IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

what about it Irgendwer?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have to regret. In the moment I'm working on three different A8 projects and I have really no time left to produce anything else in my spare time.

Additionally I don't think that this 'contests' would make much sense: It's very easy to produce something on the A8 which isn't reproduceable on the C64 and vice versa. (For the same reason we have games that are better on C64 and vice versa too.)

I think we all know the restrictions of our machines and are able to enjoy efforts on the others.

Vive la différence!

I know I'm lazy and don't have the time to finish it. Here a 10 min. work in G2F...

well thanks for that.

but if u re read my post u will see that u have just proved my point, when i said that picture couldnt actually be DRAWN BY AN ARTIST in native atari format WITHOUT the help of "wiring" from another format.

2 mins in photoshop indexed colour mode and a 64 palette:

gemx01.gif

i can do it too.

but this one COULD be drawn on a native 64 format.

Steve

The picture looks a bit better. but the "shit" is still there and the "white" now doesn't look like a lightning effect as it was supposed to be.

yep i agree the white highlight is too striking now. and if i was drawing it i would fade it to light grey then pink.

BUT i can still draw it on a 64. which is more than u could do with your version on an a8.

but see above if u fancy having a go?????

Steve

well, I also could draw better results in Photoshop.

Additionally I don't think that this 'contests' would make much sense: It's very easy to produce something on the A8 which isn't reproduceable on the C64 and vice versa. (For the same reason we have games that are better on C64 and vice versa too.)

I think we all know the restrictions of our machines and are able to enjoy efforts on the others.

Vive la différence!

Sounds like "Vive la Chicken" to me.. You've got time to argue in here about it, but no time to prove what actually can/can't be done....

I think the Commodore guys are winning here.. (at least in the BALLS department)..

• Like 1

ok... something completly different as nobody seems to compare Zeppelin & Fort on both machines...

TMR good articles again in latest Retro Gamer mag... how the hell can you give a speccy game so much credit... ;) and have you realised that 30-40% of the games you are mentioning are A8 games? ;)

ps. and have you realised that you credit 30-40% A8 games... in this issue again Yoomp & Abbuc... ;) cool

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Sounds like "Vive la Chicken" to me.. You've got time to argue in here about it, but no time to prove what actually can/can't be done....

I think the Commodore guys are winning here.. (at least in the BALLS department)..

Arguing takes place in the breaks. What do you like to have? New games like 'Eckn' or reproductions of C64 artwork?

Edit: Unbelievable that I defended my attendance here. Got the message - back to work. :ponder:

Edited by Irgendwer

Actually, if you just want to have one single contest, and thus one comparisson, why not try to copy a famous AMIGA demo.. (or get as close to it as possible). That C=64 Kefrens Desert Dream remake was awesome..

Pick some demo that everyone likes, and try to create a remake on both platforms.. whoever gets closest to the original wins..

So Atari handles more colours on screen or just different shades of the same colour ? And what about the remaining games river raid, spy hunter etc. ?

Why don't you just try them out? You must had have a deep look into your 44 titles to come to your conclusions ;) , so why don't you test these? If there are better on the C64 you can put them away from 'my' list and drop them on yours?! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

Holy f..k :!: I guess you never heard about rhetorical question. :D Everyone who has ever played games on both computers, knows that your list is comical. It should be cut to about half its length: Archon, Blue Max, M.U.L.E, Pitfal II, River Raid, Seven Cities of Gold, Stealth, Road Race, Zenji, O'Riley's Mine, Mr.Robot, Oils Well, Spy Hunter (this one is especially comical), Crystal Castles, Rally Speedway (another comical), Star wars (which one exactly ?), Pastfinder, Donkey Kong - all these games are practically identical on C64, of course if we don't count colour tone LOL :D So could you please stop dreaming and do something that makes any sense. What about your Lemon percentage comparisons ? Are you going to do this properly, according to your own rule ? If you can't, just say it, instead of being evasive. Just to remind: "For every title you can find, there is an other C64 title with a higher 'Lemon-rating' where the Atari version is even better." but you know, without comical examples like Blue Max or Spy Hunter etc. I'm still waiting. :D

46 - YOGI'S GREAT ESCAPE

post-24409-125573039758_thumb.png

C64

post-24409-125573043374_thumb.png

C64

The C64 version has better graphics, sprites, and more colours (not colour tone :D ). The Atari version has ugly graphics and sprites in low-res, less colours and the playing area is smaller. :D C64 wins easily again. :cool:

post-24409-125573050235_thumb.png

ATARI

post-24409-125573054327_thumb.gif

ATARI

And now, I'm waiting for another portion of lunatic comments about the superiority of the low-res graphics. :D

Edited by Rockford
  • Like 1

Not that I want to flame you, but to me this just sounds like double standards. When somewhere in this thread someone says something postive for C64 or something negative for A8 I don't hear you. But when it's the other way around, here comes TMR.

