IGNORED

How on earth did Halloween become a holy grail?

homerwannabee

Was it because it was featured on the Video Game Nerd? I don't know but seeing this game with an instruction manual at $390.00 makes we wonder. There is still a couple of hours left as well. Really $390. Just think about the price here for a second. Think about it. Say two people were to meet at a collectors meet and the trade involved an Out of Control with Manual and a Halloween with Manual. Believe it or not the person who traded the Halloween with manual for the Out of Control with Manual was the one that got ripped off in this situation. Never in a thousand years would I have foreseen Halloween being one of the most expensive games for this system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-2600-Halloween-w...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by homerwannabee

I think alot of it has to do with having to bid agenst movie buffs with either of the Wizard titles. Halloween being the more popular of the 2 in horrorland. Just think, where is the proto of Halloween? In a horror movie fans display case and not in a video game console :x

I think alot of it has to do with having to bid agenst movie buffs with either of the Wizard titles. Halloween being the more popular of the 2 in horrorland. Just think, where is the proto of Halloween? In a horror movie fans display case and not in a video game console :x

Yeah, you're right basically horror movie fans have totally pimpslapped Atari 2600 fans when it comes to these two games.

It only takes one stupid bidder with an insanely high maximum proxy bid to trigger something like this.

Yes, stupid bidder indeed. I am pretty sure this is probably some movie buff. That is a shit load of money for that game. I won an auction last year where the Halloween game was barely visible. I was not even sure if it was Halloween until I got the lot. Within a day or two I had a person contact me who was a horror movie buff and offered me $300.00 for the game. Then again, it may be an Atari collector who has had this game elude them for many years and it on their small want list. I think I waited 6 or 7 years before I got my first one. All speculation of course. I know one thing; the seller must be :) Cheers, FB

It only takes one stupid bidder with an insanely high maximum proxy bid to trigger something like this.

Yes, stupid bidder indeed. I am pretty sure this is probably some movie buff. That is a shit load of money for that game. I won an auction last year where the Halloween game was barely visible. I was not even sure if it was Halloween until I got the lot. Within a day or two I had a person contact me who was a horror movie buff and offered me $300.00 for the game. Then again, it may be an Atari collector who has had this game elude them for many years and it on their small want list. I think I waited 6 or 7 years before I got my first one. All speculation of course. I know one thing; the seller must be :) Cheers, FB

I would have sold it and then pony'd up the extra $100 to get a boxed one :P

I would have sold it and then pony'd up the extra $100 to get a boxed one :P

;) You know me to well! I did not get the boxed one yet though.

The funny thing is this game seems easier to find now (although more expensive) then it was a few years ago.

I would have to agree with this. It seems more are coming out of the woodwork. When I was actively searching for it; it seemed to be a bitch to find. Maybe only in my area, but I did a lot of asking around. Texas Chainsaw Massacre seems to be the easier of the two to find.

The funny thing is this game seems easier to find now (although more expensive) then it was a few years ago.

I would have to agree with this. It seems more are coming out of the woodwork. When I was actively searching for it; it seemed to be a bitch to find. Maybe only in my area, but I did a lot of asking around. Texas Chainsaw Massacre seems to be the easier of the two to find.

I still say either one of the Wizard titles loose are not worth more than $50 bucks and spending any more than that is just buying into the hype.

This game sold on Ebay (without a manual) for about $80.00 last month. I have a repro of the game but was going to bid on this one anyway.

But not at these prices...

It looks like two people involved in a bidding war. Take away these two and the high bid would be $89.00 - which is far more reasonable.

I hope several Halloweens get listed because of this. Maybe I can finally get an original for a decent price. This auction is a fluke if you ask me.

A TCM with manual, offered by the same seller, is at a (relatively) more reasonable $51.69 at the moment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Halloween auction was ludicrous...

This game sold on Ebay (without a manual) for about $80.00 last month. I have a repro of the game but was going to bid on this one anyway.

But not at these prices...

It looks like two people involved in a bidding war. Take away these two and the high bid would be $89.00 - which is far more reasonable.

I hope several Halloweens get listed because of this. Maybe I can finally get an original for a decent price. This auction is a fluke if you ask me.

It makes me want to put my copy up on Ebay. I found it last summer at a local Goodwill for $2.

Well if you think about it, the people who paid $100-$125 for the game with manual two years ago have a really big incentive to sell.

Very true, I would sell if I had one. This is one of the few titles that has escaped me....I have only owned the hand written label version. I actually turned down a label version for $70 a few years ago because I thought it was too beat up (around 7/10 condition and the label was a little off center) In the last 6 months or so I have seen several Halloween's for sale so I think you are right Homer....sell em if you got em - lol

I would have ageed with Shawn sr comment about these being worth about $50 each but I would say more like....

Texas Chainsaw loose - $50

Halloween loose - $80

Is probably a little more accurate. Halloween is the rarer of the 2, at any given time atari2600.com has several TCM in stock at a reasonable price ($50-$60), in the last few years I have only seen 1 or 2 Loose Halloween's offered by them. What do you guys think the labeless versions are worth? They are technically more rare but far less desirable, maybe $30 or so?

A TCM with manual, offered by the same seller, is at a (relatively) more reasonable $51.69 at the moment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the Halloween auction was ludicrous...

Just to further prove that none of this makes any sense anymore, this TCM auction WITHOUT the manual has been up for less than a day and is already at $62.85... :?:

Wow, talk about lame. I hope to get this game someday, only loose, but at this rate I can forget it. I do hope this is just a two-bidder war, as it seems, but man $455? You have to be kidding me. You have to wonder sometimes. Case in point, the Dick Tracy action Figure of 'The Blank' generally sells for around 300-700 MOC. But people are stupid, they ONLY search in Canada (primarily, because of its history) and the US. So what happens? I notice one appears from some seller in Belgium and I nab it for $80. Put that shite in an acrylic, UV box, maybe have it graded and sell it again. Probably make at least 300 on the stupid thing. Might even hold onto it for a decade or so. If you're saavy enough, you can get a game like this for next to nothing, or comparably. People just get too excited when they see it, but keep in mind this is a case where the seller has listed it right. I can't tell you how many auctions for decent or even rare items I've won where the seller stupidily mispelled it. My wife used to collect My Little Pony dolls, and on a hunch I put in my saved searches My Litte Pony and sure enough, a few months later, an auction appeared with a rare one in it. Bought it, and then promptly sold for a hefty profit. Patience is key, unless you don't give a crap.