for home projects I've started to use Code Genie - a truly awesome editor for any file type:

http://www.code-genie.com/

I use it with XASM for 8bit/5200 work:

http://atariarea.nostalgia.pl/x-asm/

Where it creates a great intregrated tool with XASM!

sTeVE