IGNORED

Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection coming soon..

cimerians

I think it adds a bit of replay value.

I thought pinball already had replay value?

If you went to a real arcade with a pocket full of quarters, you could play any pinball game you wanted. They didn't say you had to play certain games before you could move on to others. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection has a simulated arcade. When we buy the game, we should essentially have 30 dollars worth of quarters in our pockets at the start. Now let us play whatever pinball games we want.

Feel free to have a tournament/career mode for dick measurers and those who crave a pat on the head, but always make sure there's a true free mode for the rest of us.

When we buy the game, we should essentially have 30 dollars worth of quarters in our pockets at the start. Now let us play whatever pinball games we want.

Errrrr That's exactly how the game works. You start off with about $30 in quarters and you earn more more quarters by beating the goals (Set off multi-ball, get 2,000,000 points etc...)on any table you feel like playing. These are for the most part easy goals, especially the first round so you'll have $100's of dollars worth in quarters before you know it.

I think what Gabriel was talking about was unlocking free-play on every table. Which really isn't a big deal if you plan on playing this game for a bit. I'm not what I consider a great pinball player and I have almost all the free-plays unlocked.

Really is kind of silly to argue how terrible a game is without playing it first. Go rent it if your scared you won't have fun.

Edited by moycon

Errrrr That's exactly how the game works.

I thought he was saying there were games you couldn't play until you reached goals on other games? So I read that wrong?

If I had the extra money to rent it, I don't know where I'd rent it from. Seems like every time I turn around another video store is closing.

Is there a "Klov" wiki type website out there for pinball games?

This might be similar:

http://www.ipdb.org/

Thanks and this looks KICK ASS!

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2252&picno=3176

and this!

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2252&picno=3175

I remember this one in a local mall waaaay back in the early 80's, I only played it a few times cause the mall was too far away for me and I couldnt take my bike there. :D

When we buy the game, we should essentially have 30 dollars worth of quarters in our pockets at the start. Now let us play whatever pinball games we want.

No. We shouldn't. The game should be set so I can play it whenever I want. Seriously, would people have praised the Atari Anthology and Midway Arcade Treasures if only certain games could be played on free play and you had to play those in order to earn credits to play anything else? "Sorry, you can't have free play on Joust until you've met these 10 goals on Toobin'."

What this pinball collection does is start you out with a sum of tokens as if you had run a $5 bill through the token machine. Half the games are set for free play. The other half are playable, but are set to require a quarter to play. You can earn more tokens by playing the free play machines, but it's slow. Once you've unlocked all the goals you're capable of, the token earning slows down to however often you can pop the machine. You can unlock a machine for free play with tokens, but it costs 100. That translates into grinding for machine pops.

Admittedly, I suck at pinball, but that's irrelevant. The credit system should not have been in the game. I bought a game disc to play in my own home. I didn't put a $5 into a token machine.

As for replay value, the game already has that in abundance without the stupid credit system. All it serves as is an obstacle to playing some of the more interesting looking machines.

No. We shouldn't. The game should be set so I can play it whenever I want.

That's what I meant, in my own backwards way. We paid for the game, so we should be able to play anything we want without needing to earn quarters or whatever. I don't really want 30 dollars worth of quarters in the game. I just want to play any pinball game at any time as much as I want. I don't want to be forced to play one game to get more quarters to play another.

Edited by Random Terrain

I managed to make some progress today.

I FINALLY managed to get 300K in Gorgar. That gave me my last goal for that table which I used to unlock free play on Black Knight.

I also managed to activate the super jets on Medieval Madness. That was the last one I needed on that table, and I used my unlock to get free play on Space Shuttle.

Space Shuttle's goals were easy enough that I managed to unlock them all on the first play through. I used that one to open up free play on Sorceror.

That leaves Tales of the Arabian Knights, Firepower, No Good Gofers, and Whirlwind still under pay to play. I could unlock 2 of them with credits I have, but then I wouldn't have any credits left. I haven't tried Gofers or Whirlwind yet. I didn't really enjoy Arabian Knights when I tried it, so I'm leaning towards Firepower being the next game I unlock.

I FINALLY managed to get 300K in Gorgar. That gave me my last goal for that table which I used to unlock free play on Black Knight.

I also managed to activate the super jets on Medieval Madness. That was the last one I needed on that table, and I used my unlock to get free play on Space Shuttle.

Space Shuttle's goals were easy enough that I managed to unlock them all on the first play through. I used that one to open up free play on Sorceror.

So it sounds like maybe you're having a good time with this game in spite of it not having all the free-play unlocked? :thumbsup:

I guess I do see your point, kinda like, hey I paid my $30 and I should have it all NOW!! but honestly, it's not like they locked the tables and if you just play the game for a bit... you'll unlock all the free play anyways and later realize you have a bunch of stupid virtual coins that you'll never need to worry about again left over.

You know me though, I like it when they set goals (as long as they aren't ridiculous) for gamers to meet.

Just have to look at my gamer score!! :cool:

Feel free to have a tournament/career mode for dick measurers and those who crave a pat on the head, but always make sure there's a true free mode for the rest of us.

Wait a sec. I thought the little marks and arrows on a lot of the plungers was the dick measurer. Damn it... all of these years. I feel soooo embarassed