IGNORED

Ebay: Bad Experience..

zraider

I purchased an Atari 800 and 1050 drive from

"KOZJ" on Ebay last week; it arrived in a flimsy box and looked as though the computer and drive had been thrown in; both cases were cracked and all but 8 keys were missing off the computer. 'Got the computer going, but no communication with drive.

This post just to warn others of this individual. The guy had shades by his name, and no feedback in the last 6 months, so I guess I should have researched this better, but regardless, I purchased a system in good faith and received junk.

'Hope this helps.

I agree entirely, and now that I've been on AtariAge for a while, I've found quite a few firms and individuals who are honest, and where you can compare prices and see just what a particular item is selling for. Then when I go to Ebay, if I do go there, I have some reference regarding price and availability of items.

I've also found quite a few members on the board who have been extremely helpful and friendly. Not a better board on the net !

As far as stating what I paid, I'll just leave it at TOO MUCH.

I occasionally get letters from potential ebay bidders as to why I charge a $2-$5 packing materials charge (depending on the size of the item). I write back and explain how I once bought a joyport for the mac (which is a little bit bigger than a pack of cigarattes), and how it arrived in an envelope destroyed...

Was the package insured? If so, have the guy open a claim in your name (VERY important), and have him create you an ebay invoice You NEED documentation as to how much you paid for the item, if he can't document how much HE paid, then the claim has to be in your name.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by chrisr:

I occasionally get letters from potential ebay bidders as to why I charge a $2-$5 packing materials charge (depending on the size of the item). I write back and explain how I once bought a joyport for the mac (which is a little bit bigger than a pack of cigarattes), and how it arrived in an envelope destroyed...

Was the package insured? If so, have the guy open a claim in your name (VERY important), and have him create you an ebay invoice You NEED documentation as to how much you paid for the item, if he can't document how much HE paid, then the claim has to be in your name.

Chris

I agree, I used to pack my items VERY well, box, with a good support (stylophan o whatever the name it's) and I used to include the insurance in the shipping price, I mean, insurance wasen't an option, and I never had a problem, better safe than sorry

OsBo

The best is when you pay for insurance, offered by the seller, then the seller doesn't insure the damn thing. I had this happen about a month ago. I told the guy "we" were lucky the item didn't break or get lost. I then proceeded to request my $1.10 refund. He wound up refunding me my entire shipping amount. Gave him positive fb after that.

I always offer insurance as an option. I say things ship US Mail. Sometimes a package will weigh more because I underestimate it. I ALWAYS track a package, regardless of whether the person wants insurance. I had one guy tell me he didn't get his package. I had the tracking number. It said it got delivered 8 days earlier. Found out his package was sitting in the post office. Go figure.

Oh, take note that priority mail is increasing in price on July 1st.

Phil

I don't mind paying extra for shipping as long as that money is used for shipping. I hate when people overcharge and then ship for the cheapest rate. Just recently, I got charged $4 for shipping and the game arrived in an envelope with an $.80 stamp. I emailed the guy asking where the extra $3.20 was and he said "that was for handling". Handling is such bullshit.

Here is what I usually do to try to avoid confusion. First of all, don't assume that a price of $3.50 for shipping a small item = priority mail shipping. It usually doesn't. I email the potential seller before I bid and ask the following questions:

1. What is the shipping cost to my state, my zip and what method will be used?

2. Are other shipping options available and if so at what cost?

3. Do you charge a handling/packing fee in addition to actual shipping charges.

I think depending on the answers to these questions you receive back, you can determine exactly what the deal is, and if you don't like what you hear, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THAT PERSON, PERIOD!

I find this can clear up any confusion because many sellers are too vague in their auction description. Personally, I spell it all out in my auctions, how much, what method, etc, so there is no chance for confusion. I also recycle packing materials, but even if you don't have fancy foam peanuts or bubble wrap, some crumpled up newspaper works just fine in a pinch!

As a matter of fact, I think Secret Quest, above my post, purchased a load of 7800 items from me earlier in the year and was pretty impressed with my packing of his items.

Before I ship a package, I say to myself, would I be happy if I were to RECEIVE this particular package in the mail? It has to meet my standards, which are pretty high!

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: MrRetroGamer ]

Sometimes the USPS mailperson isn't good, and packages do end up sitting in the post office. This happened to me twice. I thought I got screwed and proceeded to send some email to the seller asking where my package was. Both times, the sender said he sent it a while ago, but offered a refund. Before I could reply, I get a "Final Notice" from USPS that if I don't pick up my package, it would be sent back. The problem is that I never got the first two notices!!!

I should note that I ship things to my business address which always has someone there to sign off on my packages, so the USPS' excuse that "Maybe no one was home" is baloney (insert moycon's bolonga sandwich )