IGNORED

A 7800 movie

Gorf

I can't believe it. Gorf in atari 7800!!. It's one of the games I wrote in "new homebrew arcade ports..." topic.

I say again: nobody can say that 7800 has a bad gamelibrary now, thanks to homebrew scene.

Warbids looks promising too. I read your topic some time ago. Is rom available to test it? From the screenshot, I should add a starfield as background, and hi-score record.

I can't believe it. Gorf in atari 7800!!. It's one of the games I wrote in "new homebrew arcade ports..." topic.

I say again: nobody can say that 7800 has a bad gamelibrary now, thanks to homebrew scene.

Warbids looks promising too. I read your topic some time ago. Is rom available to test it? From the screenshot, I should add a starfield as background, and hi-score record.

I started Warbirds on 7800 not realizing how the DLL would complicate things.

Once I saw the sprite limit using the example code Bob(PacManPlus) posted,

I realized that i'd need to dig deeper than the example. It was a simple, dynamic

list builder that worked well for a few sprites but Bob told me there was PLENTY

of room for optimizing it. I decided to instead, start from scratch and write an

static, field only update DLL kernal. I can pump a serious amount of srpites on

the screen and no slow down. So far I have 32 sprites not even breaking a sweat.

So with all this, I said to myself, "Self, you need to learn the hardward by writing

a game you know like your own naked body." So I chose Gorf. I may never even

finish it as it's sole intent was to familiarize my self with Maria.

Maybe.....Maybe.....I may give the source to someone trustworthy like Curt or Jason

for safe keeping. This way if I croak, they can do as they wish with it. Then you could

all wish I die(if you dont already :P ) and play Gorf when I do!

:D

(I know, Im pretty sick...but it keeps me humble.) :P

I will borrow the starfield from Gorf(amonst other things) for Warbirds.

Im hoping none of you will even miss Gorf when Im done with Warbirds.

If only I could make my own dev cart. Then I can test out my ram buffer theory.

Edited by Gorf

The way I see it, the only way to go is an online service where people can play the game streaming off actual 7800 hardware. I'd pay good money for that. Have you given any thought to doing Xbox Live Arcade stuff?

AX

No not really...its not appealing to me. I like making hard copy games...Carts and

discs in nice packages. I think the download has killed the art of videogame cover

art. I'm still that little child that drools over a new shiny box with a clsssic game inside.

I'll never grow up in that regard.

:D

Nice work on this Gorf. I've been very interested in the technical workings of the 7800 ever since I listened to the mp3 of Curt Vendel and Steve Golson. I've always wanted to know what the upper limit of the maria chip was and now that you're working with it I assume that someday we'll know.

Nice work on this Gorf. I've been very interested in the technical workings of the 7800 ever since I listened to the mp3 of Curt Vendel and Steve Golson. I've always wanted to know what the upper limit of the maria chip was and now that you're working with it I assume that someday we'll know.

Though I appreciate the accolades, It will be quite some time before I TRULY

understand this machine. It took me more than a decade to really get to know

the Jaguar and to overcome its inexcusable hardware bugs. This is the start of

my 7800 journey.

I don't want to start an argument or anything, but constantly talking about and showing videos of a game you coded for the 7800, which looks that good, but you won't release because of some stupid name/25 year old copyright issue is really pretty aggravating to fans of the system who post here.

Being a fan of the 7800 in the late 80's was bad enough, given that most of the announced/advertised games took years before they ever saw the light of day in a store, if ever.

I appreciate your hard work and determination, but really - you're torturing us here by going into so much detail about your efforts, yet you refuse to let anyone enjoy it but yourself.

I hope you have a change of heart, for the 7800 community's sake.

Edited by Underball

I don't want to start an argument or anything, but constantly talking about and showing videos of a game you coded for the 7800, which looks that good, but you won't release because of some stupid name/25 year old copyright issue is really pretty aggravating to fans of the system who post here.

Being a fan of the 7800 in the late 80's was bad enough, given that most of the announced/advertised games took years before they ever saw the light of day in a store, if ever.

I appreciate your hard work and determination, but really - you're torturing us here by going into so much detail about your efforts, yet you refuse to let anyone enjoy it but yourself.

I can't change my heart because laws dictate otherwise. I've

been in direct contact with Midway over Gorf in the past. Im

not unknown to them.