Underline those sentences. I guess it's just too much to expect any impartiality from the few Commodore users who feel strongly enough to come here to argue. (As I've mentioned before, the many sensible C64 enthusiasts are busy enjoying thier machines and posting constructive, original thoughts in C64 forums where these guys can't find an audience and wouldn't be taken seriously.) One must question the psychology that motivates the ridiculous behavior of these bad actors. They think that somehow relentlessly arguing for the C64 (a creation they had absolutely nothing to do with) can, in some delusional fantasy, stroke their egos. They have some ludicrous notion that they are somehow related to the C64 and can attribute credit and personal validation to themselves through it. Boasting and blowing-off about its success is, in some distorted and wholeheartedly fallacious way, a method of feeling good. There's a duality of their situation, with it being both sad and laughable at the same time Please forgive me if I choose the latter - HA HA HA! :) :) To acknowledge any Atari stregth or any C64 weakness would make their misguided egos go limp. Hence the one-sidedness. Stroke away at those egos, boys; you'll never be taken seriously here, either. By virtue of the fact that you are here, you have a problem.

So "C64rs" are not allowed to answer to some claim against their beloved machine, when in their opinion it is not true ?

And maybe their opinion is based on much more time spent using C64, playing games, programming, and reading docs about it, then any A8 only guys here...

Maybe, just maybe they really know what they are talking about ?

For whatever reason they are here they show some interest in Atari and could be a positive people... Just give them a chance....

Absolutely! SOME of the C64 users here (and everywhere) make fantastic contributions to the discussion. It's the few that childishly "troll" that - as I have pointed out before - unfortunately misrepresent the C64 and the majority of users....and serve only as irritant.

And I do think Rockford could post a few posts in some other topics - this way it really seems he is on a personal crusade ;)

It would be surprising to see a post from him that was in some context other than controversy. Very suprising. However, just as I never saw Oswald, Frohn, or Wolfram post anything but anti-Atari flames, it is a dubious prospect. I wonder how many of those names are really the same person. At any rate, it would seem these people are in desperate need of SOMETHING in their lives to pride themselves on, and think being a nuisance in one antique 8-bit forum advocating another antique 8-bit computer (not their achievement, mind you) is a solution.

I came to atariage few years ago because I took my 800xl out of the box and plugged it in to remember good old times... Then I wanted to see how good it is... Wanted to try to develop something for it. And somehow found Atariage while searching for software sprite routine (It was Heaven/TQA's Beyond Evil thread :) ). And I stayed.... lot of good info, people who like to help... No amount of "fallacious", "hater", "bias" or "Stroke" will make me leave AtariAge. I love my atari and I love my C64. If anyone wants a good and productive discussion about any of them I'll be here.

Well-put. Found Atari Age after I decided to "get back into" real hardware, after playing with emulators. Pleasantly surprised. Found Lemon64 and the Denial Vic-20 community under similar circumstances. What on Earth it would take to motivate me to go to those forums to flame against the enthusiasts there.....I can't tell you, as I couldn't POSSIBLY fathom doing it. The flamers certainly could stand some thorazine.

It would be surprising to see a post from him that was in some context other than controversy. Very suprising. However, just as I never saw Oswald, Frohn, or Wolfram post anything but anti-Atari flames, it is a dubious prospect. I wonder how many of those names are really the same person. At any rate, it would seem these people are in desperate need of SOMETHING in their lives to pride themselves on, and think being a nuisance in one antique 8-bit forum advocating another antique 8-bit computer (not their achievement, mind you) is a solution.

What a "deep psychological" analysis, I've never learnt so much about myself. Heck, It even turned out that I have a triple personality. BTW, can you also foretell the future ? If so, I'd have some questions to you. :D There is already one atarian who has super powers, you know he can read people's mind ;)

Edited by Rockford

Wow, just this thread alone makes me not want to come back to this site anymore. I'm sick of this bullshit. It's commendable that each and every one of you still hold on to your passion and conviction all this years later. But enough is enough. You sound like a bunch of wives arguing over who's husband has the biggest cock--when in the end--they're all getting laid.

