IGNORED

What classic arcade games came out for NES?

ok. Thanks for the info. I'm now sure SMB2J FDS and All Night Nippon SMB FDS came after Vs. SMB. The latter being a remix similar to Vs. SMB, but with more altered graphics based on a license and the former having some of the levels from Vs. SMB with a few of the non-licensed graphic changes from All Night Nippon SMB.

Edited by BrianC

From what I understand that's a common misconception which had bled over onto some nintendo's own websites...

I recall that date mostly from discussions with Curt and Marty (wgungfu) on the subject. (both prominent historians active on this site if you don't know that already) -Both active editors on wiki, of course.

I'm not sure what books like "Game Over" or similar gaming history books list though...

The later release is a big factor for the NES not being very successful until mid '86, if it did indeed predate the full launch, I'd immagine the positive response due to that game probably spurred the nation-wide launch. ('85 saw only the NY test, followed by several other point releases in early '86 -starting with California iirc)

I think SMB didn't come out for the NES in the States until 1986 sometime. I seem to recall reading somewhere -- I want to say Kent's awsome 'Ultimate History of Video Games' that when the NES was test markted in late 1985 it didn't have SMB yet.

I think the misconception comes from assumptions that SMB was a North American launch title (and considering the test releases launches). It may very well have been a title available at the real launch (nationwide), or maybe a little before that. I'm curious to know of SMB was available pack-in before the official nation-wide launch. (it was almost certainly a pack in for the launch in the action set)

Some articles (and past discussions) even seem to imply that the Deluxe set was the only one available prior to the Action set being released with Mario, but I'm not very sure on that one. (perhaps that was true for the New York test market, but not the expanded releases prior to full launch)

• 7 months later...