So based on your logic I guess I should not show anymore videos?

Several people requested to see a video. I oblidged. Im going to be

given BS now?

You can't always get what you want my friend. This comes across

pretty spoiled. However, you're young, you'll get over it.

not unknown to them.

given BS now?

It just seems detrimental to the community to create something so great, but refuse to share it.

You know that you could rename it and wouldn't have to worry about the legal issues, but you refuse to. That's the painful part. I understand the laws as they are written. But you're being such a hard lined perfectionist about the name, it hurts everyone but you.

I'm not saying don't post about it. I'm asking that reconsider your stance.

I'm not insulting you, even if you think I'm spoiled because I only want to play this game you coded but are refusing to share.

Like I said - Atari and the Tramiels tortured us enough with mishandling the 7800 in it's original launch, and the appalling lack of quality (and quantity) games. We've endured enough pain.

not unknown to them.

given BS now?

It just seems detrimental to the community to create something so great, but refuse to share it.

You know that you could rename it and wouldn't have to worry about the legal issues, but you refuse to. That's the painful part. I understand the laws as they are written. But you're being such a hard lined perfectionist about the name, it hurts everyone but you.

I'm not insulting you, even if you think I'm spoiled because I only want to play this game you coded but are refusing to share.

Like I said - Atari and the Tramiels tortured us enough with mishandling the 7800 in it's original launch, and the appalling lack of quality (and quantity) games. We've endured enough pain.

Lol! Oh, your serious?

Grow up will you? This is just insanity. You are tortured over a video game? Amazing.

You are so selfishly motivated that you totally ignore sound reason. You feel you are intitled to

everything just becasue you are a fan of the system? The arrogance of some of you make it

less and less desirable to want to share anything. Every time I've posted something here I get

a friggin complaint.

Im refusing to share it because that is the law. You feel above the law on this matter than do like I am

doing. Leran to code the machine yourself. I wont be posting any more such videos. I'd hate to further

'torture' anyone.

Oh, I dont THINK you are spoiled.....it is QUITE CLEAR you are.

From now on, I'll share the video privately as not to cause you

anymore pain.

Edited by Gorf

not unknown to them.

given BS now?

Lol! Oh, your serious?

Grow up will you? This is just insanity. You are tortured over a video game? Amazing.

You are so selfishly motivated that you totally ignore sound reason. You feel you are intitled to

everything just becasue you are a fan of the system? The arrogance of some of you make it

less and less desirable to want to share anything. Every time I've posted something here I get

a friggin complaint.

Im refusing to share it because that is the law. You feel above the law on this matter than do like I am

doing. Leran to code the machine yourself. I wont be posting any more such videos. I'd hate to further

'torture' anyone.

Oh, I dont THINK you are spoiled.....it is QUITE CLEAR you are.

From now on, I'll share the video privately as not to cause you

anymore pain.

wow.

all I did was POLITELY ask you to rethink your position on not releasing a game you coded.

Honestly - if I'd made a post anywhere near this insulting, I'd probably be banned for it.

this was completely uncalled for.

wow.

all I did was POLITELY ask you to rethink your position on not releasing a game you coded.

Yeah Wow!

Calling me selfish is not polite especially when it is a lie. You know quite well why I cant share

it but that's not good enough for you. Im a bastard because my moral base does'nt appeal to

you so you start hurling such insults and think you were polite about it? Get over yourself.

Honestly - if I'd made a post anywhere near this insulting, I'd probably be banned for it.

You can hurl insults of sefishness and ask me to take a risk of getting sued just so YOU

can have a video game and I should be banned?

this was completely uncalled for.

Your selfish whinning is what is completely uncalled for. So far you are the only one

acting like this. Get a grip. You'll never play Gorf 7800. Don't blame me. It's not my

IP. You want to break the law or sneak around it, then be my guest. I'll take a road

more suited to me.

Your "polite" request essentially came off as an accusation of Gorf being selfish with the game and showing the videos just to torment 7800 fans. He's already made his intentions with the game quite clear, so please refrain from any more posts in this thread on that subject.

Thanks Sauron,

I appreciate the back up. It's not like I would not like to release it.

Believe me, I'd love to let you all have it. The fact is my friend, I

dont intend to even finish it. Its purpose was to help me along to

code my own DLL code and multi-level game engine. As a result,

you'll all hopefully have another multi-level space shoot-em up to

play.

