IGNORED

Wanted: Good Working DVD drive for Original XBox

Hyper_Eye

I am hoping that I can avoid paying the ridiculous EBay prices by coming to my fellow AA'ers. I need to replace the drive in my XBox. I don't want to replace the XBox itself because it is a V1 that I chip modded. I managed to get around a number of bans before the hdd/eeprom marriage occurred and it is currently unbanned with a large hdd installed.

So I would like to swap the DVD drive for a good one. Samsung is preferable but I will take any working drive. If you have a dead XBox with, what you believe to be, a good working DVD drive then please let me know. PM with the info and how much you want. Thanks.

The problem with those solutions is that the drive cannot go into the unit and/or it will not read original XBox discs. There is a very specific drive that can be modded to work in the original XBox but it has become hard to find one, requires good soldering skills, and costs a good bit because of the demand for it. The benefit is that the new drive will read better than any of the drives used stock in the XBox regardless of the XBox model or drive brand.

The real solution is to either get/mod one of those specific model of drive or find an original XBox DVD drive to put into your machine. Luckily, I may have a usable spare. I remembered I have had an XBox with a bad HDD sitting in a pile of junk for a couple of years now. I pulled it out and when I have time I will pull the DVD drive and see what the condition of it is. If it is successful I will note it here.