IGNORED

Is Bob Puffs' BBS Program Lost Forever?

IndusGT

Just now, IndusGT said:

So glad to see this is not forgotten. 

I just found all of the source code in the program, they use multi-nodes as multiple R: devices, all of the .MOD files are Basic XE files, I will post the video that I posted in a new thread here, plus a few files ..... Emulating this will be tough on the Fujinet as the program opens multi channels to many modems, I assume a Multi IO device of some sort.  And all of the .MOD files are really Basic XE module files , there is a MAINPRM.MOD file , I will upload the unmodified ascii version of it , you will see what I mean: every .MOD file refers to multi R: devices, it could be done with modems and port numbers?

mainprm.bas

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

Emulating this will be tough on the Fujinet as the program opens multi channels to many modems, I assume a Multi IO device of some sort.

As this BBS software is from CSS/Bob Puff I think it more probable that the device was a Black Box rather than an  MIO, it has all the capabilities except for RAMdisk. There was also a floppy board upgrade that allowed connecting up to 4 disk drives. Use of Multiplexers was also likely, with each multiplexer node being used for different R: ports.

16 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

If someone tells me in which file(s) to look for, I can take a crack at it (pun intended).

These are some Dis6502(older version) wrk files that I was going through back then.

Fakemoe.wrk Puff.wrk Waitml.wrk WAITML.OBJ PUFBBS.COM FAKEMOE.COM

puff.equ Puffbbs.arc.exe Puffbbs.arc.wrk

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

if there was a way to write Spartados 3.3 Pro to the 16 meg file without ruining the contents, I would be all for it, then we could run the autobat file.

COPY X33A.DOS Dx:

BOOT Dx:X33A.DOS

9 hours ago, BillC said:

As this BBS software is from CSS/Bob Puff I think it more probable that the device was a Black Box rather than an  MIO, it has all the capabilities except for RAMdisk. There was also a floppy board upgrade that allowed connecting up to 4 disk drives. Use of Multiplexers was also likely, with each multiplexer node being used for different R: ports.

Is there any possibility of getting a Multiplexor these days? I mean this must be a rare item.

6 minutes ago, BillC said:

@Stephen J. Cardenacquired the rights to the multiplexer from Bob Puff, his website lists it as SOLD OUT!

http://www.realdos.net/mux.html

He also mentions that if there is enough interest in the Multiplexor he will make a second run, with Puff BBS being a real possibility of being restored I would be interested in a multiplxor.

Russ

5 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

COPY X33A.DOS Dx:

BOOT Dx:X33A.DOS

Thanks, I will do this later on this afternoon, and I have created a Mega directory that contains everything Puff BBS related all in one place, if there is any interest in this I will post the link here..... Russ

I now have a bootable disk atr for Puff BBS if that helps anyone , will work on it more this afternoon, was able to configure Altira with an MIO but not a black box , I am missing the firmware for the black box, once I figure out how to configure and access an emulated black box I can set it up on Altirra. Here is the new bootable Puff BBS atr

PuffBBS Bootable Disk.atr

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

I now have a bootable disk atr for Puff BBS if that helps anyone , will work on it more this afternoon, was able to configure Altira with an MIO but not a black box , I am missing the firmware for the black box, once I figure out how to configure and access an emulated black box I can set it up on Altirra. Here is the new bootable Puff BBS atr

PuffBBS Bootable Disk.atr 15.87 MB · 1 download

Mathy's page has a bunch of roms for the black box, attached is the most recent one he says should work in an emulator, hope that helps

bbrom216.rom

• Like 2

You know off topic but on topic in the 90s i had a blackbox, it died. (Also i was a kid younger atarian) 

I got ahold of bob puff sent it to him to have it repaired. He sent me a new latest revision black box and didnt charge me. 

real nice guy.

saw his name and other than memory of using bob term i remember this. I thought it was awesome then and i still think it was awesome of him today!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...