Also, the movie you saw was an unplayable demo. I have already

scrapped it in favor of resuming coding on WarBirds. Already the

engine is showing a major improvement.

I appreciate everyone else who understands that I simply wanted to

share some visuals because some of you ask for it.

Hopefully Warbirds will heal any hard feelings.

:)

EDIT:

I also intend to release a skeleton of the source code.

So all you need to do is supply sound AI and your own

graphics. Once done The DLL code and multilevel engine

code will be whomever wishes to make use of it. No

charge. Just a hello in your game is all I'd ask.

Edited by Gorf

Gorf - that is very much a thing of beauty, and especially so considering your only recent introduction to the platform. Rock on dude! :cool:

Thanks Mr. Williams. :D

I think WarBirds will make up for its loss though. I aiming for 8 missions.

I'd feel irresponsible not mentioning PacManPlus, Dan Boris and Crazy Ace

for their help in me getting the DLL concept through my think skull.

The truth is, Maria is more like the Jagaur OPL than an 8 bitters DLL.

Edited by Gorf

gorf,

I do understand that midway would stop you making a 7800 version of Gorf.

(I do see you making a port for computers, have gave thought to making Gorf for TI-99/4a either in assembly language or Ti-extended basic)

also isn't warbirds licensed to atari,they did make a Lynx game by that name..

now I wish I had my 7800 working :(

gorf,

(I do see you making a port for computers, have gave thought to making Gorf for TI-99/4a either in assembly language or Ti-extended basic)

War Birds for Lynx is a bi-plane battle from what I remember. No big deal. I can always

change the name( I was thinking about doing this anyway) but its nothing like the Lynx

game.

I never used a TI-99 so it would not be likely. The 7800 has a 6502 which I am familiar

with. At lease a lot more so than I would be with a TMS9900 based chip. Now Tursi on

the other hand loves his TI. :)

gorf,

War Birds for Lynx is a bi-plane battle from what I remember. No big deal. I can always

change the name( I was thinking about doing this anyway) but its nothing like the Lynx

game.

I never used a TI-99 so it would not be likely. The 7800 has a 6502 which I am familiar

with. At lease a lot more so than I would be with a TMS9900 based chip. Now Tursi on

the other hand loves his TI. :)

ah ok I was wondering about the warbirds game your doing. no big.

as for TI, he's not the only who loves his TI:

Laserman was one of my games I first did on the TI

(my others was superman the game based on the second movie

and All star baseball)

Laserman was made for the TI because the Ti didn't have a port of Tempest

which was my favorite arcade game(still is).

eventually, the game came out to be more of cross of Space invaders and Tempest.

Laserman for the 2600 is still on WIP mode,just have to work on the playfield changing on each level.

Your "polite" request essentially came off as an accusation of Gorf being selfish with the game and showing the videos just to torment 7800 fans. He's already made his intentions with the game quite clear, so please refrain from any more posts in this thread on that subject.

Fine.

Maybe I do come off as spoiled. I apologize, Gorf.

But I guess I just got too used to the previous 7800 forum homebrew efforts of Kenfused and PacManPlus being shared through out the process of building the games like Pac-Man Collection, Beef Drop, etc. Or myself sharing the PSP7800 port of Prosystem, and the proper 7800 NTSC palettes files for the various emulators out there that I put together.

good luck with your coding. the attract version video does look dead-on. hopefully someone can use your skeleton codebase to slap together more 7800 goodness.

Edited by Underball

Fine.

Maybe I do come off as spoiled. I apologize, Gorf.

But I guess I just got too used to the previous 7800 forum homebrew efforts of Kenfused and PacManPlus being shared through out the process of building the games like Pac-Man Collection, Beef Drop, etc. Or myself sharing the PSP7800 port of Prosystem, and the proper 7800 NTSC palettes files for the various emulators out there that I put together.

good luck with your coding. the attract version video does look dead-on. hopefully someone can use your skeleton codebase to slap together more 7800 goodness.

Appology accepted. You'd do well in the future however, not to assume my policy is the same

as others. It is not. I share what I can. If you were to read carefully, you would have seen that

I have no intentions of finishing Gorf. It served its purpose.

Edited by Gorf