• Like 1

Pick some demo that everyone likes

my vote -

or the Lost Boy's Conversion for the ST.

I'd rather see a game converted since that's what this whole thread is about (and we could play it when it's over).

Wow, just this thread alone makes me not want to come back to this site anymore. I'm sick of this bullshit. It's commendable that each and every one of you still hold on to your passion and conviction all this years later. But enough is enough. You sound like a bunch of wives arguing over who's husband has the biggest cock--when in the end--they're all getting laid.

I'll make sure my wife doesn't join AtariAge just to keep it fair for everyone else. :cool:

What a "deep psychological" analysis, I've never learnt so much about myself. Heck, It even turned out that I have a triple personality. BTW, can you also foretell the future ? If so, I'd have some questions to you. :D There is already one atarian who has super powers, you know he can read people's mind ;)

Touble is, it's not the psychoanalysis that's deep....it's the bulls*it that trolling flamers have this forum mired in :) After all, anybody who engages in such childish behavior as taunting Atari enthusiasts in their forum is too shallow for a "deep" psychoanalyis. See if one of your 3 personalities can be reasonable and bring it to the forefront. My ability to foretell the future is quite limited, however I foretell that you will continue to troll and annoy Atari enthusiasts. There's a perfect opportunity for you to stop and/or leave, but somehow I suspect you'll prove this future-telling to be accurate. :D :D :D

Why don't you post something worthwile in another thread - actually make a contribution? See if you can muster the Cojones to answer this question: DO YOU HAVE EVEN ONE POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO MAKE TO THIS SITE AT ALL? Let me answer that question with another fortune-telling: "I think not." :roll:

• Like 1

Uh, I'd say it's very similar to what you describe, except that none of them are getting laid. ;)

• Like 1

Pick some demo that everyone likes

my vote -

or the Lost Boy's Conversion for the ST.

I'd rather see a game converted since that's what this whole thread is about (and we could play it when it's over).

I guess I just missed out on a lot of the demo scene. I like the old demos where they just did the graphics and didn't have to bray on-and-on in a scroll. I'm thinking back to the beginning demos like the original Amiga "Boink" and the Atari-8 conversion of it, then the "Fujiboink" demo, the robot/spaceship demo (A8). Let's see a "C= boink" or robot/spaceship demo done on the 64 to compare.

I'll make sure my wife doesn't join AtariAge just to keep it fair for everyone else. :cool:

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while. :)

All of you who are complaining about the content of this thread (and/or the actions of it's participants) need to READ THE TITLE of the thread again.

And if it's not something you like, NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO READ IT.

The Commodore Guys have every right to be here, and every right to state their opinions, whether they meet with your approval or not. This is not an ass-kissing competition. These guys are stating (and mostly debating very effectively) their opinions and knowledge concerning the difference in capabilities between both platforms.. I'm sure they are REALLY SORRY that it rubs you the wrong way.. We have very effective Admins on this board, and if this thread had truly escalated to anything inappropriate, they would have locked it down about 400 pages ago.. The closest thing I've seen to that so far is the "cock-size comparison" analogy that recently came from the "Atari camp". Remarks like this are truly off-topic, inappropriate, lewd, and completely unnecessary.

Once again.. LOOK AT THE TITLE/TOPIC OF THE THREAD...

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...

Some of us consider this a worthwhile exercise and learning experience..

• Like 2

Touble is, it's not the psychoanalysis that's deep....it's the bulls*it that trolling flamers have this forum mired in :) After all, anybody who engages in such childish behavior as taunting Atari enthusiasts in their forum is too shallow for a "deep" psychoanalyis. See if one of your 3 personalities can be reasonable and bring it to the forefront. My ability to foretell the future is quite limited, however I foretell that you will continue to troll and annoy Atari enthusiasts. There's a perfect opportunity for you to stop and/or leave, but somehow I suspect you'll prove this future-telling to be accurate. :D :D :D

Why don't you post something worthwile in another thread - actually make a contribution? See if you can muster the Cojones to answer this question: DO YOU HAVE EVEN ONE POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION TO MAKE TO THIS SITE AT ALL? Let me answer that question with another fortune-telling: "I think not." :roll:

Well Said and accurate! :D

All of you who are complaining about the content of this thread (and/or the actions of it's participants) need to READ THE TITLE of the thread again.

