IGNORED

Am I missing Something Here (EBAY)?

Tempest

Am I missing something here? Is there something ultra rare in this lot that I don't see?

EBAY Auction

Home Filing Manager, Mailing List, and Touch Typing are all pretty common. You can get some if not all of these NIB from B&C or Best. Graph It is a bit more uncommon, but not impossible to find. Same with Microsoft BASIC, it's not all that common, but it's not really rare either. I'm completely baffled by the current price.

Tempest

Hmm I saw that one the other day and completely passed it by. If you look at the bid history it was at $45.00 and then went to $347.89. Perhaps the 7th bid was meant to be $47? Still doesn't explain why what looks to be a new bidder bid it up to the current price.

That is jaw dropping. There is nothing there. Nothing.

I can't believe there are two people who could bid that much. Not even by mistake. I also don't think there is shill bidding involved here, since the history of that seller is long with no record of crazy auctions in the past.

Maybe one of those boring products has a function that was later patented by a big company and an attorney needs to show prior art to demonstrate that the technique was known and in use as early as 1982?

Sorry - best I can come up with.

It's merely another example of a seller who knows nothing of the collector market / fair value of the items (s)he is selling, and isn't adept enough to research what similar items have sold for in the past..

What would the seller have anything to do with it in this case? They started the auction at 99 cents. It's the bidders who don't know the market in this case.

Back when I was selling a lot of books on ebay around 2000 or so, I had a couple people get into a bidding war over a book and it went to $252. The book was still in print and available at bookstores for about $20. This wasn't a different edition, signed, or anything like that... nothing different or special about it, but these two fools just had to beat each other. I'm stupid, so I wrote to the "winner" and said I couldn't take their money, and suggested they go buy it at B&N. I think I wrote the same advice to the "loser". If I had less integrity, I'd have taken the money. There's just no accounting for stupidity.

It's merely another example of a seller who knows nothing of the collector market / fair value of the items (s)he is selling, and isn't adept enough to research what similar items have sold for in the past..

What would the seller have anything to do with it in this case? They started the auction at 99 cents. It's the bidders who don't know the market in this case.

Ahh.. So it is.. Hmmm.. Gotta be some dumbass "collector" thing.. Those items are worthless to me..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

This is what happened with Jaguar goods, one or two idiots start artificially inflating the market, scraping up everything for cheap that they can. At the same time bidding up everywhere else... SS4U is the prime example. And then after a couple of years everyone gets use to it and the community sloughs off leaving only high priced collectors remaining. The bones of community ripe for the picking as they give in.

Hmm I saw that one the other day and completely passed it by. If you look at the bid history it was at $45.00 and then went to $347.89. Perhaps the 7th bid was meant to be $47? Still doesn't explain why what looks to be a new bidder bid it up to the current price.

Even if you slip and hit 470, it only goes up until you outbid the last person.

So, this result would require two people to bid it up this high...

That is jaw dropping. There is nothing there. Nothing.

I can't believe there are two people who could bid that much. Not even by mistake. I also don't think there is shill bidding involved here, since the history of that seller is long with no record of crazy auctions in the past.

Maybe one of those boring products has a function that was later patented by a big company and an attorney needs to show prior art to demonstrate that the technique was known and in use as early as 1982?

Sorry - best I can come up with.

That theory is as good as any... maybe there is a reason... and we just don't know it....

no, you can make an opening bid of any amount you want.

But you are correct, usually this sort of thing uses more than one dummy to get there.

Even if you slip and hit 470, it only goes up until you outbid the last person.

So, this result would require two people to bid it up this high...

I noticed over the holiday a first run Gameboy Advance sell for more than a new SP costs at retail. It had NO distinguishing features or even any loose games with it, just a regular used old style gameboy advance. There were perhaps 50 other auctions running for them that were ending with prices like $20 or even less. All the bidders had to do was LOOK and find even a buy it now auction for $30 to save a ton of money.

I will never understand the mentality or lack thereof that some people bring to ebay and I can only hope that one day they will bid on one of MY auctions. Like right now I have a MINT boxed copy w/ manual of the Sega 32X version of Blackthorne it would be nice to see it go for more than $50 which I have seen it go for in the very recent past.

some ones are not easy to find in good condition

i'm looking for in the 400/800 line

Microsoft's Basic

Home Filing Manager

Touch Typing

;)

Actually that's true. Those big Atari 400/800 boxes that I love so much don't seem to stand up particularly well. Most of mine look like they've been sat on more than once.

Tempest