IGNORED

Spreading the love with Free Games and more! - 3rd Edition!

ClassicGMR

To help clear up some confusion. :)

Hi,

I claimed a few items on this thread and in return I donated a few items. When I claim an item, who pays for shipping? The Claimer? Or the donator? I'm getting messages from different members saying I pay shipping for the items I donate and others saying I pay shipping for items I claim. Which is it?

It depends on who the item is from. Most people are putting stuff up for "free" if the claimant will pay shipping. Others - like me - have put stuff up and I will just send it(unless it is a heavy item). It is entirely up to the person giving it.

In the old thread, it was a general consensus that the donator pays shipping unless its a large item(s). This makes it easier then having someone paypal or money order a few dollars for shipping. For example, if someone claims the NES games I just put up, I'd pay for it and the claimer would do the same to the next person with whatever they offered. Circle of life :)

In the old thread, it was a general consensus that the donator pays shipping unless its a large item(s). This makes it easier then having someone paypal or money order a few dollars for shipping. For example, if someone claims the NES games I just put up, I'd pay for it and the claimer would do the same to the next person with whatever they offered. Circle of life :)

Hopefully more than one person will claim those NES games. The thread is called "Spreading the love", not "Hording the love" :ponder:

Does that seem right??

This isn't (supposed to be) about any kind of tit-for-tat, it's (supposed to be) about finding homes for the stuff cluttering up our houses.

When I started giving stuff away to AtariAge members it was essentially a way of giving something back to the community. I don't collect boxes, so when I end up with a bunch from an eBay lot, I pass'em along to folks who'll actually appreciate them. I don't like selling damaged goods on eBay, so if I find a rare game that works fine but has a big chunk missing, I'd just as soon give it to an AA member who just wants to play it.

Mine aren't the only valid reasons for participating in this kind of swap, of course -- my point is that "value" isn't really supposed to come into play much, because the whole point is just to get things from someone with no use for them to someone who'll actually get pleasure from them.

I sound like a damn hippie, don't I?

To help clear up some confusion. :)

Hi,

I claimed a few items on this thread and in return I donated a few items. When I claim an item, who pays for shipping? The Claimer? Or the donator? I'm getting messages from different members saying I pay shipping for the items I donate and others saying I pay shipping for items I claim. Which is it?

It depends on who the item is from. Most people are putting stuff up for "free" if the claimant will pay shipping. Others - like me - have put stuff up and I will just send it(unless it is a heavy item). It is entirely up to the person giving it.

Well even in the old thread there were items that I claimed that I ended up having to pay shipping on and others I didn't. It depended on who was offering them and how bad I wanted them I guess.

I'll add NES Dragon Warrior and Stinger to the ones I posted above.

Well, thats alot better. I was just worried that people might be taking advantage of the good will of others.

I've never taken advantage of anyone on this or any other forum EVER nor will I ever do such a thing. I find the insinuation insulting frankly.

Well, thats alot better. I was just worried that people might be taking advantage of the good will of others.

I've never taken advantage of anyone on this or any other forum EVER nor will I ever do such a thing. I find the insinuation insulting frankly.

Also you did say that you were going to look for more to add to make it even, when you claimed those items.

Also you did say that you were going to look for more to add to make it even, when you claimed those items.

Absolutely, I wouldn't have claimed the gameboy games (which are for my daughter BTW) unless I knew I had something similar to offer in return. As to sending them all to one person or spreading them out. I'm fine either way. In some ways sending them to one person is easier and cheaper but I'll do either, whatever anyone wants is fine with me :)

I apologize, I was in the wrong; I have been having an unpleasant day.

If they're still available, I claim the following:

Mirage1972's Dig Dug (VCS)

midnight magicman's Mario Bros. (VCS)

Christophero Sly's Pocket Fighter (PS1)

lgallair's Leather Nintendo chain wallet

In return, I offer:

Face Ball - Cart only, lower label corners slightly lifted (Game Boy)

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - Cart only, near-pristine (Game Boy)

Daedalian Opus - Cart only, near-pristine (Game Boy)

Airlock - Cart only, highly creased label (VCS)

Super Football - Cart only, minor scuffs and very slight label tearing (VCS)

I will send PMs tomorrow morning.

