IGNORED

Rare bought out.. by Microsoft??

NE146

Whoops, didn't see this when I started a new thread, based on seeing word on IGNsider.

I hope N is able to leverage the cash to luring a greater amount of third parties...and while I loooooved Blast Corps and Diddy Kong Racing on the N64, nothing else they did on the platform *really* excited me, though losing exclusive rights with the company who did Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie (and to a lesser extent Conker's and DK64) has gotta hurt...

Who knows, maybe Xbox will get more "gotta haveits" than Halo and I'll have to swallow my Nintendo fanboy pride and get one.

Hmm, I can't stand Rares games anyway..at least, nothing they've done since 1984. Nintendo has plenty of their kind of stuff already, it could do with shedding a bit.

I'm not sure Rares selloff can really help the Xbox - which needs new games quickly, a word not usually associated with rare releses.

Hmm, I can't stand Rares games anyway..at least, nothing they've done since 1984.

Hehe, I thought R.C. Pro Am on the NES was past '84 :)

What I never get, is how crappy most of the current Konami output is. They were the NES gods back then, with every title rated 85+, but now on the GBA they did good Castlevania & ISS so far, but another 65 crap titles...

Greetings,

Manuel

If the rumors about Nintendo dumping Rare to buy exclusivity with Sega are true, then I'd happily trade Rare for Sega.

sega working only for nintendo is baaaaadd!!! i neevr want to see it.

if they were going to make games for one system, why not stick with dreamcast but just not make any more systems?

still what will big N do?

It's worth noting also that the Rare we see here bears little resemblance to the team that produced Goldeneye etc.. Most of the real talent has left to form their own companies and games (Timesplitters for instance)

RC Pro am, yeah - that was pretty good - The 'pre 84' rare that I was referring to was when they used to make amazing games for the ZX Spectrum under the name 'Ultimate - play the game'

If the rumors about Nintendo dumping Rare to buy exclusivity with Sega are true, then I'd happily trade Rare for Sega.

if they were going to make games for one system, why not stick with dreamcast but just not make any more systems?

Sega working only for Nintendo is MUCH better than working only for M$ or $ony. Nintendo and Sega have had a mutual respect all these years, even though they've been competitors.

The rumors started off as Sega joining forces exclusively with one of the three big hardware makers. Only since the acquisition of Rare by M$ have the rumors pointed Sega towards Nintendo.

yet only 1.9% of Nintendos 2002 games sales were Rare games.

Oh, Starfox dinosaur planet will be their last Nintendo only game for the foreseeable future. I won't really miss them, they're a bit like psygnosis - once a hot property, bought up by a major, dropped by same major and have not really shone since. We've seen the best of Rare

Rare did Donkey Kong Country in the early 90s...it sold 10 Million copies....one of the all time gaming masterpieces.

The Stamper brothers figured out a way to use SGI workstation rendered true 3D graphics and place them in a 2D world. The results (If you have never played it) were spectacular...so much so that the next generation console, the playstation never made anything that looked that good.

Rare rocked.

yet only 1.9% of Nintendos 2002 games sales were Rare games.  

Oh, Starfox dinosaur planet will be their last Nintendo only game for the foreseeable future.  I won't really miss them, they're a bit like psygnosis - once a hot property, bought up by a major, dropped by same major and have not really shone since.  We've seen the best of Rare

What do you mean by this? Who bought them then dropped them, that made them not really shine since?

Well, like Psygnosis, Rare are an independent games developer who were more-or-less bought out as a second party developer to a console company (in Rares case, Nintendo, in psygnosis's case, Sony) - under the guidance of which, they continued to do some excellent work. Psygnosis were later dropped by Sony (legal problems as far as I can remember) and never really shone since. Rare will doubtless do the same, as most of their key talent (like Psygnosis) have already left.

Personally, I've always hated the idea of exclusivity contracts... it's this kind of crap that made me hate Nintendo back in the 80's. After all, didn't they get sued for this? I can't imagine Sega getting bound into something like this. Sega is such a well known company that they shouldn't have any problems with being bound into restrictive contracts like this (eg: Nintendo says "Please sign this saying you won't work for anyone else", Sega flips them the bird, Nintendo says "... just kidding! Really! Come back! ... please..?")

Anyways, I agree that Rare is past it's prime. They made some great stuff for the N64 (Although I personally think DKC is completely overrated. It's just another platformer), but that's all. Now, if they could do another Conker's Bad Fur Day, maybe they could regain some of their lost thunder...

Psygnosis was much better back in the days of the Amiga. Games like Shadow Of The Beast and Blood Money were killer! Their games were always so damn hard though....

--Zero

Sega working only for Nintendo is MUCH better than working only for M$ or $ony. Nintendo and Sega have had a mutual respect all these years, even though they've been competitors.

The rumors started off as Sega joining forces exclusively with one of the three big hardware makers. Only since the acquisition of Rare by M$ have the rumors pointed Sega towards Nintendo.

maybe because both have been developing games for so long that it coudl be a good partnership. but i think sega will limit themselves if they only stay on gamecube, i wish that each sega game had an x box gamecube and ps 2 version. i was hoping that was theie plan when dreamcast went RIP, but hasnt hapened yet, save for those pesky sports games.