IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

The 60 sprites demo is nice - is there an ATR of it?

I'm guessing it's very unrolled - as I haven't seen many 60 sprite games :)

Yes it is unrolled. Here's the executable.

Thanks :) It looks good - I've not unrolled code anywhere near enough on Pacman yet ( it hasn't dropped out of a 60hz frame yet )

Oswald... why are you not simply fireing up and load the game??? ;)

Koronis Rift 3d engine is based on mode10... so used ingame... the ingame panel is mode9 with sprite overlays for the modules...missles are used for the shield indicators at the left/right screen edges...

the enemies are softsprites in mode10, too...

and Slot Machine:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=4730

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Meaning - not important how exactly - what defines the importance of a graphic mode for heaven's sake!?!?!

Underused - surely, that is true...

sTeVE

BTW I LOVED that Slot Machine game back in the day - the crisp and clean visual design is soooo nice...

Edited by Jetboot Jack

so, overall about 10 games use those modes for ingame stuf. doesnt looks like a very important mode.

There are many more, but it's not easy to say, since it may be used for improvement of small segments of the screen only.

It's to easy to mix modes on the A8... ;)

Nearly all given samples use this mode only partially, which makes sense: I wouldn't do the score display in this mode either...

Another sample:

Astrogrover

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...;VERSION_ID=362

Anyhow, I agree that it is not often in use for main screen areas - unfortunately - it think it's underestimated - especially in char mode.

CU

Irgendwer

so, overall about 10 games use those modes for ingame stuf. doesnt looks like a very important mode.

There are many more, but it's not easy to say, since it may be used for improvement of small segments of the screen only.

It's to easy to mix modes on the A8... ;)

I was asking for ingame uses. and its easy to mix modes on any 8bit machine... which has modes at all. you just change a register at the right moment... ;) how hard is that ?

holy shit there's even char mode of this widepixel stuff ? :)

lol, you remind me the old days of chained questions of C64 users. :) :)

Just one good example is enough, and there are at least 30 games with this mode on ingame screen.

I'm curious, how do you test Atari games:

0- I do nothing for testing

1- I imagine how could be

2- I look screenshots

3- I read commentaries about this game version

4- I test on an Atari emulator

5- I test on a real Atari machine

6- I finished the games on emulator or real machine

Edited by Allas

GTIA modes were not well understood and very underused in the 80s.

Part of it was probably the fear of alienating CTIA users. But I think the truth there is that there are hardly any of them anyway.

AFAIK, there was never a PAL CTIA made. And, OS Revision A was quickly replaced by Rev B, and I'd guess that anyone bothering to have that fix done would have opted to get a GTIA put in as well.

Elektraglide only uses GTIA for the dashboard graphics.

what defines the underusedness of a graphic mode for heaven's sake!?!?!

(it was underused for a reason... take a guess)

For many cases it is not obvious to use this mode, but it has it advantages.

Like said in an other thread, I think Mode 10 would be appropriate/better for 'Mule Wars', but it is not obvious.

Many A8 beginners (like you) didn't know that char modes and GTIA modes are mixable, since there is no Basic equivalent 'graphics'-mode - so it's a little bit out of sight.

Mode 11:

Ultra Tetris

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=5604

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

holy shit there's even char mode of this widepixel stuff ? :)

You can turn on GTIA modes at any time, and the GTIA will simply interpret the data stream from Antic as 4-bit clusters and apply the coloring you've selected. Doesn't really matter what mode is specified in the display list.

So it can be used with character modes or not.

Just one good example is enough, and there are at least 30 games with this mode on ingame screen.

so 30 vs a few thousands, or ten thousand ? all that silicon space could have been used to make a true 16 color mode fex. using 4 pixel wide pixels with 16 color registers.

I'm curious, how do you test Atari games:

I dont. I dont write reviews either where always the c64 wins because the "gfx feels better" or because "the colors feel better" or because the "sound feels better" or the "playabality feels better", nor do I write "gfx is almost the same,this sprite is nicer on a8, that sprite is nicer on c64 so overall the a8 is better" ;)

1:30

7:25

0:35 (not bad from a slower machine eh) and at 3:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhcKNc99Js

Really, I like the "edge of disgrace" demo. But I do not see what I was asking for.

you could have just asked for a screen showing only 1 color which is the same as on the a8. doesnt makes much sense.

Actually I asked for a "5sec" demonstration where 48 colours projcecting a lightsource.... the black background and the 3 colours of the PM Bulb not included.

Oswald,

Un-important and Underused - there are differences - allow me to elucidate:

Unimportant - not important; petty.

Underused - not fully used : having more potential than is currently being realized or utilized

(from the regular dictionary before you question the voracity of my statement again)

So I ask again - how on earth can a graphic mode be Petty???

sTeVE

Many A8 beginners (like you) didn't know that char modes and GTIA modes are mixable, since there is no Basic equivalent 'graphics'-mode - so it's a little bit out of sight.

hmm so its not wasting silicon as I wrote in my previous post. really strange tho why miner choosed to go this way instead of attribute memory. might have felt like a good idea back then. which machine was the first with color-cell stuff ?

1:30

7:25

0:35 (not bad from a slower machine eh) and at 3:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhcKNc99Js

Really, I like the "edge of disgrace" demo. But I do not see what I was asking for.

you could have just asked for a screen showing only 1 color which is the same as on the a8. doesnt makes much sense.

Actually I asked for a "5sec" demonstration where 48 colours projcecting a lightsource.... the black background and the 3 colours of the PM Bulb not included.

sure, you can ask me showing a c64 demo which does what the c64 can not (48 colors) . I could similarly ask you showing me an a8 demo moving 120 sprites at 50fps. none of them makes sense.