Edited by TheHoboInYourRoom

With the shipping situation:

This stuff is free, so I won't complain when someone wants me to pay shipping. I just make sure to keep tabs so the next thing I offer up includes (+shipping) where applicable.

Also, with the whole idea of making sure you offer up something that's equal in value, let's not get too anal about it ok? I mean, if I claim, say, 4 games I just go to digipress & get a general idea of value & throw up the same # of games if they're in the same ballpark valuewise. I WOULD NOT, however, claim a system & put up a couple common games in it's place. I have a system ready to go on the boards as soon as I claim one. :)

Peace

This stuff is free, so I won't complain when someone wants me to pay shipping. I just make sure to keep tabs so the next thing I offer up includes (+shipping) where applicable.

Also, with the whole idea of making sure you offer up something that's equal in value, let's not get too anal about it ok? I mean, if I claim, say, 4 games I just go to digipress & get a general idea of value & throw up the same # of games if they're in the same ballpark valuewise. I WOULD NOT, however, claim a system & put up a couple common games in it's place. I have a system ready to go on the boards as soon as I claim one. :)

Peace

Just wanted to add a reminder that this thread works both ways. It lets us have access to free stuff, but at the same time it helps others clear out their trade bins of stuff that might not otherwise sell. That's a lot of why I post here, just to get the trade bin cleared. This thread has helped that out a LOT.

Regarding the shipping situation, I actually didn't remember from the other threads any hard and fast rule on that. But in any case, my opinion and action would have been the same. I gave away quite a lot of items, most of them not super-valuable, but high in number. So far, I've sent out 10 separate boxes/envelopes and I forget the total shipping, but it was hovering around $40. It wouldn't be worth it to me to pay $40 to get rid of my pile of common doubles and other stuff, but it tended to be worth it to people for a few bucks for a few free carts. In all cases (except 1 cart) it ended up being less than a buck a cart, far less if you took a bunch of carts. Then, I in turn paid shipping on the 2 items that are being sent to me. This also makes sense to me because you're paying however much it costs to get the item you're getting shipped to you (if that makes sense, I just woke up).

In other words, it seems to me it should be up to the individual persons making the trade whether it's worth it to them. That's what I remember from thread #1... work it out between giver and receiver. Since I said upfront "you pay shipping plus paypal fee", anyone not thinking that's a good deal for what they wanted was entirely free to not request it.

Peace

Just wanted to add a reminder that this thread works both ways. It lets us have access to free stuff, but at the same time it helps others clear out their trade bins of stuff that might not otherwise sell. That's a lot of why I post here, just to get the trade bin cleared. This thread has helped that out a LOT.

Right, exactly. I have most of my trade bin cleared out to make more space and less clutter. It was a nice side-effect that there was a couple PC games that I was considering buying anyway, so... bonus.

Sorry for the three posts, this is an item update:

Dig Dug has two requests. The right of first refusal is to TheHoboInYourRoom, if it's worth the (I think) $1.72 +PayPal = ~$2 to send it to him, otherwise, I have another taker in line after. In any case, it's gone.

So, new GONE stuff:

Donkey Kong Junior

Pitfall

Demon Attack

Riddle of the Sphinx

Star Voyager

Dig Dug

Mapping The Atari book

DOS 3 book

ClassicGMR:

My Intellivision Skiing and Space Armada are GONE.

My pile is really getting down to slim pickin's (which is good for me). I suppose I'll just leave the rest of the stuff up, you never know who may come along and need them I guess.

Honestly to avoid more confusion, I think there should be 2 separate thread of the same ilk.

One where the Claimee pays shipping and all heavy items should be in that thread.

The Other should be this original one. Where the offerer pays shipping as well.

I paid about $20 to ship a few items at Christmas time (and a few other times before that effort) and when i really didnt have it to spare but it was my decision to offer it. I also claimed some things and didnt pay to have them shipped so I suppose if you intend on participating in receiving items as well as giving, then the original thread makes more sense. Paypal would only be getting money for no reason in my opinion as well for these smaller transactions. Anything $5 and under I have no problem paying to ship and when I claim something, I expect the same kind regard to be extended to me.

