IGNORED

eBay Traffic Plummeting

phaxda

Yeah I like Chuck Wagon, can usually find pretty good deals on jag games. Just got a loose Theme Park for cheap there. But I see what everyones saying in that ebay is more mainstream and as soon as the chuck wagon becomes too big ebay will probably just buy it out. :( Oh well it will be good while it lasts I guess.

Oh, yea of little faith. The Chuck is not selling out, in fact we are starting an auction site for everything else as well. News is forth coming :)

Yeah, yeah, eBay sucks.... but where else are you gonna go?

Where I live, forget Goodwill-type stores or pawn shops: they've been cleaned out for years.

The ads in Craigslist or Kijiji are for PS2s and Xboxs; I almost never see anything more than a generation old. Chase the Chuck Wagon? Great to have some competition for eBay, but the fact is that eBay has thousands of more items.

If I'm looking for something rare or old, eBay is the only option.

Well firstly there would be more items if sellers actually listed them. ;) Secondly (is that a word?)

I am really excited to announce...

Ask and yee shall receive!!! - http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/upload...hread.php?t=887

And for those who don't feel like clicking the link... :P

Big Surprise Coming

To commemorate ChaseTheChuckwagon.com hitting 1,500 members and achieving $50,000 in sales I have some big news on the horizon

Vendoogle.com

'Search, Discover, Reclaim'

Yep, lots have been asking for it. Auctions for everything else! Details and site launch forthcoming.

Still working out the details, but at the very least, they will be two seperate sites that members can migrate between using the same user ID (I hope). If someone registers in one, they are registered in both.

If you are set up with a Free Seller Membership, it will carry over to the new site in that regard. The only thing I am not sure about is the billing may be split up in both sites which is really no big deal. With proper instructions it should be pretty simple.

It will look similar to this site but with a Green color scheme, and we won't have forums for it - just to broad. There will be a video gaming category but it will just open the Chuckwagon up in a new screen.

I am hoping the site is live within a week. Once finished I will send out member wide email announcing the news. I am hoping lots of our members will now refer other people they know, who aren't into video games about the site. It will have the same low cost fee structure.

I hope with the members we have we can kick start this one a bit faster than the Chuckwagon.

And, the Chuckwagon will be trimmed back to only gaming related items. Toys, musics, movies, comics, etc will be moved to the new site.

So, there ya go. 'Game on!' as the expression goes! :D

As soon as I get the green light, I'll be setting up auctions for baby stuff, books, kids tapes and some jewelry at least. I have a pretty extensive collection of a ton of stuff much of it collectible so it will take some time to go through. I am really doing a happy dance and no I'm not posting a vid or pics. ;)

I know that besides me Pats1717 will be listing. Rick has also said and I quote "I'm sure i can find a couple hundred of things to throw up on your new site." Nathanallan has also said he's got some stuff to list and Mikeebb87 has said he'll be posting 20-30 jerseys. I know theer are others who will be cleaning house as well.

I also know we all have clothes and gifts we've gotten that aren't quite our thing that we can't exactly return, have movies we're done watching, and all kinds of odds and ends lying around that well, we really don't need and someone has been on our case to get rid of.

So, now we will have somewhere besides Ebay that not only will still have a smaller community feel but also grow with leapes and bounds like CTCW has.

This is definitely a very exciting time for the "chuckwagon family" and Mike has been working really hard to get this going and deserves a lot of credit for taking the risks that many of us have talked about wanting for a long time but haven't done ourselves. We really are the ones who are going to benefit besides him and I know I'll be supporting both sites as best as I can! :D

As soon as I get more details I will pass down the info and update everyone so please look for a new auction site thread coming very soon! This means a lot to me as does CTCW so I really can't wait!

Why start out with a new name that nobody knows? Why not just expand the Chuckwagon? Now is the perfect time to do this all right. Maybe in a few years the Chuckwagon will buy what's left of ebay. :)

Good question, but I really want the Chuckwagon to be only video games - to keep out the clutter of everything else, if you know what I mean. It's a hobby close to my heart and I think a special dedicated place to buy and sell is what everyone would prefer. In fact, the Chuckwagon will be moving the toys, games, music and movies, comics to Vendoogle.com. The two sites will be linked together in some way, so both should share members between each other.

And one more reason, I had people questioning my name Chase The Chuckwagon in the video gaming community, trying to market this name to the general non-gaming public would be a real challenge :)

Why start out with a new name that nobody knows? Why not just expand the Chuckwagon? Now is the perfect time to do this all right. Maybe in a few years the Chuckwagon will buy what's left of ebay. :)

Good question, but I really want the Chuckwagon to be only video games - to keep out the clutter of everything else, if you know what I mean. It's a hobby close to my heart and I think a special dedicated place to buy and sell is what everyone would prefer. In fact, the Chuckwagon will be moving the toys, games, music and movies, comics to Vendoogle.com. The two sites will be linked together in some way, so both should share members between each other.

