IGNORED

eBay Traffic Plummeting

phaxda

I would be lieing if I told you I didn't mean for it to sound like Google.

I think you just sealed your fate right there. The internet is forever and you just gave them some good ammunition to use against you. :skull:

It's funny I thought about that while typing that. I think its obvious though. I'll pay Al off to "lose" this thread :)

LOL, yeah... you may be right. Talk to an attorney, that's the only way to go on this. I've found that sometimes their answers are surprising and totally different than I would be led to expect by having watched every episode of Law & Order ever made. :P

Here is something I found searching Google Trademark:

One of the conditions for all uses is that you can't mess around with our marks. Only we get to do that. Don’t remove, distort or alter any element of a Google Brand Feature. That includes modifying a Google trademark, for example, through hyphenation, combination or abbreviation, such as: Googliscious, Googlyoogly, GaGooglemania. Do not shorten, abbreviate, or create acronyms out of Google trademarks.

Thoughts?

How's this:

Revendify.com

Damn, how'd you come up with that? Now we are thinking. I also see that irevend.com is also available.

Check out these interesting links on Google and oogle domains:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum25/2722.htm

http://www.submitexpress.com/bbs/about532.html

It looks like http://www.froogle.com either lost the fight our were bought out by Google. Still reading up on this.

Edited by Parrothead

Here is something I found searching Google Trademark:

One of the conditions for all uses is that you can't mess around with our marks. Only we get to do that. Don’t remove, distort or alter any element of a Google Brand Feature. That includes modifying a Google trademark, for example, through hyphenation, combination or abbreviation, such as: Googliscious, Googlyoogly, GaGooglemania. Do not shorten, abbreviate, or create acronyms out of Google trademarks.

Thoughts?

Aha! Yup. I think that means that whether they're "right" or not, they'll come after you with the lawyers, even if it is, like you said, just to force you to change the name. You probably would get some free publicity out of it. Will be interesting to hear what the lawyer says.

How's this:

Revendify.com

Damn, how'd you come up with that? Now we are thinking. I also see that irevend.com is also available.

Check out these interesting links on Google and oogle domains:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum25/2722.htm

http://www.submitexpress.com/bbs/about532.html

It looks like http://www.froogle.com either lost the fight our were bought out by Google. Still reading up on this.

Correction -- it was http://www.froogles.com that was in this lawsuite. They are still around. Was a precident set here?

I could do Vendoozle.com also.

Edited by Parrothead

You already had the vend part. All I did was add re as in recycle, refresh, or renew and slapped ify on the end.

Revendify.com

Easy to say. Easy to spell. Might stick in people's minds.

Maybe it is a good idea to stay away from vendoogle I like some of the suggestions here for sure

What are everyone's thoughts about a .net vs. a .com. Does it really matter any more? I really like Junkanew and .net is available -- .com is not. As I said before its a Bahamian Party so I could have an Islandy flair to the site which always wins people over. JunkAnew.net.

Maybe it is a good idea to stay away from vendoogle I like some of the suggestions here for sure

What are everyone's thoughts about a .net vs. a .com. Does it really matter any more? I really like Junkanew and .net is available -- .com is not. As I said before its a Bahamian Party so I could have an Islandy flair to the site which always wins people over. JunkAnew.net.

A lot of people would go to the wrong site I think. You could always use it as a redirect site

A lot of people would go to the wrong site I think. You could always use it as a redirect site

VenderBlender.com is available? My wife doesn't like it though. NewJunkCity.com?

Edited by Parrothead

I know treasurewagon was mentioned on CTCW but there's always ChaseTheTreasureWagon if someone wanted a similar name to CTCW. Any name is better then none and I guess I would be worried about lawyers too especially if the site took off. I hadn't thought about that aspect. Regardless if any site with part of that name is still around legal fees could add up quickly fighting big corportae jerks even if you were right to begin with. :(

Never mind that, "Vendoogle" is such an obvious play off "Google" that I'm sure you can expect a busload of lawyers to land squarely in your lap if you pursue it. Save yourself the grief and think of a different (and better) name.

Like PATS1717 said and I agree. Not to worried about it. It would be some great press for us if they tried. They certainly don't have a legal right to the word . . . oogle.

Vendoogle.jpg

Okay, sure, good luck with that.

I have news for you, "oogle" isn't even a word, you're thinking of "ogle", "oogle" is obviously reminiscent of "Google" and even if they didn't have a leg to stand on, they could lawyer you to death. And they will, mark my words. Especially when they are exploring starting their own auction website themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely rooting for you, that's why I hate to see you spend money and energy on a name you will have to abandon.

(Dumb name, besides. But that's just my opinion... Reminds me of boondoggle.)

He's right... please come up with a better name.

Ok. Let's open this up. If any of you have some ideas for the site let me know. First, off I have tried all obvious and not so obvious names with the words auction, bid buy sell vend, seller, buyer, vend, etc. etc. Believe me it's not easy finding a name this day and age. What about SoCalMikes.com? I really liked Junkanew.com but its taken but I have made an offer on it -- A junkanoo is a caribbean party - that would be cool and the whole Junk to New thing is cool. We will have to see on that one.

What are some ideas you all have? To see if a name is available goto http://www.networksolutions.com and try your luck :)

And I have just as many people that really love the name -- it kinda grows on you.

I still think Google would have no say in our name. The bottom line is Vendoogle and Google are entirely different words. There is site started by some Ebay brass now called http://www.oodle.com (which I think sounds more like Google).

I appreciate your thoughts, though but think it will be ok.

What about thebarginwagon.com? I checked and it's available.

What about thebarginwagon.com? I checked and it's available.

No. It needs oogle or azzle or kasnizzle at the end. Think more Dr. Seuss. And it must start with vend. We can think of something. I'll start the list:

Vendsniffle

Vendgloople

Vendboopie

Vendnopnord

Vendwizblorp

Vendfooznoople

Vendsnortwaggle

Vendmoofsniffle

How about vendazzle.com? I thought of it last night and really liked it (better than vendoogle, which I now think sounds kinda goofy). It's available.

I would absolutely go with a .com over a .net. You'll have everyone going to whatever the .com is.

you need to go with a dot com. I'm tend to type the name I'm going to and hitting ctrl+enter which fills in the www. & .com for me. I've done it that way for so many years that I don't even think about it. so times if I'm hitting a .edu or .net site, I have to backtrack and fix it if it's not in my drop down list of sites I frequent.

Edited by missioncontrol

How about vendazzle.com? I thought of it last night and really liked it (better than vendoogle, which I now think sounds kinda goofy). It's available.

VenDazzle.com

It's Absolutely Fabulouuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssss!

Ya, my wife mentioned that one when I was on the Vendoozi, Vendoozle kick. But I hadn't seen it typed out and it does look pretty good.

Edited by Parrothead

I would think a recession (which we are not officially in yet) would actually help Ebay. People with little cash looking for bargains...

It's pretty official now:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news/econo...sion=2008120112

Since December 2007.

..Al

Yep... the cyclical nature of the economy is like a rubber band... it goes up, then down, repeatedly. If the high isn't too high, the low won't be too low. This time, the high was very high, so the low will be quite low. Nothing to get overly freaked out about, but it is going to be a bit rough. For some more than others. A good time for everyone to step back and realize and think about the things that are really truly important in life. I think it was about time for that, at least.