The Original thread by RRed was to "pay it forward" and leave out transferring any funds and to be reciprocal in nature and I think that is how this thread should continue. That being said, I think there should be 2 threads. Or if you do not want to pay shipping, you should just offer it in a trade post or offer it free but claimee pays shipping, in another thread or have a separate thread where the Claimee pays shipping and that is clear and all heavy items should be there because its nice enough for someone to offer say a system, but then if the offerer has to pay $20 to ship something, well I dont think thats fair IMO.

Again, heavy things, the claimee should pay the shipping IMO so why not a separate thread and if someone wants to offer something but dont plan on claiming anything, they can add it to the Claimee pays shipping thread. Maybe thats even more complicated but I would be willing to help with the new thread if that causes less confusion. Some people I think just want to get rid of things, which is fine, and dont want to claim anything so the claimee should pay for the free item in that instance IMO. And again, all heavy items should be paid for by claimees as well. Just my opinion. Maybe I made it more confusing but in my brain, it makes sense. And if it's a bad idea, no biggie either. Im not looking for an arguement either, just trying to help come up with a clear resolution to the confusion, especially among new comers to this thread. Cheers

Edited by Phantom

Honestly to avoid more confusion, I think there should be 2 separate thread of the same ilk.

One where the Claimee pays shipping and all heavy items should be in that thread.

The Other should be this original one. Where the offerer pays shipping as well.

I paid about $20 to ship a few items at Christmas time (and a few other times before that effort) and when i really didnt have it to spare but it was my decision to offer it. I also claimed some things and didnt pay to have them shipped so I suppose if you intend on participating in receiving items as well as giving, then the original thread makes more sense. Paypal would only be getting money for no reason in my opinion as well for these smaller transactions. Anything $5 and under I have no problem paying to ship and when I claim something, I expect the same kind regard to be extended to me.

The Original thread by RRed was to "pay it forward" and leave out transferring any funds and to be reciprocal in nature and I think that is how this thread should continue. That being said, I think there should be 2 threads. Or if you do not want to pay shipping, you should just offer it in a trade post or offer it free but claimee pays shipping, in another thread or have a separate thread where the Claimee pays shipping and that is clear and all heavy items should be there because its nice enough for someone to offer say a system, but then if the offerer has to pay $20 to ship something, well I dont think thats fair IMO.

Again, heavy things, the claimee should pay the shipping IMO so why not a separate thread and if someone wants to offer something but dont plan on claiming anything, they can add it to the Claimee pays shipping thread. Maybe thats even more complicated but I would be willing to help with the new thread if that causes less confusion. Some people I think just want to get rid of things, which is fine, and dont want to claim anything so the claimee should pay for the free item in that instance IMO. And again, all heavy items should be paid for by claimees as well. Just my opinion. Maybe I made it more confusing but in my brain, it makes sense. And if it's a bad idea, no biggie either. Im not looking for an arguement either, just trying to help come up with a clear resolution to the confusion, especially among new comers to this thread. Cheers

IMO, and again, just an opinion, that's making it harder than it needs to be. Especially if this breaks out into multiple threads for different shipping methods. I think it would die at that point. I totally agree about PayPal not getting the fees, but... you know, that's sometimes the breaks. I do now remember in a previous thread it being said that giver pays shipping, but I also clearly remember it being said at another point that it's to be worked out between parties, which still makes total sense to me. Just work it out amongst yourselves, or in some cases, just state that taker pays shipping up front.

I sure hope no one that I gave stuff to was put off by my asking them to pay shipping (though I was clear from my first post). Really, having to pay $40 (now over $50 after today's shipments) would have frankly made me never have offered free stuff to begin with. The stuff I ended up taking only ended up costing probably $6 total to ship. How right would that have been? Certainly not any sort of value for me. That's the case I'm making for taker pays shipping OR just work it out amongst yourselves for each particular trade. In a way it's easier for giver to just pay shipping, but in so many other ways, it just makes it a lot more complex.

I hope no one thinks I'm being a scrooge. That's not my intention at all. I just tried to give a lot of stuff away to people who would appreciate it, in the only way that made any sense to me in my particular situation.