And one more reason, I had people questioning my name Chase The Chuckwagon in the video gaming community, trying to market this name to the general non-gaming public would be a real challenge :)

What are the odds you might wind up in trouble because of the name? I'm sure the phrase isn't copyrighted, but any chance Purina or whomever marketed the original might give you crap? I still can't get over how Atari gave the author of Adventure 2 such BS. Adventure is a common word. WTF?

What are the odds you might wind up in trouble because of the name? I'm sure the phrase isn't copyrighted, but any chance Purina or whomever marketed the original might give you crap? I still can't get over how Atari gave the author of Adventure 2 such BS. Adventure is a common word. WTF?

I think its ok. I mean, it was only the name of their video game-- not a company slogan or anything. The Chuckwagon is pretty obscure now, but if it gets huge, they may want to discuss it, but I seriously doubt it :)

Never mind that, "Vendoogle" is such an obvious play off "Google" that I'm sure you can expect a busload of lawyers to land squarely in your lap if you pursue it. Save yourself the grief and think of a different (and better) name.

It isn't close enough and it is not trying to copy what google does. Or to make money off there name.

Never mind that, "Vendoogle" is such an obvious play off "Google" that I'm sure you can expect a busload of lawyers to land squarely in your lap if you pursue it. Save yourself the grief and think of a different (and better) name.

Like PATS1717 said and I agree. Not to worried about it. It would be some great press for us if they tried. They certainly don't have a legal right to the word . . . oogle.

Vendoogle.jpg

Edited by Parrothead

So where would Pinball machines & Arcade cabinets go? Would they stay on the Chuckwagon or go to Vendoogle under collectibles? I like the idea of a new auction site for everything else. Kind of like ebay & half.com are affiliated.

Arcade and Pinball will all still be on the Chuckwagon. Bascially anything remotely part of video/arcade game collecting will still be on the Chuckwagon. Everything else moved to Vendoogle.com.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm not really fond of the vendoogle name.

I will say, while I don't buy that much, I do look around often. I've been here for years and have seen a few auction sites for video games come and go. Usually have not much action going on and they disappear.

Yours is one that has seem to stick around and hopefully turn into more some day.

Yeah I like Chuck Wagon, can usually find pretty good deals on jag games. Just got a loose Theme Park for cheap there. But I see what everyones saying in that ebay is more mainstream and as soon as the chuck wagon becomes too big ebay will probably just buy it out. :( Oh well it will be good while it lasts I guess.

Oh, yea of little faith. The Chuck is not selling out, in fact we are starting an auction site for everything else as well. News is forth coming :)

I wasn't saying that it was selling out. I was just saying that when The Chuck Wagon gets to big Ebay will probably attempt to. I hope it never does sell out, its were Im putting all my stuff.

Like PATS1717 said and I agree. Not to worried about it. It would be some great press for us if they tried. They certainly don't have a legal right to the word . . . oogle.

Vendoogle.jpg

Okay, sure, good luck with that.

I have news for you, "oogle" isn't even a word, you're thinking of "ogle", "oogle" is obviously reminiscent of "Google" and even if they didn't have a leg to stand on, they could lawyer you to death. And they will, mark my words. Especially when they are exploring starting their own auction website themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely rooting for you, that's why I hate to see you spend money and energy on a name you will have to abandon.

(Dumb name, besides. But that's just my opinion... Reminds me of boondoggle.)

Vendoogle.jpg

I have news for you, "oogle" isn't even a word, you're thinking of "ogle", "oogle" is obviously reminiscent of "Google" and even if they didn't have a leg to stand on, they could lawyer you to death. And they will, mark my words. Especially when they are exploring starting their own auction website themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely rooting for you, that's why I hate to see you spend money and energy on a name you will have to abandon.

He's right... please come up with a better name.

Vendoogle.jpg

Ok. Let's open this up. If any of you have some ideas for the site let me know. First, off I have tried all obvious and not so obvious names with the words auction, bid buy sell vend, seller, buyer, vend, etc. etc. Believe me it's not easy finding a name this day and age. What about SoCalMikes.com? I really liked Junkanew.com but its taken but I have made an offer on it -- A junkanoo is a caribbean party - that would be cool and the whole Junk to New thing is cool. We will have to see on that one.

