IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED? Weekly Top Ten for 2009

cvga

Here are the games

1. Kaboom! (2600) 4,345 minutes

2. Park Patrol (C-64) 3,529

[....]

You wouldn't happen to have kept stats on how many people played each game, would you? One fanatic playing a game for 8 hours a day for a couple of weeks could make a game look pretty darned popular, so it'd be nice to know how many people played the games -- esp the top 10 or so.

It does skew the stats for awhile (maybe a long while)

How about if you put a limit on how many minutes a person can be credited for playing a given game each day? For example, I think 30 minutes per day per game would be a reasonable limit. That would also reduce the impact of the high score club games.

Here are the games

1. Kaboom! (2600) 4,345 minutes

2. Park Patrol (C-64) 3,529

[....]

You wouldn't happen to have kept stats on how many people played each game, would you? One fanatic playing a game for 8 hours a day for a couple of weeks could make a game look pretty darned popular, so it'd be nice to know how many people played the games -- esp the top 10 or so.

It does skew the stats for awhile (maybe a long while)

How about if you put a limit on how many minutes a person can be credited for playing a given game each day? For example, I think 30 minutes per day per game would be a reasonable limit. That would also reduce the impact of the high score club games.

I thought about that before but decided against it for several reasons...

1. I don't think someone who plays one day for an hour should count less than someone who plays 30 minutes for two days.

2. I'm not sure a game shouldn't fare well in the Top Ten if someone is actually spending that much time with it.

3. Lots of people only post once per week with their stats for the full week. They would have to include additional information for me to know how many times they played.

4. If we could get more people to post, one person would have a very difficult time skewing the stats.

OK, here are my times for this week... (Yes, I know I'm the type of guy who plays the same game for several hours in total, or sometimes for two hours or more straight, during one week)... but at least I played several different games this week, reviewing many homebrew games that were posted here in the last weeks:

DROL (Atari 8-bit) 282 minutes (in 4 sessions) (that's the 8-bit HSC game of this week)

Star Wars: The empire strikes back (Parker Brothers) (2600) 241 minutes (in 3 sessions) (the 2600 HSC game of this week)

Eggs (Arcade) 107 minutes (in 2 sessions) (the Arcade/MAME HSC game of this week)

Frantic (Colecovision) 93 minutes (in 2 sessions) (cool new homebrew similar to Berzerk, but still a bit unpolished)

Jr. Pac Man (7800) 70 minutes (tried out the new version with intermissions, but didn't make it to the 3rd one)

Intensity (C-64) 30 minutes (remembered this game, but - uh - I think I've got enough of this one for now)

K.O.Cruiser (2600) 9 minutes (I think that's the "release candidate" now, but I'm not that much into boxing games)

Wasp! (7800) 3 minutes (I quit playing this rather quickly after I realized it never gets any harder)

Ballblazer (WIP) (2600) 2 minutes (this isn't really a game yet, so no point in playing it for longer)

Ant Demo (2600) 1 minute (well, only a running ant... had tried everything you can do after a minute)

That's about 14 hours in total! I could only afford that much time because Monday was free (Easter Monday).

A note to Drol which I think fits here best: The title screen says this game is by Aik Beng. Actually, his name, according to MobyGames, is Benny Aik Beng Ngo, who seems to be a relative of Tony Ngo, who created Park Patrol. Together they also created "Bandits" for Sirius, and Tony Ngo also designed "Squish 'em", also for Sirius. And actually, you can see some similarities between "Drol" and "Park Patrol"... the usage of high-resolution graphics with heavy use of software sprites (which also applies to Bandits, but not to Squish 'Em), and some similarities in the fonts used. I have to admit I like all of Tony and Benny Ngo's games, at least the ones they're credited for.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Okay, this time I kept track of all the games I played, not only Atari games. VCS games are played on real hardware unless stated otherwise.

Star Wars Episode III (GB Adv) -- 150 min

Played using Emulator,

I just felt an urge to play that game after seeing the movie again...

Enduro (VCS) -- 60 min

I'm getting better... ;)

Quake (PC) -- 40 min

Played using the "JoeQuake" engine, which features superior graphics.

Battle Isle (PC) -- 40 min

Played using the DOSbox Emulator.

Actually it was "Data Disk One", I still can't win the very first mission! :x

And the usual stuff...

Pac-Man (VCS) -- 30 min

Centipede (VCS) -- 30 min

Total: 350 min

Thats almost 6 hours, but I would've played more if I had more time...

Edited by Herbarius

Major Changes in the Week #16 Top Ten. Lots of new games added for the Atari 8-bit. The 5200 and Colecovision also get lots of play...

1. DROL (A-8bit) 282 minutes

2. Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back (2600) 241

3. Air Raid (2600) 145

4. Eggs (Arcade) 107

5. Kaboom! (2600) 103

6. Frantic (COLV) 93

7. Galaxian (COLV) 85

8. Pepper II (COLV) 80

9. Defender (COLV) 75

10. Jr. Pacman (7800) 70

Keep posting!

Edited by cvga

Major Changes in the Week #16 Top Ten. Lots of new games added for the Atari 8-bit. The 5200 and Colecovision also get lots of play...

1. DROL (A-8bit) 282 minutes

2. Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back (2600) 241

3. Air Raid (2600) 145

4. Eggs (Arcade) 107

5. Kaboom! (2600) 103

6. Frantic (COLV) 93

7. Galaxian (COLV) 85

8. Pepper II (COLV) 80

9. Defender (COLV) 75

10. Jr. Pacman (7800) 70

Keep posting!

I guess the nice weather was responsible for keeping the times low in the bottom half of the table...

Doing yard work, renovating a bathroom and building an arcade cabinet has significantly cut into playing time for me.