IGNORED

why Do ebay stores Overprice every atari 2600 game

zach1845

ya, I have noticed the same thing, I sold a mint copy of Rubik's Cube with a manual this summer for $30, I was happy to get rid of it, I made $25 on the transaction and the buyer was happy to get a cheap game so we were both happy in the end. Some of the big EBay sellers act like it will kill them to give a deal, when they are asking %100 over true market price.

Hi guys,

Yeah, i've noticed that as well. $20 bucks for Pac-man for the 2600. That's highway robbery!!

Anthony....

Yes, it is. But the saddest part of it all is that there will be that person that had the 2600 back in the day (and this game) and really know nothing about the value of things. This person will think it is a good deal and buy it. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. And that is what these cheesy resellers are betting on.

Hi guys,

Yeah, i've noticed that as well. $20 bucks for Pac-man for the 2600. That's highway robbery!!

Anthony....

I once saw a Pac-Man cart going for 5 cents short of $50(!!!). It didn't sell, obviously, and the worst part is that the seller probably didn't learn their lesson. :|

I would say because it only costs $0.03 to list something in an eBay store, so it becomes worthwhile to just throw up every old thing you have no desire to deal with if you're only going to make $0.50 on it, and let it sit there for ages until a fish bites at a much higher profit.

I was going to say that if they have a buy it now, its a great way to list items without prior research and let the offers come in. Generally, as a seller, unless I just listed an item that same day (often) I wouldn't counter offer a buck less than the original. I usually do percentage based. If someone offers $1 on a $3 game I may counter with $2.50. If someone offers $50 on a $100 game I may counter with $80. Generally if I'm personally listing stuff I look it up, if there isn't any in the history of eBay and rarity guides are most obviasly wrong (several coleco games Ive sold) I'll put them at $50 or $100 and leave them up to see what people will offer.

AX

Your guess is as good as mine. I am often coming across the same auctions in searches, which have been up for many months. They will never sell at those prices, yet, there they are. If you thought Atari stuff is bad, the amount of ridiculously priced Nintendo or SEGA items is staggering.

You're not kidding.

I like how a copy of Genesis Sonic 1 is all of a sudden 'rare' and expecting to fetch $10-$15 by a bunch of sellers.

I've been looking for a loose copy of Genesis Zombies Ate My Neighbors and the prices are extravagant, even though I saw a couple CIB in recent weeks that went for $10-$20.

One auction is regret not winning is a Genesis game lot that included, mint and CIB:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic Spinball

Gunstar Heroes

Mega Turrican

Streets of Rage 2

Vectorman

Sonic CD (for use with Sega CD)

and it ended at $34 - NOT TOO BAD!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=009

It's the same reason you might see a 2600 in a box at Goodwill listed at $89.95. They're just waiting for the guy who will pay it. The difference is at a physical store, you can only take up space for so long before the price needs to come down, whereas on ebay the only limitation is how much they are paying to store the stuff they have for sale.

At such a low listing cost, a seller can afford to pay for storage for a BIG stack of cartridges for a LONG time, as long as they sell one occasionally. Eventually, these sellers will probably lower the price, or discontinue their store, but it may be years before that happens.

I'm not an ebay-buyer, but can't you filter out sellers you don't like from search results?

why Do ebay stores Overprice every atari 2600 game

because they are idiots :D

I think that occasional sale where they get $100 for a Death Trap gets them hooked on selling high. They get a feeling like winning the jackpot on a slot machine. Thats why gambling is so addictive, you can get so much money for a small investment....but we all know how that goes, you lose in the long run.

Well, I have heard that the reason they do this is so the value of the cart doesn't go down because of the exposure that certain game has had over the course of the year. If it sold for say $99 for Chase the Chuckwagon on more than one occasion then they try to keep it that way. I do resell stuff myself but usually for the value of that game and not overpriced to where it is an insane price. They mark up high to where as said before they won't lose on actual profit on an OFFER deal they might have. Kinda like you go to a grocery store and they say 25% off when they marked it up already 30%. They know Tax Time is coming and that's when the insanity kicks in for some. 1087.gif