IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED? Weekly Top Ten for 2009

cvga

Adventure (2600): 30 minutes

(Why am I totally obsessive compulsive with this game? Why must I always kill all three dragons, put the bridge in place in the white castle, open all three castles, and go see Warren's credits every time I play? I did all that three times last night. Totally bizarre, when two of those times I could have won the game within a couple of minutes.)

mmm, let's see...

Blue Print, Solar Fox, and a little Commie Mutants. Also I played a couple of Parker games, too.

How long? Your estimate is better than my blind guess (which BTW is typically 10 minutes per game unless you include something that makes me feel differently). Of course, without knowing which Parker Brother games, I can't log time for any of them.

Based on the discussion here on the subject of Pac-Man, I decided to pop the game for the Atari 8-bit and the 5200 so I could compare them side to side (well, actually the systems and their TVs are on opposite walls, but close enough).

So:

Pac-Man (800XL): 15 minutes

Pac-Man (5200): 30 minutes

I was surprised to see that there are indeed significant differences between them, aside from the intermissions. The 5200 version is smoother (particularly noticeable when the ghosts are blue) and also faster. After all these years, I'd assumed they were exactly the same, except for the intermissions. So I only ended up with the 5200 version because it came with the console. But now I know that my memories from 1982 and 1983 were wrong -- when I "upgraded" from the 5200 to the Atari 400, I actually ended up with a weaker version of Pac-Man!

(That also explains why I was able to pick up the 8-bit version and play for a good long time even after not playing it for years at a time. It's slow and easy.)

Add for 2600

Pole Position 30 Minutes

Pac Man Arcade 25 Minutes

Hack 'Em 30 Minutes

Evil Magician Returns 35 Minutes

MissAdventure Revised 30 Minutes

I play some of the VCS games on my Vader and some on Stella (the new unreleased ones obviously) but I never specify which way I play games. Does it matter real hardware or emulator in this survey?

I see the two as basically the same thing which is why I never point out which one I am using.

Wp

I play some of the VCS games on my Vader and some on Stella (the new unreleased ones obviously) but I never specify which way I play games. Does it matter real hardware or emulator in this survey?

I see the two as basically the same thing which is why I never point out which one I am using.

Wp

Either is fine although the general consensus of the group is that you ought to try and play on real hardware when possible.

Super Breakout (5200): 10 minutes

Gremlins (5200): 20 minutes

Star Raiders (5200): 15 minutes

Qix (5200): 30 minutes

Pitfall! (2600): 10 minutes (I keep trying, and it keeps boring me.)

Berzerk (2600): 30 minutes (My favorite version of this game.)

Only listing 2600 games, played on the real hardware, for the last week.

Centipede: ~75 min

Enduro: ~120 min

I really like this one! Starts out easy but gets damn hard very quickly. Also nice day/night transitions.

Pac-Man: ~160 min

Yeah, what shall I say... if I had Ms.Pac-Man I'd propably play rather that, but I don't own it and also I don't think the 2600 Pac-Man is unplayable. It's disappointing because it's not like the Arcade, but if you take it as what it is, its some nice game on the 2600, good timekiller. However, I like to play that in B/W mode, I don't like the colors. I normally play in game mode 5, switching the difficulty to either Novice or Expert depending on mood.