IGNORED

Atari Mastermind Character Contest

cvga

Well, Superman is already out

so is Mario Bros.

Those are the first 2 Supers that come to mind.

Super Breakout is a paddle game...out.

Chuck Norris is out

Super Cobra has no non-mechanic characters

All of the Super Challenge sports games have nameless characters

I'm all out of super....?

I don't see any Standout Activison games, save for Double Dragon, which is already out.

One of you is right.

It all fits, the basketball jargon "take a shot"  "bricks"

utamav91 has a DD guy as his avatar

it has selectable characters (right?)

i think its congrats to one of you.... :)

wow, nice wrap up of the facts Stan, like a game of Clue :)

I would think Scooter is right because cvga said throw 'out' a guess but who knows.

If it is, I'm sure it's oesii. Remember the clue when he said (paraphrasing) "You don't have to play as the character"? Well, you start with the ball at the 3-point line, meaning you start as Mr. Outside, you never have to pass to Mr. Inside if you don't want to, although I think you can play as teammates, making Mr. Inside an optional character to play. (I never played the game until after I made the guess, I found the name in the manual here on AA).

Also, when he said one of the last guesses was close, I thought he meant my Wile E. Coyote guess (based on lonesome_pa's coyote avatar), but somebody (Jeffy) guessed a character named "Mr. Hero"

We won't get official word until cgva gives it, but I feel pretty safe saying congrats to oesii.

Fun contest, and very maddening at the same time!!!

I didn't realize that there were this many named characters in Atari games...

I was about ready to throw in some Nintendo characters just to make sure!!

yeah I was ready to throw out some 7800 games too. After this contest is over I say we petition StanJr to put together a database of all the named characters in 2600 games ;)

Trey, one of these days you are going down.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Or if you prefer, Billy Madison style:

"O'Doyle, I got a feeling one of these days your whole family's going down."

And HEY, how come I don't win the contest, but THEN get petitioned to do EVEN more work! How is that fair? Throw me a bone over here!

;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P

sigh, I'll have the database of named characters by the end of the week.....

Congrats go out to oesii

The last character was Mr. Inside

Choosing someone from Double Dunk made the contest more difficult than I imagined. Here is the reasoning behind some of my prior comments:

One of the people on Atari Age reminds me of this character:

That would be The Big Player. Even before I held the contest, I associated his name with Mr. Inside. I believe he also refers to himself as the Double Dunk Zen Master which I didn't know when I posted the clue.

Later...

Everyone is free to try again so throw out another guess. I was sure that someone would jump on "free throw". Interestingly, everytime I used "throw out", I didn't mean it to be a reference to which player (sorry scooterb23).

Next day..

Everyone can now take another shot at the answer.

Later...

The guess that was closest yet was Mr. Mean. I should have been more specific as there were too many guesses between my posts for anyone to get much useful info from that 'clue'.

Later...

Everyone keeps putting up bricks. I knew someone would associate this with basketball but thought that it would also lead some people incorrectly back toward Oink, Squeeze Box, etc. Props to StanJr for immediately jumping all over the basketball reference. Jeers for not following up on it. ;)

Lastly...

some say this game would have been truly super if things had just been a little different

The original title of Double Dunk was "Super Basketball"

Everyone:

Thanks for participating. This was a heck of a lot of fun for me. :D :D :D :D :D

Oh yeah, one more thing...

oesii - PM me your address and I'll get your prize in the mail.

scooterb23 - if you're collection's not too big, PM me a list of some of the less rare games you need and I'll send you one if I have it as a consolation prize. It can't be more rare than Front Line though ;)

Everyone else - thanks again!!

Thanks for the offer cvga, but I have over 200 titles in my 2600 collection...so I don't think I'm hurting for stuff to play!! This contest was a lot of fun, and since I didn't have the prize, I figured I might as well stick it out until the end.

Again, great contest!!! I think a lot of us were in the same boat, none of us knew that the characters in Double Dunk had names!!!

Again, great contest!!! I think a lot of us were in the same boat, none of us knew that the characters in Double Dunk had names!!!

Then you need to play more Double Dunk. :P At the end of the game it shows the game stats and actually displays the names Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside on the screen.

That was going to be the next clue "This character's name is displayed on the screen during part of the game." There can't be too many characters that this is true for.

Props to StanJr for immediately jumping all over the basketball reference. Jeers for not following up on it.  ;)  

Nah, by this time I was well out of the running. I was just trying to help the rest of the contestants out and do some informative cheerleading. I've never played Double Dunk, so I had to research it before I could have guessed, and the others had long beat me too it.

:) :)

Congrats to cvga and oesii! :!: :!: :!:

Thanks Stan, your summaries helped me a lot with the guesses, I haven't really played Double Dunk in about 10 years and the few times I've played it in emulation recently I never got too far into it and didn't notice that the players had names. Who knew? ;)