What are some ideas you all have? To see if a name is available goto http://www.networksolutions.com and try your luck :)

And I have just as many people that really love the name -- it kinda grows on you.

I still think Google would have no say in our name. The bottom line is Vendoogle and Google are entirely different words. There is site started by some Ebay brass now called http://www.oodle.com (which I think sounds more like Google).

I appreciate your thoughts, though but think it will be ok.

Edited by Parrothead

And I have just as many people that really love the name -- it kinda grows on you.

For me, it's not that I don't like the name (I could take it or leave it I guess -- it's an okay name), I just wouldn't want you to get in trouble legally, even if you are completely in the right, my guess is that the big "G"'s lawyers have more cash than you have. Just not a great idea to dangle a temptation like that in front of them.

Judging by CTCW and its success, you maybe have a good chance to make a go at being an ebay competitor. It may be worth a little more time to think of something that won't get you in trouble later.

And no, offhand, I don't have any better ideas for a name, sorry.

As for oodle.com... it's not oogle.com. If they tried oogle.com, they'd be in trouble. And I think if they attached a different word to the front of "oogle" (like Vend) they may run into trouble. Remember, it's not that there's anything wrong with what you're proposing legally, it's that they have a lot more money than you have (I assume).

Edited by Mirage1972

Vendoogle.jpg

Ok. Let's open this up. If any of you have some ideas for the site let me know. First, off I have tried all obvious and not so obvious names with the words auction, bid buy sell vend, seller, buyer, vend, etc. etc. Believe me it's not easy finding a name this day and age. What about SoCalMikes.com? I really liked Junkanew.com but its taken but I have made an offer on it -- A junkanoo is a caribbean party - that would be cool and the whole Junk to New thing is cool. We will have to see on that one.

What are some ideas you all have? To see if a name is available goto http://www.networksolutions.com and try your luck :)

I still think Google would have no say in our name. The bottom line is Vendoogle and Google are entirely different words. There is site started by some Ebay brass now called http://www.oodle.com (which I think sounds more like Google).

I appreciate your thoughts, though but think it will be ok.

How bout naming the auction site after a form of your name like headparakeet.com? I tried Parrothead.com and also headparrot and both were already taken.

Edited by homerwannabee

For me, it's not that I don't like the name (I could take it or leave it I guess -- it's an okay name), I just wouldn't want you to get in trouble legally, even if you are completely in the right, my guess is that the big "G"'s lawyers have more cash than you have. Just not a great idea to dangle a temptation like that in front of them.

Judging by CTCW and its success, you maybe have a good chance to make a go at being an ebay competitor. It may be worth a little more time to think of something that won't get you in trouble later.

As for oodle.com... it's not oogle.com. If they tried oogle.com, they'd be in trouble. And I think if they attached a different word to the front of "oogle" they may run into trouble. Remember, it's not that there's anything wrong with what you're proposing legally, it's that they have a lot more money than you have (I assume).

Ya, I hear what your saying. I would be lieing if I told you I didn't mean for it to sound like Google. And, I thought adding Vend in front of oogle would resinate with Google. I actually originally was going to call it Vendoozi but then changed it :) Still pondering this :)

As for oodle.com... it's not oogle.com. If they tried oogle.com, they'd be in trouble. And I think if they attached a different word to the front of "oogle" they may run into trouble. Remember, it's not that there's anything wrong with what you're proposing legally, it's that they have a lot more money than you have (I assume).

Ya, I hear what your saying. I would be lieing if I told you I didn't mean for it to sound like Google. And, I thought adding Vend in front of oogle would resinate with Google. I actually originally was going to call it Vendoozi but then changed it :) Still pondering this :)

Are any of you attorneys? If anything I would imagine they would give me a cease and desist. Then I would have to change the name, send out an email to all our members and get some press in the meantime. I think that would be worst case. I will call a patent/trademark attorney I know this week and get his input.

Edited by Parrothead

I would be lieing if I told you I didn't mean for it to sound like Google.

I think you just sealed your fate right there. The internet is forever and you just gave them some good ammunition to use against you. :skull:

It's funny I thought about that while typing that. I think its obvious though. I'll pay Al off to "lose" this thread :)

Edited by Parrothead

I would be lieing if I told you I didn't mean for it to sound like Google.

I think you just sealed your fate right there. The internet is forever and you just gave them some good ammunition to use against you. :skull:

It's funny I thought about that while typing that. I think its obvious though. I'll pay Al off to "lose" this thread :)

LOL, yeah... you may be right. Talk to an attorney, that's the only way to go on this. I've found that sometimes their answers are surprising and totally different than I would be led to expect by having watched every episode of Law & Order ever made. :P