IGNORED

COL80?

Urchlay

There's an old utility called COL80 that does 80 column text in GR.8 mode... It's variously known as COL80.COM, COL80E.COM, COL80HND, etc etc.

Does anyone know who the author of this program is, or where it was originally published (a magazine, or utility disk maybe)?

Note: I'm not referring to Itay Chamiel's COL80 from the Ice-T disk (that one is an 80-column text file viewer, not a general-purpose E: handler). The COL80 I'm talking about, when you load it, it switches your screen to 80-column mode and returns you to the DOS prompt.

I have one here called 80.COM - I don't know anything about it or how it works, but it is fairly readable on the emulator with no artifacting. It switches screen to 80 cols, turns the BG black, and drops back to DOS prompt (in SpartaDOS). I think Keith Ledbetter gave it to me back in the 80's but I don't know if he wrote it or not. PM if you want to see it.

Well,

I do not know who programmed this utility (or driver)... but anyway, here are the 80 column utilities I have...

Afaik, some modem/terminal programs (e.g. Bobterm, ICE-T) and probably some GUI`s (maybe ATOS, etc.) and text-editors (e.g. Turbo-Word 80, Last Word, etc.) also support 80 columns or have drivers for that... Me, I almost never use 80 columns on the Atari, thats why I don`t search much for drivers or programs that use / support it... (when writing small texts or docs on the A8 then 40 columns are enough for me, for all serious office work, I use Open Office on the PC)... -Andreas Koch.