And if it's not something you like, NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO READ IT.

The Commodore Guys have every right to be here, and every right to state their opinions, whether they meet with your approval or not. This is not an ass-kissing competition. These guys are stating (and mostly debating very effectively) their opinions and knowledge concerning the difference in capabilities between both platforms.. I'm sure they are REALLY SORRY that it rubs you the wrong way.. We have very effective Admins on this board, and if this thread had truly escalated to anything inappropriate, they would have locked it down about 400 pages ago.. The closest thing I've seen to that so far is the "cock-size comparison" analogy that recently came from the "Atari camp". Remarks like this are truly off-topic, inappropriate, lewd, and completely unnecessary.

Once again.. LOOK AT THE TITLE/TOPIC OF THE THREAD...

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...

Some of us consider this a worthwhile exercise and learning experience..

Gotta say that your are wrong, those c64;er, (two specific ones) are spending all their time just stiring the pot, not other usful thing contributed,just stiring things up for entertainment. With the others sure there is some bias but also some useful things.

As a likelong Atari person having to put up with the crap from these two is nuts,not suprising the atari guys retailiate!

So Atari handles more colours on screen or just different shades of the same colour ? And what about the remaining games river raid, spy hunter etc. ?

Why don't you just try them out? You must had have a deep look into your 44 titles to come to your conclusions ;) , so why don't you test these? If there are better on the C64 you can put them away from 'my' list and drop them on yours?! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

Holy f..k :!: I guess you never heard about rhetorical question. :D Everyone who has ever played games on both computers, knows that your list is comical. It should be cut to about half its length: Archon, Blue Max, M.U.L.E, Pitfal II, River Raid, Seven Cities of Gold, Stealth, Road Race, Zenji, O'Riley's Mine, Mr.Robot, Oils Well, Spy Hunter (this one is especially comical), Crystal Castles, Rally Speedway (another comical), Star wars (which one exactly ?), Pastfinder, Donkey Kong - all these games are practically identical on C64, of course if we don't count colour tone LOL :D So could you please stop dreaming and do something that makes any sense. What about your Lemon percentage comparisons ? Are you going to do this properly, according to your own rule ? If you can't, just say it, instead of being evasive. Just to remind: "For every title you can find, there is an other C64 title with a higher 'Lemon-rating' where the Atari version is even better." but you know, without comical examples like Blue Max or Spy Hunter etc. I'm still waiting. :D

Nice language.. figures..

You have been show on many occasions in this thread and still wheedle and minimize when the A8 obviously wins, then post stuff showing c64 losing and say"c64 Wins". Pretty funny stuff :D

Edited by atarian63

Gotta say that your are wrong, those c64;er, (two specific ones) are spending all their time just stiring the pot, not other usful thing contributed,just stiring things up for entertainment. With the others sure there is some bias but also some useful things.

As a likelong Atari person having to put up with the crap from these two is nuts,not suprising the atari guys retailiate!

Once again... Who forces you to read it?

In my opinion, their posts are interesting, very pertanent to the topic of the thread, and even educational..

What's annoying as hell is all these people (like yourself) that are trying to turn the thread into some kind of moral debate...

Personally, I am an ATARI 8-bit guy.. I prefer it (as Ive already stated).. It does not bother me the slightest bit to find out that the atari is graphically inferior to the C=64.. In fact, its interesting as hell.. and nothing brings out the fine points in a discussion like a good debate.. and as far indepth as these guys want to go (you see it as "stirring the pot") and as many examples as they want to discuss (you probably see them as redundant), I am really enjoying every bit of it..

So please.. if you don't like it, go whine somewhere else.. noone is forcing you to read this thread..

once again

NOONE IS FORCING YOU TO READ THIS THREAD

but unless you're going to actually contribute to the on-topic discussion, we could all do without your whining..

• Like 2

I'm still waiting. :D

Your fault. It's all in this thread . (Like 'Blue Max' uses overscan, 'River Raid' utilizes more colours and has no 'radioactive-waste-coastline' etc.)

Where is the fourth level in C64 'Donkey Kong'?

Verify your statements - and count the colours!

And here for you C64 huge tree mushroom Spy Hunter & flames loose their outline on ladders Mr. Robot....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

C64:

spy_hunter_02.gif

mr_robot_02.gif

Atari:

spy_hunter_sega_2.gif

mr_robot_datamost_3.gif

For your new 'Yogi' entry: 'Henry's House' wasn't on my list.